Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

24902 Views 114 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2009 2:49 PM by Elkwoman RSS 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
jrcaragan Amateur 11 posts since
Mar 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2008 8:26 AM

What do you think about when your running?

When I see other people running, I always wonder what they are thinking about? As for me, I usually give myself a topic and try to answer it before my run is over? Yesterdays topic was, "Obama or McCain?" Answer: For me to know, for you to find out.

• Lafomar Amateur 85 posts since
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Oct 24, 2008 9:18 AM (in response to jrcaragan)
    Re: What do you think about when your running?

Whatever pops into my head at the time. I guess it depends on what is going on that particular day/week. There are some days that I just listen (and horridly sing) to the music while tuning out all other thoughts!

Mary

Mardi Gras Marathon 2009- 2:15:23

Next Race Up----To Be Determined.....lol

• Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Oct 24, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

What I'm going to eat when I'm done.  I run through entire menus in my head!  When I was running with my group this past Tuesday, I figured out what my post-marathon meal will be: a double hamburger, fries and a chocolate shake from the Shake Shack.  I'm afraid there will be a long line (as there usually is) so I'm going to bring a quarter with me during the race.  (Do calls still cost a quarter?)  As soon as I cross that finish line, I'll hightail it to the nearest pay phone to call my friends to let them know I'm done and get them to start lining up.

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• Rschw Expert 52 posts since
    Jul 23, 2008
    3. Oct 24, 2008 12:49 PM (in response to Yodiwan)

I love that idea.....mmmmmmm.....food.....  That might actually help my time!!!  I play this game where I pick a spot on my run where I will stop because every time I go out I decide "I am not going to run far today this will be an easy day for me".  And then I pass that spot and just keep going.  When I get home I map my run and see how far I ran past my stopping point!!!!  I know - it's crazy!  But I'm hoping the day will come when I will not be consumed with thoughts of stopping. R

• Timaay Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 24, 2008
    4. Oct 24, 2008 6:54 PM (in response to jrcaragan)

About how much I want to stop....  Lol....

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    5. Nov 5, 2008 5:07 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

I have found the running helps me to put my thoughts in order for the day and prepare for the next. 

When I run with music, it serves primarily as background to my thoughts. 

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Nov 5, 2008 8:58 PM (in response to jrcaragan)

I like to put my mind in semi-neutral when I run. If it's a training run, I'll listen to the iPod and think about something that doesn't take much mental energy; sometimes about easy problems from work, or about baseball, or about plans for the weekend. Usually I'll also watch the scenery. During a race I'll watch the other runners and the scenery.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• lachupa Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    7. Nov 6, 2008 10:35 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

I go over my plans for world domination.

either that or use the time to figure out something that I otherwise don't have time to think through whichever is more likely

Sometimes I think, dear god how is it possible for this run to be uphill both ways.

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done, well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Doctor Who

• IGottaRun Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    8. Nov 7, 2008 5:45 AM (in response to lachupa)

Right now I'm at the point where thinking about my running form and my run itself is the only thing I can think about.  I love it b/c it helps me to NOT think about stuff - my brain gets a break.  LOL!  I just focus on my body and trying to see if I can run a little bit farther this time than I did last time.  I spend half my time amazed that I am running in the first place, and the other half thinking "I can make it to the next (...tree, phone pole, puddle, etc).     I love it!  When I'm done, I'm thinking about how happy I am that I ran again!

• mickeefynn Amateur 104 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    9. Nov 7, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to IGottaRun)

My absolute favorite times are when I drift into a kind of blank, meditative place when I'm running. Usually goes along with those days I feel like I'm gliding along. Oh man! I cherish those days, few though they might be! mickeefynn

mickeefynn
  • oximoron Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 7, 2008
    10. Nov 7, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

I walk in an area where most people that I meet are runners.  So from time to time I would try but gave up becauce all I could think about was "why am I doing this. Then one day while I was walking and saying the Rosary a runner passed me and the thought poped into my head "Rosary on the run".  Since then I have been running with my beads and reciting the Mysteries ever since.  I even entered a race and won.

• oximoron Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 7, 2008
    11. Nov 7, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

I walk in an area where most people that I meet are runners. So from time to time I would try but gave up becauce all I could think about was "why am I doing this. Then one day while I was walking and saying the Rosary a runner passed me and the thought poped into my head "Rosary on the run". Since then I have been running with my beads and reciting the Mysteries ever since. I even entered a race and won.

• ejunk81 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 3, 2008
    12. Nov 7, 2008 11:41 AM (in response to oximoron)

i think about everything that's going on in my life and enjoy the scenery. Running clears my head and puts things into perspective.

• Dre Day Pro 139 posts since
    May 31, 2008
    13. Nov 7, 2008 11:48 AM (in response to jrcaragan)

i'm usually all over the place. i think a lot about upcoming races i will be doing. i think about all the GREAT insight i get from these discussions. let's see...i think about what drivers are thinking when they see me out there. i know when i see other runners when i'm driving i want to yell out, "you freakin' rock!" sometimes i think about what i will be eating or doing once my run is over. what i try to keep to a minimum is thinking about any pain i might be having that particular day. that's where my ipod comes in big time!

"Sweat is the cologne of success!" Love this friggin' quote!

• studek Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 21, 2008
    14. Nov 7, 2008 1:16 PM (in response to jrcaragan)

I'm a grad student, so running is one of the few times were I can not think! I usually listen to the sounds around me, watch the scenery, and after a certain point I focus on the sound of my breathing and my feet pounding on the road, which for some reason is totally hypnotic for me. Kinda weird, I know...

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...