Skip navigation

6118 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2008 3:05 PM by Steelers21 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • TampaTom Legend 252 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 27, 2008 6:30 PM (in response to zoom1)
    Re: Time Check

Goal Time : 4:45

Actual Time: 4:49

PR (Y/N) : Yes by 24 minutes!!

Other Comments - Man leave it to the Marines to put a hill like that at the end - made you earn the finish!!

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Oct 27, 2008 6:40 PM (in response to TampaTom)
    TampaTom wrote:

Goal Time : 4:45

Actual Time: 4:49

PR (Y/N) : Yes by 24 minutes!!

Other Comments - Man leave it to the Marines to put a hill like that at the end - made you earn the finish!!

Dam, Tom, you SCORCHED that PR.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• NicolePan Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008
    17. Oct 27, 2008 6:55 PM (in response to zoom1)

Goal Time : Between 5:00 and 5:25

Actual Time: 6:24:58

PR (Y/N) : Y- my first

Other Comments: It was definitely not what I expected. I was doing pretty good until just before the halfway point. Then, my IT Band crashed. Hard. I've never had it bother me at the knee before, but it felt like it was ripping itself off my knee. The impact of running was excruciating. Every time I bent my leg, I felt the band tearing. So I walked the second half of the race- keeping my right leg straight. Step, swing. Step, swing. Until the finish line. Then I went straight to the medical tent for ice.

I gave myself 2 goals. 1, Beat the Bridge. 2, Finish. I did both, so I'm proud of myself. There will be other races, and other marathons in my future, but for now I need to break it down and find out what I've done with my form to earn this injury- and more importantly: How I can FIX my form and run injury free.

I saw Firecat when I was crossing the bridge... I could say much more than, FIRECAT! And she turned and said, Yes? But that was really all I had.  I think I tried to mumble out something about seeing her on the boards.

All in all, it was a very nice race, the scenery was lovely. The course was awesome. I remember seeing the Tun Tavern Runners (which was awesome!). I had a great time (minus the excruciating IT band pain- everything else felt fine!). I thought it was really well organized and a lot of fun. I will do this marathon again someday, because I have to RUN it, instead of running a half marathon and walking a half marathon.

One thing is for sure, these forums have been awesome.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Oct 27, 2008 6:59 PM (in response to NicolePan)
    NicolePan wrote:

Goal Time : Between 5:00 and 5:25

Actual Time: 6:24:58

PR (Y/N) : Y- my first

Other Comments: It was definitely not what I expected. I was doing pretty good until just before the halfway point. Then, my IT Band crashed. Hard. I've never had it bother me at the knee before, but it felt like it was ripping itself off my knee. The impact of running was excruciating. Every time I bent my leg, I felt the band tearing. So I walked the second half of the race- keeping my right leg straight. Step, swing. Step, swing. Until the finish line. Then I went straight to the medical tent for ice.

I gave myself 2 goals. 1, Beat the Bridge. 2, Finish. I did both, so I'm proud of myself. There will be other races, and other marathons in my future, but for now I need to break it down and find out what I've done with my form to earn this injury- and more importantly: How I can FIX my form and run injury free.

I saw Firecat when I was crossing the bridge... I could say much more than, FIRECAT! And she turned and said, Yes? But that was really all I had.  I think I tried to mumble out something about seeing her on the boards.

All in all, it was a very nice race, the scenery was lovely. The course was awesome. I remember seeing the Tun Tavern Runners (which was awesome!). I had a great time (minus the excruciating IT band pain- everything else felt fine!). I thought it was really well organized and a lot of fun. I will do this marathon again someday, because I have to RUN it, instead of running a half marathon and walking a half marathon.

One thing is for sure, these forums have been awesome.

I remember you. You were one of those bonus friends that I didn't know I had! Congrats on the finish....and my condolences to your ITB. Go get that puppy checked out.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• NicolePan Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 4, 2008
    19. Oct 27, 2008 7:48 PM (in response to thefirecat)

Yes! That was me! And thank you! I saw the poster and had a moment of 'blurt out words'. Hehe. And yes, I will be getting it checked out, there are too many races I want to run during my lifetime to have to stop now.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    20. Oct 27, 2008 8:06 PM (in response to NicolePan)

Goal time:  4:15

Actual time:  4:14

PR:  No. (4:10:19)

Other comments:  I would have BQ'd if it hadn't been for Kevyn.  I'm kidding Kevyn!!!  I ran every step with her and it was so much fun!  We're so awesome!   Okay, I'm kidding.  But it was so fun!  I promise to BQ in Houston in January. 

Will write more, much more, more than you ever wanted to read, tomorrow.  Just got home from D.C. an hour ago (after losing my son in DFW and calling 9-1-1 and the police finding him... and having a near heart attack) and am exhausted.  Will explain later, whether you want to hear it or not.  What a fun weekend.  You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nita

• sandihas5 Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 1, 2007
    21. Oct 28, 2008 3:59 AM (in response to TampaTom)

Goal Time : 4:00.....dream 3:50

Actual Time: 4:16

PR (Y/N) : NO!  Slower by two minutes from last year.

Other Comments.........Was tripped/fell at mile 16 and banged my knee real good.....hurt the rest....stopped with a medic so I could cover it up.  Just was swollen.  I was feeling great up to then and I swear that just threw me and shook my confindence.  I was on target to finish around 4:03 or so.....the last two miles sucked.  I was with the 4 hour group for a good while....I thought to yell out names from this group but did not want to look like a crazy person.  Anyway, already have forgotten that it hurts and will be signing up again.

Cant wait to read your story Nita....sounds terribly scary!

Sandi

• jenz4911 Amateur 17 posts since
    May 3, 2008
    22. Oct 28, 2008 4:19 AM (in response to sandihas5)

Goal Time :  sub 4:10

Actual Time:  4:26:33

Comments:  I would have been right on target if it weren't for the 2 medical tent stops.  At Mile 15 I stopped at the medical tent under the overpass b/c it felt like I had a marble inside the ball of my foot, they said there was nothing they could do, possible stress fracture, so I continued on (took 3 1/2 minutes).  Between Mile 19 & 20, I was in severe pain, looking for my husband to rub out my foot, couldn't find him, so I stopped at the med. tent (for 10 minutes) where they looked at it again, saying it was a stress fracture.  If I had a history of stress fractures they were going to make me stop, but since I didn't, they taped me up and I was off.  The pain started again when we rounded the Pentagon but I wasn't going to stop, b/c if I did, I probably wouldn't be able to stop again.  I know I finished in a decent time, but I'm still bummed b/c I actually followed a training schedule. 

I see the doctor tomorrow to see about the stress fracture.  I was planning on doing the NCR Trail Marathon in MD, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling that's out and so is my running for the rest of the year.

Saw the cheering squad on the overpass, wasn't feeling too good to stop and say Hi, but thanks for being there for everyone!!

Despite my issues, I thought the race was amazing, I was trying to take it all in while running.  The spectators were incredible.  I felt like I was at the Tour de France, but running.  This is a race I will definitely do again.

Oh, by the way, my husband was about 50 feet past where the 2nd medical tent was...he was wondering where I was.

Good luck to all!!

Jennifer

• MikeyRuns08 Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    23. Oct 28, 2008 5:01 AM (in response to jenz4911)

Long time lurker, first time poster 

Goal Time :  sub 4:00 (stretch goal, sub 3:50)

Actual Time:  3:47:13

Comments:  I'm thrilled as this totally makes up for my first two marathon "disasters" 13 years ago (DNF after 22 miles, and a slow 5:50:X).

I tried to stick with the Cliff Bar 3:50 pace group, but had trouble due "traffic" early on.  At mile 8, I got a slight lead on them, and made a quick pit stop.  Once we hit M street, I was able to get past the pace group again and decided it might be easier to keep them just behind me and listen for the leader's voice.  From miles 9-18, I pulled away from the pace group slightly, but started to tire at mile 20.  I could hear the pace group creeping up on me over the 14th street bridge and was fading fast!.  Once we hit Crystal City, the pace group passed me and I worried that I might lose them and miss my goal.  However, once I saw my family, I dug deep and got my second wind.  I passed them again and never looked back!!  w00t!!  

-Mike

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    24. Oct 28, 2008 5:00 AM (in response to zoom1)

Hi guys! late check in

Goal time: 5:00 hours

Time: 4:33:47!

Pr: yes (first marathon)

Aug 21, 2007
    25. Oct 28, 2008 5:01 AM (in response to MikeyRuns08)

Wow!  Awesome finish, Mikey!  Glad you posted!

Sandi, are you in my age bracket?  Are you close to BQ'ing?  Great finish!

Everyone did great!

• MikeyRuns08 Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    26. Oct 28, 2008 5:03 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

^^^

Thanks.. I decided to add some commentary on my race too... 

D'oh.  I forgot I posted twice before that 

-Mike

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    27. Oct 28, 2008 5:11 AM (in response to TampaTom)

Goal Time : Sub-4:15

Actual Time: 4:42

PR (Y/N) : No, missed it by 34 seconds

Other Comments  I learned not to trust pace teams and to trust myself and my training more. Next time I'll take more water and do so earlier. Not taking a granola bar at mile 10 like I usually do was a mistake, so like water, next time I'll refuel earlier (I was still taking gels, but they didn't do enough for me). A disappointing run in itself, but there were lessons learned and hopefully this will encourage me to train harder and run better next time.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• sandihas5 Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 1, 2007
    28. Oct 28, 2008 5:15 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Hi Nita,

I think I am......I am 41 and need 3:50 for Boston.  I think I can do it if all my cards are in line that day......wonder if the MCM is a hard b/c of the crowds and the hills.  NOt that they are terrible hills, but hills nont-the-less. 

Sandi

Aug 21, 2007
    29. Oct 28, 2008 5:42 AM (in response to sandihas5)

Nah, I'm 46, Sandi.  I get an extra 10 minutes   Good luck!  And yes, I think MCM is difficult because of the beginning hills at least, and definitely the crowds.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...