Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

41230 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein RSS Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    255. Oct 27, 2008 10:59 AM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

I'm supposed to do W6D3 today. I am worried though, since I still have some pain when walking.

I've not had any swelling that I can see, and it does feel better than yesterday. Friday after my run, my husband and I drove about 10 hours (including stops) to the Pittsburgh area for my cousin's wedding on Saturday. I had to buy some very flat shoes for the wedding since I am not very stable on heels under normal circumstances and I had been limping for the past two days. It was probably a mistake to dance a little at the wedding. Then there was the drive home, so overall, I haven't really been able to properly excercise the ankle, but I drew the alphabet in the air with my foot a few times and stretched at rest stops.

I really want to run tonight, but I may have to do W6D3 on the elliptical at the gym. I can't decide whether to push myself a little or play it safe.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    256. Oct 27, 2008 12:20 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I would do the elipitcal at the gym and not push yourself.  Wait until you are pain free before you begin the run again.  It's better to have rested it completely than to hurt yourself more and risk a serious injury.

I would take it easy and not push yourself too hard.  I hope it feels better soon.

Christine

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    257. Oct 27, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to christine94)

XCalibur-that's rough.  It must be going around.  Today was Week7D1.  I was doing ok- not great, but ok and turning into East River Park (here in NYC) and felt something pull on my lower back to my hip.  I thought "DON"T STOP"  "RUN THROUGH IT"   I did, but really had to slow down and barely did an "extra" interval like I usually do.  It's a little discouraging, but I'm mostly concerned about trying to get through Wednesday's run- this is going to be the killer if I don't get better.  Right now, I'm sort of favoring my hip, walking a bit funny, etc.  I have iced it, used Ibuprofen and iced it some more. 

How is everybody else doing?  Peaches, why would you switch before you finish this program?  Are you concerned about running every day for three days (as in Higdon's website?)

Arne- sounds like a very pretty and scenic route. 

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    258. Oct 28, 2008 9:04 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Did 3 miles today in 36:34. And I mean to tell you today was COLD. With the windchill it said 41F, but it felt colder! Probably because I feared overdressing and had capris over my shorts. Never took off the capris and I was sweating, but a long sleeve shirt and an vest with a zipper would have been wonderful. I'll be checking out what some stores have today!

Xcaliburgirl and Dinine: That stinks! I've had some injuries that the night before a run I was convinced it wasn't going to be better...only for it to feel OK enough to run slowly on the next day. I know how discouraging those injuries/strains can be. I hope y'all can push forward or at least heal up soon!

Dinine: Most of the experienced runners here have been advising newbies to work on increasing distance or time, and later on working on speed once the endurance is in place. So I decided to move on to Hal Higdon's program because I have been running 30+ minutes for a little while now, I just need to build up distance and would like to build up days running too. Also, even with two days only being 1.5 miles, my total miles per week is 9 miles. My original plan of two 2.5 miles and one 3 miles would have added up to 8 miles total. I don't know if this is going to be the right move or not for me, but today I feel less beat up than I have after two 2.5 miles even with a day off inbetween them. Here's the thread that talks about moving up: http://community.active.com/thread/52023/where-to-run-from-here/0/15.

• bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    259. Oct 28, 2008 3:06 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Well W6D2 is in the books. I was supposed to do it on Sunday in my regular rotation but I had a pistol competition that had me out of the house before 5 AM and I didn't get home until 7:30 PM and I was too tired to attempt it then. I'm trying to keep on my regular rotation of Tu,Th, Sun so I skipped yesterday to not throw off the schedule. I really wanted to be lazy and skip today too but I just couldn't let myself because the longer I go without running the easier the excuses to skip it seem to be. Now I just have to motivate myself for the next big run on Thursday. Congrats to everyone who has stuck with it this far!

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
  • arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    260. Oct 28, 2008 3:40 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Ok, I am back again with another run. Due to the stress put on my legs in Berlin, I decided to have a much longer rest period than I would otherwise. And I think it served me well as I completed W6D1 today. I am pretty happy with my results so far, even though speed and distance were down today. It must have something to do with not being rested enough just yet... Oh well, no problem. I will have two more days off before I will be doing W6D2...

For those of you who reacted to my Berlin run, yes, it was great. It has a sense of history when you are running along Frankfurter Allee and Karl-Marx Allee in former eastern Berlin. I have taken some pictures with one of my phone camera's which I brought for that specific purpose, but as I was running, the shots are all blurred. Should have thought of that and set it for sports mode... Oh well...

You can see more of my pictures on http://flickr.com/photos/arnehulstein/ and check out the video interviews we did in Berlin on http://www.arnehulstein.nl/

Or watch the behind the scenes movie http://vimeo.com/2070953

Sep 27, 2008
    261. Oct 29, 2008 9:38 AM (in response to Peaches1975)

Hi Everyone-

I almost wimped out today in NYC.  It was cold and drizzly, but really didn't start raining until my last mile- the shower I took never felt so good.   

Anyway, Today was Week 7 Day 2.  I have been icing and ibuprofen-ing and icing my hip.  I just stretched a bit, ignored the pain and did it.  Gotta tell you-while I was running, I barely noticed it.  I did my usual extra interval ( and did a faster pace than normal b/c I was freezing and wet!).  I hope that I can sustain on Friday.

Arne- thanks for the pictures.  Peaches, thanks for the link.  I am still heaving a bit at 25 minutes; so I don't think I'm ready until I can comfortable do this program, but I like it as a resource going forward after I finish the C25k in mid November.  Speaking of which- has any of you registered for a 5K yet?  I cannot find one aound Veteran's day in NYC. I may have to do my own, sniff.

Ok everyone else, let us know how you are doing.

Dinine

Aug 12, 2008
    262. Oct 29, 2008 12:51 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Had a slow run today, 1.5 miles in 18:41. Not bad for my third day of running in a row! I'm also keeping up with the hundred pushups challenge and crunches so I'm thrilled about that.

bowhunter: I hear you about how easy it is to keep putting something off until you end up quitting the program. I'm currently not working and worry about how I'll handle 12 hour shifts (job to start in a few weeks) and running. I really like running outside, but I guess there's worse things than running on a treadmill huh?

arne: great pics and cool vids! I'm a car buff too, too cool. Oh, about being sore/tired, having some time off and then running slower on the nest run...I noticed that the next time I'd run after that, I'd make improvements from my last run.  In a way, the slow run helped put me back together for the next run?  Does that make sense?  Like the slow run ran out the bad karma or something?  LOL!

dinine: I can only imagine how cold it was for you in NY this morning! I was freezing while doing barn chores this morning in GA, LOL! And yeah, that's what the Hal Higdon program is for, something to do after the c25k stuff. And hey, I feel your pain about panting. I can't wait to have health insurance again and get myself checked out. This really does look like asthma for me.  I haven't entered any 5Ks yet (don't know which shift I'm on yet), but I sure need to start looking into stuff like that!

Curious, what is everyone's intentions after making 5K distance?  Are you going to look into longer distances?  Or speed/variations on 5K distances?  I'm increasing my distance, and I'm hoping to do a half marathon next year.

• bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    263. Oct 30, 2008 3:21 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I hate to admit it, but W6D3 was a failure. I decided to run outside today and up to this point all my runs have been on the treadmill. I started running and it felt pretty good but the temp was about 52F and at about 5 minutes in my lungs were hurting and my ear was hurting (i guess from the cold air). I also think my pace was probably much faster than I normally do on the treadmill and I failed miserably. I may have fallen off this horse today, but I WILL get back on.

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
    Aug 12, 2008
    264. Oct 31, 2008 9:36 AM (in response to Chris73568)

I was supposed to do another 3 miles this morning, but unfortunately I'm on the couch again for a while.  I had an accident with a horse yesterday that banged me up pretty darned good.  The pain in my hip got so intense that I finally went to the ER, and i'm one of those that won't go unless I'm dying (other than regular check ups).  X-rays showed that I didn't break my hip (thank God), but I did a fabulous tear to my medial quad where it attaches to the pelvis.  So, I'm on the couch and some drugs.  I'm hoping to get back into action later next week, but I'm not gonna push it.  I can't even begin to tell you how bad this injury hurt so yeah, I won't be pushing it for a reinjury.  On a happy note, today I feel MUCH better and can actually walk.  Ok, I hobble a little, but yesterday I couldn't bear weight on the leg nor move it in certain directions.  So being able to walk is a huge improvement!

Bowhunter, try not to get to down about your W6D3.  I've been worried about how I will handle the transition from outdoor running to indoor treadmill when it gets too dark for a similar reason:  I like a certain temp to run in and a big change might shock me.  While the temp you ran in is Heaven to me, running inside on a treadmill at 70 might give me a heat stroke!  And don't forget that 6 weeks ago, running for 25 minutes straight was impossible...the other day you just had some setbacks that made it a little too much to accomplish in one whack. 

Sep 27, 2008
    265. Oct 31, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to bowhuntr09)

Hey Bow-

I thought I wrote this yesterday- I guess it didn't post.  YOU CAN DO IT!  I think that all the changes you put your body through combined to make your run less likely to be successful.  The weather and change in running pavement (treadmill to outdoors) etc.  Too much difference in your body's usual successful modus operandi for this type of run- the longest one yet.  Better to try that type of change at the beginning of the week and adjust to it. 

Anyway, you can do it and as long as you know that you will be fine.  Please don't get down about it.

Peaches- Feel Better!  What's up with that horse? 

Dinine

Sep 14, 2008
    266. Oct 31, 2008 12:56 PM (in response to Chris73568)

My ankle didn't seem that bad, but I am just now getting to the point where I can walk normally with minimal pain and no limping. I did 25 minutes on the elliptical on Monday, it didn't hurt me at all, so that's good, but I've just been resting it these past few days.

I'm going to the chiropractor for my TMD tomorrow morning and I'm going to ask her if she thinks it'd be ok to run on it that afternoon. Then I'm going to attempt W6D3 with the caveat that if it starts bothering me too much I will do the some intervals (maybe W5D1) or walk instead. I really want to get back to running. I'm glad I gave myself 2 buffer weeks (now down to 1) before my 5k on November 29th (speaking of which, I have to mail my entry form today).

Sorry to here about your injury, Peaches.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    267. Oct 31, 2008 3:50 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Done. Week 6 day 2 is in the books. And I signed it off. It was cold outside here. No, no snow or anything like that, but still only a couple of degrees from freezing. And though I have decided to buy myself another shirt, I loved running in this weather. Halfway both of the 10 minute runs, I felt like they should have ended already. But they didn't, so I didn't. It was a great run and I did almost 2,5km/h more on this run than I did on the last. And the difference in speed became obvious in the distance as well. 3,75k today against 3k on Tuesday. I am feeling good again.

Sep 27, 2008

Hey Everyone!

Where are you?? 

Anyway, Week 8, Day 1 is DONE!  I did it well again- must be beginner of the week luck or something.  After finishing up last week horribly, I did a great 28 minute interval plus 2 and past my cool down did another 7 minute interval!  Total of 3.81 miles in about 47:00 minutes (including warmup and cooldown).  

How is everyone else doing?

Dinine

Sep 14, 2008
    269. Nov 6, 2008 4:28 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I'm Back!

I was so happy today that I could walk without any discomfort whatsoever.  Although my chiropractor said not to run yet, that was when it still hurt to walk.  I did the "hop test" I read online somewhere and I could hop on that foot without pain, so I went for it.  I've missed running so much and on top of that, my diet (what I eat, not a plan) had lapsed back into pre-running state.While I was running consistently, I was craving healthy food.

Anyway, I did W5D1 again, because it seemed like a good amount of running but with breaks.  I ran very slowly and as smoothly as possible.  I felt some discomfort, but it never really got to the point of pain.  The aerobic level felt fairly easy, so at least I haven't regressed too much the last 2 weeks.  Overall I am very happy with my run today!

The plan going forward is to do W6D2 again on Saturday. If that goes well, I will start week 7 on Monday. Then I'll be on track for W9D3 to be my 5k turkey trot on the 29th.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...