Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7303 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2009 11:54 AM by pantherfan018 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • xcisawesome Expert 50 posts since
    Aug 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Sep 17, 2008 5:29 PM (in response to Yodiwan)
    Re: How physical is it during a cross country race?

Well, one year, way back when..  I was running mt sac for the first time.  I was like this nice person starting out and it got me to the back of the pack!  While fending off elbows, and spikes, I ending up in the back, with all the dust/dirt to boot!  I eventually got to the point where I was more aggressive at the start but I didnt push or elbow anyone. (there was this one race I wanted to punch this dude but I didn't), anyway...

Another one of my favorite quotes >  The start of a cross-country event is like riding a horse in the middle of a buffalo stampede. It's a thrill if you keep up, but one slip and you're nothing but hoof prints ~ Ed Eyestone.

~ peace ~
  • xcrunr1647 Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    17. Oct 6, 2008 12:04 PM (in response to saraallent)

It depends on whether or not you're in view of the officials =P Seriously, I once had a kid elbowing me and shoving me non-stop for no reason...so I shoved himhardinto a big oak tree on the side of the course. He didn't shove me anymore =)

"Feet, don't fail me now!"
  • Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Oct 10, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to saraallent)

I ran for Div III Earlham College (Richmond, IN) from '87-90.

• CC4L Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008
    20. Nov 2, 2008 12:54 PM (in response to saraallent)

Well...it depends for example if your racing varsity or how many people, and how fast you are able to get out.  For example most of this year I've been running frosh soph (I'm a freshman) and I start out really fast so I'm always in or towards the front in these races so its not that violent, nevermind its only frosh soph, not varsity.  However, yesterday I ran varsity for the ventura county championships and it was the most hectic start I've ever been in.  I started 3rd to the back for my team, so when we started it was almost impossible to move around.  If you saw a gap, you had to take it, but usually the start is the most violent place, once everything thins out it gets more friendly, and people don't always mean to physically hurt you, it just happens.  Like I'm pretty sure I once ran this kid into a tree on accident by cutting him off, but I was really just taking an opening and the path was only small enough for one runner.

oh yah, and don't expect people to actually be disqualified, unless you're in track and/or tons of people see you fall, nobody will amost ever be disqualified, especially in varsity races

• CC4L Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008

well...idealy, yes i think they should be disqualified, but its hard because there has to be exact proof that they did (aka officials see it) and that would mean officials would have to be standing throughout the course.  also theres the whole issue over whether or not it was on purpose, and where to draw the line for how physical it is allowed to get.  in my opinion its not neccisarily cutting people off thats wrong (however i almost always appologize when i do) its the tripping and shoving.  it is sad tho, because cross country is such a great sport and it just has to be ruined by a few people that want to get an edge over others

• LgnPhotographie Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008
    24. Nov 10, 2008 8:59 AM (in response to saraallent)

As a seasoned XC racer I have been cut with the metal spikes on the running Flats (shoes) and bled quite nicely. I have been elbowed. cut off. tripped. Remember that most cross country courses are in the grass through the woods and around town. There isn't anyone watching out for you all the time. But I loved every second of it in school. It was the Highlight of my racing career. If I could go back and do it all again. I would.

www.Loganb44.Deviantart.com
  • Travis817 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    25. Nov 16, 2008 8:10 PM (in response to saraallent)

At the tiffin Carnival, the second biggest CC meet in the U.S., lots of stuff went on. Pushing and shoving happened at the start and in this little back area where there were no officals. One of the best races ever lol.

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
  • pantherfan018 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    26. Mar 2, 2009 11:54 AM (in response to saraallent)

It can be very physical. Im a high school cross country runner and one of our courses is around a lake. I got pushed into the lake last year. Ive seen people knock people over and such. The most i do elbow people if they are in my way.

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate."

- John Bingham, running writer and speaker

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...