Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4390 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2008 10:02 AM by culinarydoctor
culinarydoctor Expert 77 posts since
Oct 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2008 6:45 PM

ACTIVE politically

Since I have already posted about religion, figured might as well talk politics.  As the candidates run this race, I am curious to hear what competitive people feel about the debates.  Black man vs. white woman; did the Republican party set that up because they think niether of them can win?  Has this political contest been rigged?  Anyone think that the last two elections were illegitimate?  Is America's power really coal?  Does Ron Paul still have a chance?

• homeskoolyZ Rookie 62 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    1. Feb 1, 2008 5:07 AM (in response to culinarydoctor)
    Re: ACTIVE politically

Ron Paul is out, which is a **** shame. 

I like Obama's chances against McCain.  Either of them would be better than Bush.  In fact, anything would be an improvement.

• lancecmerun Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 19, 2007
    2. Feb 8, 2008 8:18 PM (in response to homeskoolyZ)

What I think is funny is, in all the past talk about what a genius Karl Rove is, no one has pointed out how the Iraq War is going to come back and bite the GOP in the butt in November.  Specifically the huge numbers of young people who are engaged now in politics.  Needless to say, seeing funerals everyday for people your own age who were killed in Iraq sort of puts Britney's latest troubles in perspective.  Nice going Karl.  And political leanings that are solidified in the formative years of early adulthood tend to stick.  Rove and President Idiot-Boy seem to have created an army of Democratic voters.  I say hooray.

I also think that the reluctance on the part of core conservatives to support McCain spells doom for him in November.  Not just because so many of them may stay home, but because of $$.  Those hard-core party loyalists are the ones most likely to open up their checkbook during a presidential campaign.  If they can't even bring themselves to vote for the guy they're sure not going to be sending him a big fat check.  The media touted how McCain raised $7 million in the month of January.  Obama and Clinton each raised $7 million between Tuesday night and Thursday night - 48 hours.  But I do hope we settle on a Democratic nominee soon so they can start spending that money on the general election rather than against each other. 

God I've been waiting so long for this worm to turn.  It's especially rich to see how impotent the talk radio bloviators have been in this election so far.  It was round the clock McCain bashing before Super Tuesday and McCain goes out and kills the competition.  Maybe no one is listening to those buffoons anymore and they just haven't realized it yet.

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Feb 19, 2008 6:20 AM (in response to culinarydoctor)

culinarydoctor wrote:

Anybody see Bill Moyer on Larry King say that if the New York Giants would win the superbowl then Obama would recieve the nomination?

I'd say the Giants winning the Super Bowl is more like Kucinich winning the nomination, but I don't think he even made the playoffs.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Feb 21, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to culinarydoctor)

Here is a great article on personality assesment of the three leading candidates (Slate, by Emily Yoffe).  Some great insights, the trick is trying to decide on what personality traits we are looking for. 

Personality traits of the current president; "They are decisive and little bothered by second thoughts and self-doubt.  Since they do not reflect very much on their errors or analyze their mistakes to any great extent, it is difficult for them to learn from their errors, and so they can become caught in a loop, repeating their msitakes." 

Here is the link. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2184696/nav/tap3/

My take is we will not get a great president because the system we use to choose the candidates is so warped that the "best" people won't even run.  What it is very good at deciding, is who is the best politician. 

• Eric Paquette Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2008
    7. Feb 29, 2008 12:20 PM (in response to culinarydoctor)

If you are active politically and enjoying running, check our www.running4obama.com.

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Mar 3, 2008 7:20 PM (in response to Eric Paquette)

It seems that it is thiought that it is unusual for young people to be liberal. This has been a fact for as long as any of us have been here. The interesting fact about this year's election is we will have a president coming from the Senate. This hasn't happened since Ford, and he wasn't elected. I believe the last before that was Kennedy.  It is also possible we get either a black or a woman. I think McCann beat either of them, but it will depend on his running mate. He has to select someone to bring out the more conservative of the party. I don't like either of the three but will cetainly vote for McCann as the lesser of the three evils. I live in Md and if either Obama or Hilary get elected we will get more of what our Governor has done just at the national level. 

Michael S. Taylor

Sep 19, 2007
    9. Mar 5, 2008 7:04 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

McCain is the lesser of three evils?  (And it's McCain, not McCann).  Are you kidding me?  He said he'd be fine with the Iraq War lasting 100 years.  We're entering a recession and he said he didn't know much about economics but he "has Greenspan's book".  Are you serious?  McCain would represent a third Bush term.  No thanks!

May 25, 2007
    10. Mar 6, 2008 4:12 AM (in response to lancecmerun)

Yes, McCain is the lesser of the three evils. Thank-you for correcting my spelling. I hate when I do that.  If either Hillary or Obama get elected prepare to pay a ton more in taxes and I mean a ton. All the money everyone complains we are spending in Iraq will do diverted to more govt programs. I agree we are going in debt to fight the war but the other two want to continue spending that same amount just on different projects. If you are going to retreat from Iraq, then discontinue the money don't redirect it.

Michael S. Taylor

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Mar 6, 2008 4:28 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

"It seems that it is thiought that it is unusual for young people to be liberal. This has been a fact for as long as any of us have been here. " WHAT? 

Gerald Ford was House Minority Leader before being appointed to the Vice Presidency by Richard Nixon.  John Kennedy was the last person elected from the Senate.  Which is better, Senate experience, or being a state Governor or mayor of a city?  At least being in the Senate exposes a candidate to foreign policy experience. 

Your other comment about if a Democrat getting elected and the budget.  What party does the current President belong to?  How much is being spent on the Iraq war?  How much is the current deficit?  Which party allowed all that to happen?  Who was the last President to at least come close to balancing a budget?  Which party did he belong to? 

May 25, 2007
    12. Mar 6, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to omabikeryder)

I had forgotten Ford was in the House, I was thinking he was in the Senate.  I'm not saying we aren't spending a lot of money in Iraq. I will even give you that we are spending money we don't have. Clinton technically balanced the budget one or two years but did nothing to lessen the national debt. However, I'm a firm believer that the President does nothing with the budget. They suggest and request, but they are ultimately in the hands of the Congress. This is why when Bush 1 said no new taxes and then relented was because Congress said he would agree to certain increases or they wouldn't even talk to him about the budget. Then beat him over the head with the fact he raised taxes.

My point about Clinton and Obama was they both have said they would use the money being spent in Iraq for domestic programs. That is simply not the thing to do. If we were to leave Iraq then that money needs to not be spent at all. 

Michael S. Taylor

Sep 19, 2007
    13. Mar 6, 2008 6:39 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

Since by your own admission the president has nothing to do with the budget balancing, I'm not sure how it entered into a discussion about the presidential race.  And Obama and Clinton have both stated that the only taxes they intend to "raise" (if you call allowing a temporary tax cut to expire as intended) are for those people earning more than $250,000 a year.  Is that you Mr. Taylor?  It certainly isn't me.  In fact, Obama has announced a tax cut for middle class Americans. 

I can't believe people would even be considering voting for another Republican considering the mess our nation finds itself in.  Record gas prices, an impending recession, an unnecessary war without end (that McCain wholeheartedly embraces) numerous GOP office-holders sent to prison, the Katrina debacle (Heckuva job Brownie), the dismantling of environmental laws, the clear and willful violation of the 4th amendment, the Attorney General's office being turned into a branch of the Republican National Committee, an administration that embraces torture (and which McCain recently voted in favor of), an administration that had to be told by the Supreme Court that you can't arrest and detain people indefinitely without a fair trial, a president who led us to war over weapons of mass destruction yet actually made jokes about not finding any at the Radio and Television Correspondents dinner in March 2004, a sitting vice-president who told a U.S. Senator on the floor of the Senate to "go f*%k yourself", etc., etc., etc.

McCain is like Bob Dole.  A tired old senator who has been around forever, that no one is really excited about, but everyone figures it's kinda the old guy's turn.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...