Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11519 Views 219 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2007 7:28 PM by bigapplepie 1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
kommish77 Rookie 139 posts since
May 23, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2007 8:44 AM

Church question

Do you go to church now?

Did you used to go to church and now don't?

Have you never been to church (not including weddings, funerals, etc)?

• intensebeet Rookie 114 posts since
    Oct 28, 2007
    1. Dec 1, 2007 10:09 AM (in response to kommish77)
    Re: Church question

In order:
    No.
    No.
    No.

My mom's family was raised very Catholic and she had some issues with that and didn't want to subject her kids to it. I was christened in the church as a baby though my younger brother and sister weren't which later prompted my grandmother to tell my mom that we were all going to hell for not being a part of the church. My neighbors (and best friend in elementary school) were very churchy and would take me with them to Sunday school and Awana's; I got uncomfortable I got sent into a room with a preacher and was asked about welcoming Jesus into my heart or somesuch. In highschool another friend's family went through a brief religious phase and started taking me to church on Sunday's with them until I decided that it was too early in the morning on a weekend to get up.

I guess people just want to save me.

Fwiw, I consider myself a very spiritual person, though not affiliated with any particular religion, and really enjoy learning about all religions, even minored in Religious studies in college.

• fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002
    2. Dec 1, 2007 10:12 AM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by kommish77:

Do you go to church now?

Define "church"

I have faced a wall and meditated for 6 hours. In Zen that would be the
    equivalent of a "church."

• makeda023 Rookie 629 posts since
    Aug 16, 1999
    4. Dec 20, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to kommish77)

no
    yes - I grew up AME. We went to church most Sundays and did family devotion at home. I sang in the choir. My mother has been a minister for 15-20 years. Sometimes charismatic (how she was raised) now back to AME (joined when she married).

Your evangelism is useless against me.  Bwahahaha!

[http://This message has been edited by makeda (edited Dec-01-2007).|http://This message has been edited by makeda (edited Dec-01-2007).]

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    5. Dec 1, 2007 10:32 AM (in response to kommish77)

no
    no
    yes, i have been

(and yes, I'm going to hell)

• Kawasa Expert 381 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    7. Dec 1, 2007 10:38 AM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

no
    no
    yes, i have been

(and yes, I'm going to hell)

haha

I would answer the same.

• devholan Rookie 131 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 1, 2007 10:43 AM (in response to kommish77)

no
    no
    yes

If you opened this poll up to other religions and cultures, that would change my answers.

• cb025 Rookie 140 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    9. Dec 1, 2007 11:07 AM (in response to kommish77)

Growing up I went to church every Sunday with my family and sometimes during the week with school.  We didn't miss unless we were sick, and even then we had to be pretty sick. 

I went to a Catholic college, didn't go to church much there, but continued to go whenever I was home until my mom died. I was 37. Since then the only times I have been to church has been weddings, funerals and baptisms.

We were just talking last night about trying the Unitarian Church.  I feel no need to go, but our daughter was aksing about going to church.  We told her we would take her if she wanted.  Come Sunday morning, I'm guessing she'll choose to sleep in.

• NYCross Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 1, 2007 11:30 AM (in response to kommish77)

no
    yes
    no

My parents always made me go to church as a child. I know if I told them I wanted nothing more to do with any church, they would still love me, but I also know that it would be a constant source of sadness and inner turmoil for them.

So I try and I lie. I occasionally try to find a church that could become a social place for me- if I tell my parents once every couple months that I was visiting a church, and insinuate that I've been visiting others, it makes them happy. I also tell them that the last church I was at hurt me so badly (this is true) that I am not ready to start the church hunting process again. What I don't tell them is that after three bad experiences at three different churches, where I've met the most backstabbing, vapid and shallow people I've ever known, I don't intend to make a serious effort at finding another.

I've never had social problems with people I've worked with, never left under duress or been fired. I've always gotten along and become friends with the majority of teammates or classmates. So not making friends or not fitting into a group haven't been patterns in my life... except with the church.

• WickedWitch Rookie 23 posts since
    Oct 20, 2005
    11. Dec 20, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Do you go to church now?

no (unless an occasional quaker meeting counts)

yes (i used to go to church services every sunday, most saturdays, and on holy days of obligation, in addition to teaching "sunday" school).

yes.

[http://This message has been edited by WickedWitch (edited Dec-01-2007).|http://This message has been edited by WickedWitch (edited Dec-01-2007).]

• Kawasa Expert 381 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    12. Dec 1, 2007 12:03 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by NYCross:

no
    yes
    no

You can't answer yes to the second question and no to the third. That's like saying "I used to go to church but I've never been to church."

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 1, 2007 12:39 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

I think that "asking Jesus into your heart" has led to many people thinking they are "saved" when they actually aren't

If one of these people were to sincerely believe this, and were to die, what would happen to them?

• the kenyan Legend 1,152 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    14. Dec 1, 2007 12:58 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by Iontach:

If one of these people were to sincerely believe this, and were to die, what would happen to them?

thats why there's only like 100 people in heaven.

(and the bar scene is a HELL of a lot better down below! har har har)

1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...