Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8997 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2008 1:26 PM by Dre Day
neonshaw Expert 53 posts since
Jun 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2008 7:25 AM

what to wear - cold weather races

I am curious what everyone wears for a cold weather race.  I prefer to race in shorts and t shirt but I dont want to freeze to death waiting for the race to begin.   With all the problems associated with heat and humidity, I actually prefer that to the cold to some extent..  

• Luker23 Expert 55 posts since
    Oct 8, 2008
    1. Nov 19, 2008 7:49 AM (in response to neonshaw)
    Re: what to wear - cold weather races

I've gone through this dilemma many times. I just ran a half in Massachusetts just a few weeks ago, and even then, it was very cold and windy. I found that when I get "in the zone" and running, I can go in a sleeveless shirt and shorts.  However, that isn't everybody. I think the safest thing to wear would be a long-sleeve t-shirt, shorts, and compression shorts. Maybe that's not the safest, but most neutral uniform.  Just keep trying new things at the same temp you're going to be running the race in, like long spandex, running pants, jackets, or even shorts and a t-shirt, etc. and find what's best for you as well as what's most comfortable for your body.

Marist College Cross Country- Run. Rehydrate. Run some more!

Bel Monte 50K-6:11:53

Lake Placid Marathon- 3:23:14

UAlbany Invitational (8K)-30:38

Philadelphia Marathon: 3:08:18

• mtreed Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    2. Nov 19, 2008 7:57 AM (in response to neonshaw)

Many people also purchase disposable sweat suits and then just drop them at the start a few minutes prior.  These can usually be found at the Health and Fitness expos prior to large events.  Others will buy cheap sweat pants at dollor store etc.. and drop those.  At the Marine Corps Marathon these are all gathered up then and dontated to homeless shelters.   I have used a trash bag myself.   The big black yard waste type.   Just poke a hole in the bottom of the bag and pull it over your head like a poncho.   Dont make arm holes.  Just keep em inside.  Its surprising how warm that will keep waiting for the start of the race.  The just whip it off throw to the side right before the start.

• SlowPokeChu Pro 64 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    3. Nov 19, 2008 9:23 AM (in response to neonshaw)

Try a plastic Garbage Bag with 3 holes cut into it for your head and arms. It's cheap, disposable, and it does the job EXTREMELY well.

• RL Loving Pro 138 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    4. Nov 19, 2008 9:34 AM (in response to neonshaw)

Yes, the disposable clothes work great for "prior to" the race ... when you are waiting.

As to the race itself, I buy cotton gloves at Lowes ... $1 a pair. I also cut the toe end out of cheap tube socks and wear them on my arms  (arm warmers). Just keeping your arms and hands warms makes a huge difference. If it warms, I just pull off either the socks or the gloves and discard them.

• karmasnow Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008
    5. Nov 19, 2008 12:08 PM (in response to RL Loving)

y'all are nuts! i'm freezing constantly anyway, so i wind up wearing those cheap cotton gloves ALL DAY - at work, at home, to bed..

as far as cold weather races or just running in cold weather.. i recently ran a 5.5 mile race and it was cold. not freezing - i was freezing, but the weather wasn't actually at 32 degrees - and there were crazy people out there in sports bras and shorts! most people wore shorts and t-shirts, but me? when it's cold, i run in: ear muffs, running gloves, running tights, knee high leg warmers, shorts over the tights, running pants over those if it's really cold, a long sleeved running shirt, a tank top under that if it's super cold, and a thick running jacket i got at victoria's secret. and i'm still freezing! i don't warm up till almost mile 2, and then god forbid i stop running for even a second; i immediately freeze. i add a scarf if it's windy, cause my nose feels like it's going to fall off.

but.. as cold as i am, i would MUCH prefer to run in the cold weather than in the heat. i hate sweating to death way more than i dislike being uncomfortably cold.

insanity without ambition is like a machine gun without bullets.
  • crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Nov 19, 2008 9:15 PM (in response to neonshaw)

Depends on how cold is "cold". In the LA suburbs, a "cold" race start means about 45 deg. For that, I'll wear long leggings, and a short sleeve T-shirt under a long sleeve T-shirt. If the temperature goes up just before race start, I can pull off the outer shirt and wrap it around my waist. At 45 deg I may consider but usually won't bother with a hat or gloves. Below 45 deg, others will know a lot more than me.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Nov 20, 2008 6:52 AM (in response to crl8686)

That just shows how different people are.  I have lined up for the Marine Corps Marathon at 45 degrees several times in shorts and singlet.  I'll wear something throw-away to keep warm before the start.  Of course at the finish it will be 60 - 65.  I always wear a hat and at that temp I'll have a pair of light gloves for the first few miles.  For a shorter race I might wear more, maybe a long-sleeve shirt and compression shorts under my running shorts.  As it gets colder I'll go to full length tights and a short-sleeve shirt over the long-sleeve one, or a windbreaker jacket if it's windy.

Len

Len

• croatan Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 15, 2008
    8. Nov 20, 2008 7:17 AM (in response to neonshaw)

I'm in the deep south so my cold isn't the same as up north cold but even so I have been getting miserable as the mornings got colder and colder. It was affecting my enthusiasm for running outside. So I got over my cheapness and bought a longsleeve Mizuno technical shirt I wore it for the first time this morning and I can't believe what a difference it made. I plan on wearing it for my Thanksgiving day 8K.

Best 5K time  24:06

Autumnfest 8K 47:32

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    9. Nov 20, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to crl8686)

45 degrees I wouldn't even bother changing much from my summer gear,  maybe go long sleeves and those longer shorts that go just past the knee.  Does anyone use Under Armour? I was wondering if I should wear a tank top under it or over it or will laying matter at all?  

• karmasnow Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008
    10. Nov 21, 2008 11:49 AM (in response to Urbster)

i bought a couple under armour long sleeve shirts to combat the freezytimes.  i don't like them as much as i like the MUCH cheaper technical tanks i got for summer running.. the biggest problem i've found with them is that they started being stinky almost immediately. the tanks i spent the entire running and sweating to death in? they don't smell. under armour shirts? doesn't matter how much or with what i wash them, there's a lingering odor.  i also found that they run a little smaller than other brands.  so bottom line for me is that the price is way too high for the quality of the merchandise.

insanity without ambition is like a machine gun without bullets.
  • OS2-USNR Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    11. Nov 30, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to neonshaw)

I am a huge wimp about cold, so I'm usually pretty impressed with myself when I get a run in under 50 degrees!  My Thanksgiving Day 5K was just over 32 at race time and I thought I was going to FREEZE waiting for it to start!

That said...I have a pair of Asics Thermopolis running tights that I absolutely could not live without.  They seem to keep me comfortable no matter how cold it is, and if it turns out a little too warm for them they never get clammy.  They are probably the biggest reason I've gotten off the treadmill and on the road this fall.

As for a top, I found a mockneck compression top I that's worked really well just worn over a sports bra.  There is a TON of cool weather clothing out there to choose from, and I've found it to be worth the $$ to spend a little more and get the more technical gear rather than just a cotton blend that retains moisture.  

I found a really lightweight skullcap by Nike that is perfect, not too heavy but still cuts the cold and doesnt overheat you once you get moving.  I also have a set of the matching lightweight gloves by Nike and my hands stay plenty warm.  

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    12. Nov 30, 2008 1:35 PM (in response to OS2-USNR)

I haven't noticed the stink factor of Under Amour yet but thanks for the tip.  

I ran my first Turkey Trot, it was 35 degrees and thank goodness someone was selling gloves. Completely forgot about the hands.   I bought a pair with reflectors for 20 bucks.  Otherwise I wore a cotton tank under cold -gear UA , the race t-shirt over that and some cheap clingy work out pants.  I was freezing at the starting line but warmed up and was fine once we got moving and even a good long time after the race too.  Put on my running jacket waiting for the race waiting for results.   It's probably a good idea to get that sweaty wet shirt off and change after the race.   Next time I'm bringing another shirt to wear.  I like to hang out and watch the awards and by the time they start I'm getting a chill again. 

• Dre Day Pro 139 posts since
    May 31, 2008
    13. Dec 3, 2008 1:26 PM (in response to neonshaw)

i have fallen in love with nike dri fit cold weather gear. i've been wearing that for the past 2-3 weeks and it's been wonderous. i picked it up from marshalls and it was marked down significantly (pants 14.99, regular price around 40 i believe....shirt 24.99, regular price around 50). i told me girlfriend  all i want for christmas is more of that!! it was kept me warm and snug on my cold weather runs. i did a turkey trot two saturdays ago and the temps were in the 20s with the wind blowing. now mind you, i did have some other layers on, but if it weren't for the snuggness of the nike gear, the wind would have gone all through my body. for weather that is not so brutal, i have just been wearing that with shorts and t shirt over it.

"Sweat is the cologne of success!" Love this friggin' quote!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...