Skip navigation

2389 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 1:45 PM by Stevemustangred
kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
Oct 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2008 4:56 AM

decisions, decisions????

Ok- I did not run the mcm this year- I have however completed 5 halves since May- and last night a toe nail fell off! Im not sure why it happened this long after my last race- PDR in Sept- but my problem is- the area is a bit raw and I am supposed to run Philly in 2 days. I guess I can wrap it or something. The nurse in me is saying I will be very unhappy sunday night if I run with a naked toenail bed. Any thoughts?

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM (in response to kmagaleski)
    Re: decisions, decisions????

Yep, I'd just wrap it with a a band aid.and protect that sensitive nail bed.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 21, 2008 6:18 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

I would just put a bandaid on it too.  Mine are usually half grown in before it falls off.

Len

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    3. Nov 21, 2008 6:25 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I don't know, but I love grossing out/scaring Brenda with them when they're almost falling off but not really.  I'll show B my foot and then lift the nail up and down threatening to yank it off....LOL

Wrap it good with a bandaid.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    4. Nov 21, 2008 6:55 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

marathoner06 wrote:

Ok- I did not run the mcm this year- I have however completed 5 halves since May- and last night a toe nail fell off! Im not sure why it happened this long after my last race- PDR in Sept- but my problem is- the area is a bit raw and I am supposed to run Philly in 2 days. I guess I can wrap it or something. The nurse in me is saying I will be very unhappy sunday night if I run with a naked toenail bed. Any thoughts?

Let's put this in perspective:   On Sunday night after a marathon, if your only ache is ONE toenail bed you are going to be in GREAT shape. But a band-aid on it if you're concerned.

Have a great race!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    5. Nov 21, 2008 7:06 AM (in response to Andrew...)

Will a bandaid stay on that whole time? Maybe my feet are different, but there is no way I could make a band-aid stick and last through any sort of long run. Mole skin? Medical tape?

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Nov 21, 2008 8:03 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

A regular plastic bandaid, applied tightly, will usually stay on for me.  Other types, like the fabric, don't stick nearly as well.  The problem with something like moleskin is taking it off later.  It might take new/sensitive skin right with it.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Nov 21, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

What about a bandaid and then wrap it with moleskin?

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 21, 2008 12:56 PM (in response to dutch omi)

I think we  need a graphic close-up photo of your toe so that we can give you the best advice.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    9. Nov 21, 2008 1:33 PM (in response to kmagaleski)

toenails are for sissies.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    10. Nov 21, 2008 5:04 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

SOme neosporin or even some sorta anti-friction ointment of some sort witha band-aid over that.  I would then use athletic tape torn into manageable strips to cover the entire toe from the base to the tip.  I do this when I have a deep blister but still need to get in a run.  I fortunately have never lost a toenail.

Best of luck,

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• Kbear74 Legend 416 posts since
    Dec 4, 2007
    11. Nov 22, 2008 12:16 PM (in response to kmagaleski)

I vote moleskin...don't they also have to those toe sleeve things?  If they were thin enough and wouldn't bother you, that might protect it.  And I would carry extra bandaids to be safe.

Proud mom and Athena runner. Kara (and Jman)
  • Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    12. Nov 24, 2008 10:31 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

It's a bit after the fact for you.  But I have never had any trouble running without toenails.  Once they fall off I don't have any pain and they usually grow back better than before.  I have more pain with them than without.

How did it work for you? 

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    14. Nov 24, 2008 1:45 PM (in response to kmagaleski)

marathoner06 wrote:

would like to run rehobath next year- my mom lives right there- I will wait until they can have an actual courswe map- congrats to you!

=====================

Thanks!

There were no problems with the Rehoboth course.  It was mostly scenic, basically flat with just a few bumps.  About 50% on trails or in a park.  The online course map looked strange, but it had a lot of detail with landmarks and such so that they can get USATF (Boston) certification.  It was nowhere near as hilly as Philly.  It was too cold to stay outside after the race.  They had a heated tent set up in the running store parking lot for the post race feast and awards.  They had hamburgers, pulled pork, veggie burgers, salad, mac & cheese (just what I needed), desert and 6 varieties of Dogfish Head beer.  The aid stations were well supported.  There was black ice in places but not nearly as badly as Philly.  I highly recommend Rehoboth especially if you can visit family.

The worst part was that I had already paid for my hotel in Philly so we drove down to Rehoboth at 3AM.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...