Skip navigation

3751 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2008 9:43 AM by FormerBAM 1 2 Previous Next
cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2008 6:48 AM

Am I Normal?

I know most of you will say no, I'm not normal even if I wasn't a runner, I know I'm special.  However, this morning I was wondering if I really am just a normal person, or if I, along with the rest of us are just a little off in some shape or form for doing what we do.  I know I'm not Jimmy, Craig, Jerry, or any of those other great folks with tons more mileage than me, but I still consider myself a runner.  This morning I realized I was up way before the crack of dawn to run, while most people were still in their cozy beds trying to get in a couple of more hourse of sleep before having to get up and go to work.  It was cold(for me), and yet I was still on my way to get in my 4 miles for the day.  I've been chafed in areas no person should ever chafe.  I've lost toenails, have had sored legs and knees, and a few blisters.  I've had rocks encrusted in the palms of my hands from preventing a bad spill.  When most people my age are recovering from a Friday/Saturday night party, I'm up and running.  On my Sunday long runs, in the time some other folks are watching a Sunday morning movie and having bkfast, I'm running.  I have paid for a chance to run for over 4 hrs and all I get is a finishers medal.  Is this normal, or are we just a little off?

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Nov 26, 2008 6:59 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)
    Re: Am I Normal?

Statistically abnormal neighbor, completely normal runner!  Welcome!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    2. Nov 26, 2008 7:12 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Jesus, I often wonder about that. Then I wonder if I want to be "normal." Would more sleep be nice? Yes. Would an extra 10 hours a week that I'm not working out be nice? Yes. Would it be nice to save some cash on running shoes so I can buy cute shoes? Yes. But, on the flip side: Do I want to be healthy? Yes. Does running help me find peace and balance in my crazy life? Yes. Do I want to lead by example and show my friends, family, the girls I coach and one day my kids, that running is an incredible sport that is just as good for your mind as it is for your body? Yes. Do I want to be a "normal" American who is likely to be sedentary and obese and on meds to control high blood pressure and other illnesses that are generally preventable with good nutrition and exercise? No. So I run so that I'm anything but normal.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    3. Nov 26, 2008 7:52 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I made the list of people that make you feel closer to normal, so I'm out... 

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    4. Nov 26, 2008 8:10 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I think it is normal to be completely different. No one is the same, so everyone is normal, because no one is. LOL

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • KenNN2 Pro 76 posts since
    Oct 18, 2008
    5. Nov 26, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Myblueeyedgurl wrote:

I think it is normal to be completely different. No one is the same, so everyone is normal, because no one is. LOL

It's interesting that you say that. Individuals by definitions are different from each other. I encourage everyone to recognise the contents of their individuality and social conformity. Sometimes it's good to be different. Other times it's not good. You ultimately have to decide what's good and what's bad.

Statistically, normality is defined as something in the middle of the population. Some people go further and say that normality and conformity to the norm is a good thing.

I reject this conclusion on the basis that the norm is simply just the norm. The norm doesn't mean good or bad. It's just the norm.

You have to look at the underlying behaviour that is the norm. Is the thing you're doing actually good or bad? Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

For example, slavery was the norm, but it wasn't necessarily the best idea we came up with.  Similarly, social activism was not the norm, but the people who spoke out against racism and protested are given high praise. Two sides of the same coin.

You can find other examples as well, wherein going with the norm is good (like driving) and going against the norm is bad (going the wrong way down a one-way street).

I strongly urge and encourage everyone to do what you believe to be right, regardless of the norm.  It is in my personal and professional experience that the majority of people do not know right from wrong, or facts from fiction.

I live my life a certain way because of certain things I believe in. I don't share a lot of the mainstream values cherished by my peers. I know what I am doing is right even if no one recognises so, and that I am not hurting anyone, and may be even helping people when they don't even know it.

I found that a lot of critics actually envy the object of their criticism.  They wish they had the audacity to pull something like that off.  An easy way to dismiss your own inadequacy is to convince everyone else that doing X (running, exercising, going to school, volunteering, etc.) is not worth your time.

I would like to commend all of your for sticking with what you like to do. I think passion sets us apart from the herd.  Carry on

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Nov 26, 2008 8:54 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Who wants to be normal?  Yer special!!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    7. Nov 26, 2008 9:02 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Jesus,  At one point in your life you decided to join the Marine Corps.  Like the rest of us who have ever worn the uniform, you will never be normal again.  Your experience reminded me of one while I was the operations officer for Officer Candidates School. Seems like every fall, the first Saturday PT session would be rainy.  So there we are, all the candiadtes, company staff,  OCS CO, OCS XO and support staff out in the rain ans mud, running and doing our PT at 0630 in the morning.  And after it was all over, and I amstanding there soaked to the bone, I just started to grin and laugh.  I mean, who else on a Base full of Marines was up in this weather doing PT outside?  No one.  And you know what, it felt good, real good, because I was doing real Marine Corps training.  So I ain't normal either!

Chris

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Nov 26, 2008 9:08 AM (in response to CWCastelli)

Jesus, of course you're not normal, and enjoy it.  It gives you all kinds of opportunities to do things "normal" people don't do.  And of course, if you were normal, you would not be on this board, and we would miss you. 

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    9. Nov 26, 2008 11:44 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

cplmtz0121 wrote:

I know most of you will say no, I'm not normal even if I wasn't a runner, I know I'm special. However, this morning I was wondering if I really am just a normal person, or if I, along with the rest of us are just a little off in some shape or form for doing what we do.

Jesus:

If it makes you feel any better, I asked the group I run with if you were normal, and they said, "Maybe ... sort of ... kinda."

Hope that makes you feel

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    10. Nov 26, 2008 12:32 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

The question of normalcy varies by person, culture, employment, etc.  The most critical thing to note is that you, are unique.  Just like everyone else.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    11. Nov 26, 2008 1:07 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

Jesus yes you ar normal.  You are as normal as any of the rest of us.  I am normally abnormal myself.

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Nov 26, 2008 1:33 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

As a psychologist (and runner) I would argue that one cannot judge whether something is "abnormal" unless we have a good understanding of "normal".  If you look at the general population and runners as a sample of that population and you statistically compare the two groups based on some outcome such as monthly mileage, hours spent thinking and planning training schedules, or money spent on running shoes/gear...my educated guess is that we are, indeed, abnormal. 

On another note...I was talking with a colleague of mine on Friday and we discovered that we both had an insane love for running. He is a kick @ss runner, loves marathons, and is fast.  As we talked, I saw the flicker of recognition in his eye when I mentioned a trip my family is taking in the spring so that I can run a race.  He said "Ah, you really are a runner if you are planning family vacations around races".  Meanwhile, the third guy who was standing next to us, just shook his head.  I bet he thought we were "abnormal"!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    13. Nov 26, 2008 3:21 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

I agree with Chris, being a Marine makes you abnormal. Strike 1. Being a runner is not abnormal in and of itself. Spending time planning schedules and workouts, worrying about shoes, clothes, training technique, hydration and nutrition puts you over the edge to abnormal. Strike two. Have you started planning vacations around races? (Disney World here I come.) Strike 3. Welcome to abnormalville.

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Nov 26, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to KenNN2)
    KenNN2 wrote:

For example, slavery was the norm, but it wasn't necessarily the best idea we came up with.  Similarly, social activism was not the norm, but the people who spoke out against racism and protested are given high praise. Two sides of the same coin.

>

Hey guys--can we keep him?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...