Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14802 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Nov 26, 2008 7:53 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

Jim - hope you can get your marathon in.  Am exited to see what you will run.

6 ez 3 days in a row now.  Boring.   But tomorrow get to stretch it out some in a 4 mile race.  Temp suppose to be in low 60's and no wind.

Have a great holiday to the Merkuns and a great day to the rest of you.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    106. Nov 26, 2008 5:17 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Jim, good luck getting up to speed to run the marathon.

And good luck ks in tomorrow's 4 miler.

Tuesday's weather here was the same as Tigger's, nothing but rain.  I spent 30 minutes on the Nordic Track and that was it.  It's actually a good workout, you can set the resistance for both your arms and legs to be as difficult as you like.

Wednesday, 3 miles easy.

I'm supposed to run a 5K turkey trot tomorrow morning.  Like Spareribs says, you can't expect much on 20 miles a week, so I'll run it for fun and hope to do better next year.

Spareribs, there's not much doubt you'll hit your goal next year, with an attitude like yours, how can you miss...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    108. Nov 27, 2008 10:06 AM (in response to fred-urie)

8 mile Dallas Turkey Trot in 1:16:35, or 9:35's.  My previous longest run has been 5 miles so I am very happy with this.  What I am even happier about is that my wife beat me by a full minute!  She ran steady and strong, left me in the dust at 6!   Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    109. Nov 27, 2008 11:39 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow old timers and to our young Miss Euphie.

Great to hear about your 8-miler, Ribs, and a big congrats to Mrs. Ribs. Outstanding!

I had a good workout this morning. Barring any further setbacks plans are back on for CIM on Dec 7. Thanks all for the encouragement.

Dec 10, 2007
    110. Nov 27, 2008 3:52 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Finished 90th out of 479 competitors in today's turkey trot, better than I ususally do.   One of those races where a lot of casual and non-runners show up to race, but I ran better than I thought I would, so I'm happy.

Good news Spareribs, congrats. to both you and your wife.

I hope your luck holds up Jim, a marathon would be a great way to cap off the really good year you've had.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    111. Nov 28, 2008 3:59 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, were you warm enough to hang around and watch the more than 300 other people finish? Congratulations on your race and for being happy.

I could not run our local trot yesterday, but was asked to lead the 5k contingent on my bicycle. It was definitely a PR for me and I could have easily beaten the guy who came in at about 16:?? if they had let me through the chute. He was drafting the whole race.

Ribs, it's great to read about the "good times" you are having with your wife.

I hope everyone is recovering from yesterday's feasts and have started their engines for a day of marathon shopping.

Aug 14, 2007
    112. Nov 28, 2008 7:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.   Yesterday's 4 mile turkey chase was a difficult race for me.  Was hoping for top 10 but readjusted to top 20 when I saw all the college, high school, and others.  Winning time was 21:08.   Really thought they should have been in the 20's but course was new and a bit twisty and I think a bit long.  Legs wobbly first 200 yds for some reason and it felt really odd.   Anyways; 16th oa, 2nd master oa., 24:36.   First master got me by less than 2 secs and I was closing.   Ran this race last year 10 secs per mile faster.  Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

10 mile recovery run in the hills this morning.  65 degrees and hooomid.  cold front suppose to come in Sat. night and drop temps to the 30's.  We'll see 'bout that.

Hope you all had a good thanksgiving or a day or running.

Dec 10, 2007
    113. Nov 28, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Yeah Euph, temps were in the low 40's by race end, not bad for cheering in the rest of the field.    I even got my picture in the paper this morning as part of yesterday's race coverage.  I suppose I might have been in the background of the REAL subjects the photographer was after, the runners dressed as Pilgrims, but I'm milking my 15 minutes of fame for all it's worth...

And being the pacer in your local trot must have been fun, you were out joining in the fun...

ks, at least you're the windshield some of the time.  Your slow run is pretty dern fast by my standards, congrats...

And my heel didn't like the hill in yesterday's race, it was long and steep.  So later today I'm going to walk 2 miles, then run 4 easy.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    114. Nov 28, 2008 8:58 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Gee whiz, Jim, are you or are not going to run this marathon?

The world awaits......ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm awake! Honestly I was.  

Dec 14, 2007
    115. Nov 28, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to fred-urie)

The Raider is back!  Now for some spirit and energy on this site!

Rich, I am glad to hear you felt good about this race.  Maybe you're on the upswing now.

Yesterday's effort took a lot out of me, so in keeping with the spirit of recovery simply being recovery, I went to the Y this morning and jogged a slow mile, then did a full core and stretch routine.  I feel fine now and ready to run tomorrow.

Ks, we're getting showers all day here.

Euphie, way to go winning that 5K, even if you had a little help from the bike!  Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    116. Nov 29, 2008 12:16 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Good racing Rich and KS.

KS those wobbly legs the first 200 yards make me wonder if you warmed up enough. I'm a big fan of thorough warmups, especially for shorter races such as the 4-mile. I'm not sayting that you didn't, but I am amazed at how many runners I see standing around before a race. Some of them are good runners too, but I think they'd do even better if they warmed up more.

Hi Raider; what a surprise. How have you been? Are you still running? How about a report.

I hope to running the marathon on Dec 7 but who knows what could happen in another week. I had a good workout yesterday and this morning's run went well.

Dec 14, 2007
    117. Nov 29, 2008 8:29 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good luck Jim.

Within minutes of starting this morning's run I realized I needed a bit more recovery time, so today was 3 miles slow on the dirt.  Hoping to run 5 or so tomorrow.  Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    118. Nov 29, 2008 12:52 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Raider must have headed south to escape the cold by now, eh Raider?  Good to see a post from you even if you are a royal pain... lol

Saturday,

3 miles @ recovery, I'm hoping to do like Spareribs tomorrow and run something a little longer...

Aug 14, 2007
    119. Nov 29, 2008 3:31 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Jim - I only warmed up 1.25-1.5 miles.  Didn't feel right even then.  16.25 miles this morning ez.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...