Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

974 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2008 7:24 PM by running01 RSS
DLBarger Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2008 12:23 PM

When to buy new shoes?

I've always heard that you should buy new running shoes after 300 miles?  How can you look at the shoes to determine if they should be replaced sooner or later?

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    1. Nov 28, 2008 3:04 PM (in response to DLBarger)
    Re: When to buy new shoes?

Well here is how i determine it.  Recently i replaced my shoes all because of foot pain.  When i had that pain that i have NEVER had before i knew it was the shoes.

To avoid that issue with yourself, i look at the soles.  Check to see the wear and tear on them.  Do you notice the heels or the toes with coloring rubbed off?  How are the insoles?  Are they still "squishy" or do they feel really broke in?

If any of those things are apparent it's time for new shoes. 

When i switched my shoes i noticed a dramatic difference in my shoes.  I only had 150 miles on mine, yet it was very consistent wear so the insides broke down faster than the soles.

Hope this helps.

Christine

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Nov 28, 2008 6:03 PM (in response to DLBarger)

Often you cannot tell by looking at the shoes. The outsoles and uppers may appear just fine, but the midsole will lose much of its support and cushioning between about 300 and 500 miles (exact amount depending on the shoe, your running style, running conditions, etc.) This midsole damage is not always clearly visible, but you will likely notice the difference when running in new shoes vs. older ones of the same model. Keeping track of how many miles you have on the shoes is probably your most reliable option.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• F.O.O.C.H Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 6, 2008
    3. Nov 28, 2008 7:55 PM (in response to christine94)

What kind of shoe did you have?  150 miles sounds like either a poor structured shoe, or maybe just a bad fit for you personally. 

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    4. Nov 29, 2008 8:39 AM (in response to DLBarger)

I have always stuck with the rule of 500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

This is based upon my training plan of 20 miles a week

20 miles/week = 80 miles a month

480 miles in 6 months

I do have 2 pair of running shoes, 1 for training and 1 for races.  When my training pair wears out, I replace them with my race pair.

I then break in my new race pair for about a week doing my training runs.

This has worked for me, so far.  You have to figure out what works best for you and the type of shoe and running style you have. 

I hope this helps

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• running01 Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    6. Dec 21, 2008 7:24 PM (in response to DLBarger)

I usually go more by time.  If I've worn the same pair of running shoes for 6 months, it's time for a new pair.  I also use knee soreness to gauge it.  If my knees are sore after two consecutive runs, it's time to get a new pair. 

You can also look at the soles to see how worn down they are but some shoes will wear faster than others so mileage might not be the best measure of a shoe's lifespan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...