Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16568 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2009 10:23 AM by euphoric RSS 1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2008 10:08 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - December

Friday - 1 hour easy running @ 35F

Saturday - running 1 hr., basketball 2 hours

Sunday -  1 hour of running with 1 sub 6 min. mile @ 34F

Monday - running 1 hour (HR 84 to 97), basketball 2 hours

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Dec 1, 2008 11:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - December

Thanks for starting us again Fred.   46 degrees here this morning and suppose to be about 35 Fri and Sat. morning.  That's cold for S.TX.   5.75 miles this morning at 7:20 avg pace including slow warm up mile.

You are correct in assuming I didn't warm up enough.  Seems like it takes 3-4 miles to warm up properly now.   It's hard for me to get motivated to warm up that much.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Dec 2, 2008 6:16 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Fred, we owe you.  32 degrees here this morning.  I'll continue my cycle of pt, pool running, and swimming.  I optimistically purchased a winter cycling jacket.

Rich, all that xc skiing will keep you in good stead.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 2, 2008 7:07 AM (in response to euphoric)

Monday1 - 3 slow on the grass

Monday2 - 4 easy on grass incl 6 x 100 strides

5 more training days until CIM. Not sleeping all that well but feel good otherwise.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 2, 2008 7:38 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Has anyone called Ribs to tell him we have a new thread for December?

No workouts since last Saturday' sski.  Too busy at work.  I may get one in tomorrow.  We will see.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    7. Dec 2, 2008 3:16 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Euph, that's Tigger doing all the skiing, but I'll get my turn. We got a dusting of snow the other day, but still haven't seen our first substantial snowstorm yet.

I went to see my 88 year old mother this weekend and she said she'd seen the picture of me in the race Thanksgiving morning. I told her I didn't think anyone would recognize me, since I was going so fast I'd probably be just a blurr in the picture. She said, "no dear, you weren't a blurr." lol

Speaking of blurrs...

Tuesday,

Walked 2 miles with walking sticks, stashed those, then ran 3 miles easy. I think I like this workout, but am going to hold judgement for a while. The sticks work your upper body, coupled with the run it should work great.

Jim, are you still targeting sub 3 in your marathon?

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 2, 2008 9:48 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Funny, Rich. It looks like you have some good genes to go with that sense of humor.

Yeah, I'm still targeting the sub-3. The plan is to go out with the sub-3 pace group and see how it feels. I've never run with a pace group before, but this seems like a good time for it. I figure that if I beat my goal it won't  be by much and it's going to take near perfect pacing.

Aug 14, 2007
    9. Dec 3, 2008 7:55 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Jim - tell me again when and what marathon you are running.   I've never seen a sub 3 pace group at a marathon.  

Ran 10 miles of hills this morning at 7:48 pace.   If charts are correct my "easy" pace is suppose to be 7:50-8:10.   Didn't have to work too hard to run at the fast end of my easy pace.   Local 1/2 on Dec. 20.   Should be a good race for me (if I warmup properly )

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 3, 2008 10:19 AM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, I think that with a good base, which you have, you can afford to warm up for 3 miles or so even for a race as long as half marathon.

The marathon is Cal International (CIM). I thought that most of the larger marathons had a sub-3 pacer. Here's the one from last year's CIM:

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 3, 2008 1:14 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Ks, thanks for the prompt back on the November thread.  Yes Tigger, I am a dope two months in a row.

Fred, it looks like Chicago area got about 5 inches.  Only annoying part for me is how few sidewalks got plowed or shoveled.  I'm running a short stretch of sidewalk over and over.   Yesterday and today did the same thing, 4.6 miles.  I should get about 25 miles in this week and feeling very good.

Jim, in the '06 White Rock half-marathon, I warmed up with Billy Rodgers for well over two miles, and Ks is a much tougher runner than I am.  I think a 3 mile warm-up for a half marathon is about right for a strong marathoner.  But I will add that what you do immediately after that warm up and before the race, and the time gap between the two is very important.  Here is what I would add:  change shoes, drink, some nutrition (a sport drink for me), change into race clothing (dry is key), toilet, keep moving, and no more than 20 minutes or so of a gap.  You don't want to warm up at 7 o'clock and race at 8:30 for example.  I always believed it took iron nerves to do this right and in the big races it's darned near impossible. Spareribs

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    12. Dec 3, 2008 7:06 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Yep, I'm still around occasionally. Finally connected with the "retiree" group in the running club that meets for runs weekday mid-morning a couple times a week. Just what I was looking for.

Ran 6 miles around Stony Creek Lake at a slightly 9+ pace. This'll be my regular winter venue unless it melts enough to clear the trails. Keep up the good work, everyone!

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    13. Dec 4, 2008 4:18 AM (in response to rochrunner)

I don't imagine pacers get paid, eh?  The joy of carrying a sign for 26.2 miles must be payment enough.  Yikes.

Jim, my mother's a tough old girl.  She fell a few years ago, busted a hip, leg and wrist.  After some rehab, she bounced right back.  Lately it's been bouts with cancer, including the removal of both breasts.  She's still semi-independent and likes a home-cooked meal about as much as anything.  That's where I come in, I like to cook on weekends and bring her a plate whenever I do.

I'm sore lately so ran a 3 mile recovery run Wednesday...

Hey roch, sounds like retirement's going well, good for you.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    14. Dec 4, 2008 5:02 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich - kudos to your mom.

Hi Roch

5.75 easy this morning @ 7:35 pace.   Brisk cold North wind blowing this morning with 50 degree temps.

Pacers at the Houston marathon this year are sponsored by Under armor.  Every pacer gets new tech shirt, shorts, socks, and new under armor running shoes.

1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...