NEED HELP?|

3930 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2009 5:25 PM by Cycling Mob
markhanson2 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2006 12:24 PM

lower back pain

I am a 56 year old, cycling for about 3 years, 2 ironman

finishes, some shorter races. Have always had lower back pain as my limiter on the bike (i sometimes have to get off and stretch after

30 - 40 miles, and then every 10 or 20). Build ride distance up over the season from about 40 to 100+.I have been able to reduce the pain over the years by doing a variety of lower back stretches, lower body strength work and getting miles in the saddle. Believe I have a good bike set up, was done professionally and am quite comfortable except the back. Wonder if there is anything else i should be doing?

• Joe K. Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    1. Apr 26, 2008 3:20 AM (in response to markhanson2)
    Re: lower back pain

Any position on the bike that contracts or retracts the natural curvature of the spine will be a problem for you.  My only suggestion is to switch to a recumbant bike, which will provide the support you will need, and result in much less back pain.

• kamikahler Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 29, 2008
    2. Apr 29, 2008 4:11 PM (in response to markhanson2)

I have lower back pain as well from a car accident.  I have found the exercises on this site amazing, as well as there whole philosophy!  [http://www.nmpi.com/exercises.htm] good luck. 

• mstrang Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 23, 2008
    3. Sep 30, 2008 6:26 AM (in response to kamikahler)

I just did the MS150 city to the shore and I noticed it more this weekend than any other. It seems whenever I climb I get the lower back pain then it goes away when Im back on the flats again. Even when Im really ahmmering on flats my back doesnt tighten up. Any ideas why its only on climbs.

• Dtimes2 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    4. Dec 1, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to mstrang)

You have back pain on the climbs because you are using yoour glutes more on climbs. They attach to lower back muscles and can cause pain. I have also had piriformis syndrome. This is a muscle on the hip close to the glutes. Since having injections by a sports med doc I have not had as much pain. You might want to do strecthing for the hips (such as the worlds greastest stretch) This will stretch your IT band and hips.

• Cycling Mob Rookie 3 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    5. Jan 11, 2009 5:25 PM (in response to markhanson2)

I would look into trying more core/ab training. Cycling can cause an imbalance as your hip flexors and back tend to get worked more directly than your abs.

Sometimes back pain is caused by weak abs being overcompesated by the back muscles. Yoga is great to help balance the body if you are serious cyclist.

Hope that helps.

Cycling Mob - Cycling Forums

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...