Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48603 Views 287 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2009 6:42 AM by bobby_tee Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 Previous Next
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 14, 2008 11:35 AM (in response to yellowkayak)
    Re: New (older) runner looking for suggestions.

I'm not running the Princess Half, but if you plan to make a vacation of it and want to stay in the park, they have a "buy 4 get 3 free" special (7 nights for the price of 4) if you book by December 20. Just go to www.disneyworld.com

Len

Len

• lrunner Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    61. Nov 14, 2008 11:42 AM (in response to Sherrose)

boy, i know about those bouncing water bottles...3 belts later i think i found one that works pretty well, it's the amphipod-got those fluorescent green/yellow bottles, that clip on.  theres a learning curve involved getting the bottles to stay put, but so far it is fairly jiggleless. plus you can take a bottle of water+a bottle of electrolyte stuff.

If your half marathon has pacers, see what they offer.  usually at the expo they have a sign up booth, talk to the people there and they can make recommendations.  they have a wide range of times.

Run as far as you are comfortable with, but don't forget to give yourself time to "taper" before the race.  Being "older" we take a little longer to get fit, work a little harder to stay there but also injure more easily and take longer to heal.

Have fun!

• Sherrose Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    62. Nov 14, 2008 12:42 PM (in response to lrunner)

Thank you for the advice!  I will definitely check into the pacers and the water bottles. I think that would make a huge difference as I build up.

Thanks!

• Bobbie Scales Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 31, 2007
    63. Nov 14, 2008 1:39 PM (in response to RunGrandmaRun)

I'm registered with Tem in training to do the Disney half-marathon in Jan.  If anyone is interested, I know that some of the charities affiliated with it still have slots open.  If you go to the Disney race site, they're links to the various charities.  As far as pacers go, I know that they have them for any pace.  I run a 12-13 minute mile but I know they have pacers that run for the 16 minute pace to keep people at the back of the pack from being picked up by the trail car so I'm sure you'll find a pacer for you.    As far as hydration systems, I know some people run wearing a camel back and that doesn't bounce.  My belt doesn't bounce and it has 10 ounce bottles but if I don't have it tight enough on my waist, it has a tendancy to spin so that the bottles and pack for my gels are in the front.  Team in Training has a set schedule for long runs on the weekend with the lengths decreasing just before the event.  When I run, I don't look at my watch until I'm done - I don't like to think about how long I've been running - but I use mile markers to decide when I should drink and use my gels.  Maybe when I get more confident in my ability to run a certain amount of time I'll use time instead of distance to do my refueling.  Keep up the good work.  It's so good to see all us 'old folk'  that have finally gotten off our duffs and started doing something to keep us around longer.

• OldnSloNHRunner Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    64. Nov 14, 2008 2:34 PM (in response to skileysc)

to skileysc, you really shouldn't be worried about stopping or running "intervals"... Galloway ( a prolific marathoner and running author) states emphatically that you should takes rests from running during long runs by walking. He states that it leaves you with an energy boost to complete the last 5 - 6 miles when walk breaks are no longer needed. I have a difficult time using his formula but I take breaks when my body tells me it's necessary and I have completed 9 marathons and heaven knows how many halfs and other races. I too had a weight problem and still do at 185 -190 at age 61. When I started trying to run seriously at age 53 - 54 I weighted 275 - 280. But just like you, thru diet (wish I could have the discipline to keep on one now) and running dropped the weight in about 18 months.

Can you believe that at a weight of over 200 lbs, I used to teach a 1 credit class on Jogging at the college where I taught accounting classes. One thing I should always remind runners is that they need to hydrate and take gels. New runners should also be reminded to get themselves outfitted with technical wear. Nothing is so difficult than running in a soaked cotton T-Shirt. They don't breathe and extract a tremendous amount of energy as well as sapping confidence about running in general.

At the same running store where I suggested you get fitted for running shoes, ask the advise of the owner/manager, etc as to what kind of running wear and other necessities you'll need to make running enjoyable and healthy. I can assure you that the money spent there will be well worth it. (By the way, I don't have any interest in any form of running store in case readers are asking themselves that question). You should also tell them your plans and ask them if you can pick their brains for any information you'll need to finish the different length races. There are different strategies, training programs, etc for all types of races. I like some of the programs offered at runnersworld.com, where they lay out daily requirements to finish your race.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and finally there is one other resource which I think is the best. Join a local running club. The camaraderie and friendships you'll create will help you race-wise and socially. I love my local club and those who join usually feel the same. But, don't just join.... go to one of their events, tell them you're a new member and let what happens happen... I guarantee you, you'll be satisfied.

I nearly forgot, ther was one person who was concerned about the training for the Miami Half Marathon on Jan 25th. You've got plenty of time to get yourself ready. Maybe, I'll see you there since I'm doing the full -- for the 3rd time in 4 years.... Love Miami!!!!

But, you're right it's difficult training for Miami in the cold, but just try to finish --- you'll do it.... don't try to set a too high standard for yourself since the weather can cause havoc with the best of plans... 2 years ago, I ran it and didn't even get to see South Beach because the rain was so heavy (It nearly never rains in Miami in January -- but the sky opened that day) and afterwards the humidity and heat got to me and all I wanted to do was to just finish -- I finished with my worst time ever, but I was just as happy since I finished it.

Also, make certain you get there a few days in advance to somewhat become used to the temperature change and also to enjoy Miami! Did I say I love Miaimi?!!!

Whoops, just noticied that my screen name changed from Rogerd430 to my old screen name-- as you can see I don't usually write too many comments -- but do so when I think we need encouragement.

Run safe and strong fellow runners......

Nov 8, 2007

Great advice! thank you so much.  I'm the one running in Miami.   I am going to the store and figuring out what belt to wear as well as getting some more clothes this weekend!

Can't wait....

I'm going to try all this out on Monday!

Thank you....!

• mickeefynn Amateur 104 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    66. Nov 14, 2008 4:09 PM (in response to RunGrandmaRun)

Here's a link to a WebMD article from today regarding maintaining "energy balance." It addresses the question, "Your Exercise Routine: How Much Is Enough? Experts explain why some people should try for 30 minutes of exercise a day, while others, who have weight gain issues, may need up to 90 minutes." Interesting article.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/your-exercise-routine-how-much-is-enough?ecd=wnl_wnb_111408

mickeefynn
    Dec 17, 2007
    67. Nov 14, 2008 5:10 PM (in response to Sherrose)

Hi again, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but, I hope you'll be frequenting a "local" running store and not a chain... at the chains, most of the "kid" sales clerks have little or no idea of our needs, etc. and we usually end up teaching them. I've retired from teaching and really don't enjoy training the big box sporting goods chain clerks.

As for hydration needs, I use any of 4 of which 2 are similar and one is a dual holster designed for what I call long runs. Three of my hydration belts are by Nathan of which I have 2 with a 1 bottle capacity that ride on the small of my back (they work out real well with little or no bouncing) and finally I use a fuel belt that has 3 6 oz bottles and 1 bottle for gels--- I won this at a race and really don't like it as much as the Nathan's, but it has it's place in runs for 6 - 9 miles.

You really shouldn't neglect the use of gels...they are designed to be used for any type of activity that lasts over 30 minutes.. I personally don't start using them until my runs exceed 1 hour and then its 1 every 30 minutes followed by a sip of water.

One other major necessity is the use of BodyGlide.  Use this over your nipples to stop bleeding due to the constant rubbing on your shirt.  I found this out once by watching a guy come in with 2 long red stripes on a white running shirt.  I asked one of my friends and that's how I found out about BodyGlide... you can use vaseline, but, I don't like the feel on my chest and shirt... BodyGlide fells like nothing and it really works, and if you have blister problems you can use it on your feet too!

At Miami and for other 1/2 to full marathons, I usually wear a pair of shorts from RaceReady that have pockets built in for gels... these are real good quality shorts priced comparably and can be ordered over the web at raceready.com. Check them out, I don't run long races without them.

I dread training in the cold of winter, too. NH is just about as cold or maybe colder than Minn so we'll have the same needs for training. This winter you should dress as though the temperature is 20 degrees warmer that the temp. You should if possible, layer and I find necessary wind pants and runners tights. I have 3 or 4 of each as well as runner's fleece to be worn over your shirt. When the winds are up, I usually wear a wind breaker (or course it's breathable) over either a shirt or shirt/fleece combo and ALWAYS wear ear and head protection as well as using running gloves.... This way, hopefully you'll be able to get to Miami in 1 piece ready to run....

I'll let you know my number, when I find out so you can look me up in Miami.... Good luck and most of all use your common sense this winter.

Nov 8, 2007

You don't sound like a know it all at all!  I so appreciate the advice!  Every tip helps!     I will look for the Nathan hydration belt - I am going to a fitness store.   I actually live most of the winter in Miami so not much training in Minnesota in winter which is nice!   I am going to get the Gels also and work on this next week.   I do use the body Glide...love it.  I use it on my legs, arms, feet where ever I seem to be having problems (which seem different for every run!)

Any tips on keeping your feet cool?  Around the 8 mile mark, the balls of my feet start to burn!  (weird huh?)   I do wear running sox- but maybe there are  some you might recommend?

I'll check out the shorts too....really appreciate all the tips. I'm excited!

Its cooling off here early next week so should be more manageable also!

Thank you!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    69. Nov 15, 2008 6:38 AM (in response to Sherrose)

I've been reading through these posts and I have a couple comments.

• Don't sell yourself short. There's nothing wrong with a 12 or 14 minute pace or doing run/walk or fast walking. The point is you're out there exercising at your own level. That can improve if you want it to or you may be happy just cruising along at your current pace. Stay out there, be consistent in doing your workouts, and don't push yourself to the point of injury.

• HYDRATE!! I cannot emphasize that enough. It's a 24x7 job, plus when you're running. It doesn't matter if you're running 10 miles a week or 50. You need to stay well hydrated. True story: The first few years I ran I was doing 3 miles, 3, maybe 4 times a week, and paying no particular attention to hydration. I ended up with kidney stones. After that I paid attention and I haven't had a problem since (20+ years).

Sherrose, make sure those running socks aren't cotton. But even if they're not, some socks just don't get along with some feet. I've had the same problem. Unfortunately, it can mean experimenting, and socks aren't free. Generally, you don't want to wear all-cotton anything.

Len

Len

Dec 17, 2007
    70. Nov 15, 2008 7:20 AM (in response to Sherrose)

I'll be out of this thread for the next week.  Can you believe I'm also going to Florida.  We've got a timeshare in Orlando and had to use it.. so we're going in about 2 hours.

As far as running socks are concerned, I've had good luck with Wright socks and some that I've purchased on-line from Baysixusa.com.  They sell almost anything, and I've been completely satisfied with everything that I bought from them.  Usually they're at Miami's expo.  But a word of warning, try not to use anything "new" for the race since you're not sure that it might cause problems.  One more thing, I use a "visor" for sun and sweat control in long races-- bought it from BaySix in fact, and they work well...

Good luck and I'll be picking up info on this thread after my return next Saturday.

Run strong and Safe.........

Dec 17, 2007
    71. Dec 2, 2008 5:28 PM (in response to Sherrose)

WOW!

Nothing much happened to this thread since I've been away and back?! Thought there would be a lott more discussion since so many of us older runners want as much info as possible to keep running injury free and running well.

I tried to figure out what was happening with your "hot feet" but all I can think of is that you might be wearing shoes that are too tight in the toe box area. Did you check out any of the on-line suppliers for socks. I've been using New Balance socks again for the last few weeks and they seem to fit and work real well... But, I end up throwing them out after 10 -15 runs since they seem to lose their ability to shed water and become a little threadbare. Maybe you'd like to try them out too?

Just to let you know that I've just taken my first long run this year in the cold. Sunday did approx 18 mi (17.82 mi) starting at 21 F @ 9:00 AM in dank weather and finished in the snow. Yuck! I even used my double holster water belt for the first time in quite a while and I drank all of the liquid and still wanted more -- used 5 gel packs- 1 every 30 mins- trying to be a good runner keeping my hydration and energy up....

I tried to follow my old rule of dressing like it's 20 degrees warmer and it didn't work for me that day. I think the problem was with my waterproof Boston Marathon jacket (what's the sense in running Boston without letting others know) (by the way ran it the first time at age 57 and 2nd at age 58 -- anyone can do it!! Just takes a lot of determination and a lot of training)-- it didn't breathe as much as I wanted it to and I really wilted in the last few miles. In addition, the cold makes every little ache and pain magnified.... at about mile 9 my hamstring started to hurt -- injured that 4 years ago and it really doesn't act up. At about mile 15 my left ankle starting to stiffen -- broke that ankle 40 years ago and it occasionally acts up -- but not like it did Sunday...

The moral, if there is one --- no one really can figure out the best way to run any type of long distance even though they're run them before --- I've run 18 mi or more so many times I can't count them and every time is different...

Stay in Florida for the winter--- the cold really S****s.

Nov 8, 2007

I totally get what you felt. I hate running in that weather.  It is much more work and its hard enough as it is.   I can't imagine going 18 miles though. Good for you!!

Florida has cooled off alot and I ran 8 miles prior to going back to MN for T'giving.  I did exactly what everyone has told me...hydrated at 1 hour and  ate half a gel packet. I also started very slow. It was great- I felt wonderful!   (ok, I'm very slow- it took me about an hour and a half but oh well!)I intented to run at home in MN either on treadmill for an hour or outside.   My foot and ankle started reallly bugging me.  My left foot on the top gets very stiff and my ankle sort of burns.  I'm very frustrated.  If I take advil its muchbetter until the advil wears off.  I'm fairly certain its not a stress fracture as I had one of those a few years ago and it swelled slightly and hurts to touch and gets warm.  This is different.   I would have run anyway however then I got a terrible cold.  All told I only ran 2 times 3 miles each while home for 2 weeks!!

Landed back in Miami this afternoon.  Heading out tomorrow for 4 miles after advil!  Wish me luck!  I need to get back to it if I'm going to make the half marathon in January!!.

• sharonlynnford Rookie 8 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    73. Dec 2, 2008 6:11 PM (in response to RunGrandmaRun)

first of all, congratulate yourself on your job well done!  you could even do a bardering system (when i jog more then 3 miles, i get a sweet tea or a pedicure)...

if doing it with groups, there is a 5k in canton called the jingle bell run this upcoming sunday morning to benefit children with arthritis.

KEEP AT IT!  DOING 5K is rigorous, so but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO invigorating!

if your goal is to continue the 5k's, then set your mind to it and remind yourself that YOUare your BEST cheerleader!

make the corny list of "I AM AN INCREDIBLE PERSON BECAUSE..."

no one MADE you do it, YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU did it on your own and you MUST feel empowered by doing so...

KEEP IT UP!

(SLF, the personal trainer who would be more than happy to be your exercise coach if you were looking for one! )

• nicasio3 Pro 66 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    74. Dec 2, 2008 6:45 PM (in response to RunGrandmaRun)

I'm 49, I already run 8 full marathon, 6 half.

My co-worker call me that I'm crazy

Just I want to tell all of you never is to late to start

CONGRATULATION!!!!

Have a Great Season.

"Never give up, never surrender without try"

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...