Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1539 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2008 9:03 PM by crl8686
wanrun Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2008 9:39 PM

injury-need to stay conditioned

hi, I am a newbie and have not yet been to the newbie runners discussion but I have a question as a runner.  I started running again, I haven't since HS, and am trying to get back in shape, hopefully how I was in HS but it has been six years.  Eventually I would like to train for marathons, however, I have been bombarded by injuries since I began running again.  I started about a year ago, and was doing a mile in about six minutes in my new shoes I was told would be excellent for treadmill running.  Treadmill running is primarily what I must do now because pavement is too hard on my legs and feet.  I had shin splints a few months ago for about a month so I stopped most of my running even though it was hard.  Now that that has healed I have a problem in my left foot which I think is a stress fracture.  How can I continue to stay in as best shape as possible while waiting for this to heal? (I can do other things i just cannot run right now). I lost a lot of what I had worked hard for during my shin splint and I don't wanna do that again.   Thank you for any suggestions

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    1. Dec 2, 2008 6:29 PM (in response to wanrun)
    Re: injury-need to stay conditioned

I would be very careful doing anything until that stress fracture heals.  That can be life impacting if you don't. 

That said, i would stick to the bike in the gym, or in your home if you have that available.  That's the ONLY thing i'd do using the foot.

I hope it heals for you and then you can get back to training again.

I know it's a bummer right now, but being patient and letting it heal will pay off in the long term.

Christine

• CHMiss Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2008
    2. Dec 14, 2008 2:17 PM (in response to christine94)

I am slowly starting to run again after a pelvic stress fracture that happened at the beginning of August. Talk about frustrating! My orthopedic doctor told me to stick to biking and swimming. No eliptical and definitely no running. Good luck!

• willy8888 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008
    3. Dec 14, 2008 2:43 PM (in response to wanrun)

Forget the treamill? Get outside and run...if pavement too hard...find a high school tract or trails yo run.  Also get good pair of real running shoes at a specialty running store.

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Dec 15, 2008 9:03 PM (in response to wanrun)

wanrun wrote:

....I have a problem in my left foot which I think is a stress fracture.....

First thing I'd recommend is having your foot checked by an orthopedist to confirm that it is a stress fracture. There are other painful foot conditions that aren't stress fractures and for which the treatment would be different. If it is a stress fracture, do not try to run through it; it may lead to a complete break of the bone. The exercises you can do will depend on just where the fracture is and how serious it is. You may or may not be able to put weight on your foot or to bend your foot while it is healing. In my case, I stress fractured a metatarsal bone in one foot a number of years ago while weight training. The break was minor, so I was allowed to ride an exercise bike as long as I did not bend my foot. So I rode the bike - in stiff-soled hiking boots - for a month. It was quite a sight but it kept me in decent aerobic condition till I could start running again. 

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points