Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

984 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2008 4:53 AM by DaveVause RSS
kidfarm Expert 47 posts since
Aug 27, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 29, 2008 11:08 AM

Can a treadmill replace the outside road for training?

I am training for my first Marathon May 3, but the weather here in WI is not the best for running outside. Is it possible for me to train on the treadmill when it is too cold, icy, or windy to run outside?  I am using a 3% incline and the speed varies 5.8 - 6.2 depending on how far I am running. Trust me 10 miles on a treadmill is not the most exciting thing. Or should I just bundle up and go outside?

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I have a gym in my basement with a treadmill.  I use it when the weather is nasty, but I think Maryland weather is never as bad as Wisconsin weather.  That said, its always better to train for a road race on the roads.  I like to say I don't do lightening and I don't do ice.  Use the treadmill sparingly, remember your marathon will be outdoors.

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008

I have to agree.  Don't run on ice, and don't run when it's below 32 degree's outside.  That said all other times bundle up and run outdoors.

Use the tredmill sparingly.  You will able to prepare for whatever weather WI throws at you in May as well.  And it'll keep you motivated instead of bored with your work outs.

Christine

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I'll run in temps down into single digits.  But icy roads are an invitation to injury.

The marathon is a very mental event.  You best train your mind for it by training under circumstances that are closest to what you expect for the race.  The variable weather you encounter in training toughens you for the variable weather you can encounter at the race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...