Skip navigation

2484 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2008 8:41 PM by Swampy1970 RSS
smess Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 22, 2008 7:15 PM

Good self-massager?

Anyone have recommendations for a good self-massage tool for legs, like one of those little wooden or plastic deals with the knobs?

Since I've been cycling a ton the last few months, I've been dealing with knee pain, and the doctor said I just have patellar tendonitis (the tendon below my knee acts up and swells a little).  There's no quick fix -- stretching, ice, and avoiding big gears -- but one thing that seems to help is massaging my quads to loosen them.  Since I ride in the morning, I really need something I can do at my desk, so I wanted to find a good little massage tool.  Any recs?  Thanks!

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 18, 2008 4:57 PM (in response to smess)
    Re: Good self-massager?

I have a big one, plugs in, has heat capability, makes a lot of noise, works pretty good.  I have problems with my back muscles, glutes, and hips getting tight.  Bought a rubber ball for $1.50, a tennis ball would work also.  Lean up against a flat wall and work it around in a circular motion.  For the glutes use a wodden chair.  It really works!  They sell sticks for working quads, but why wouldn't a broom handle work as well?  For quads, ham strings, and calfs, I like my foam roller.

• Swampy1970 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    2. Dec 10, 2008 8:41 PM (in response to smess)
    Re: Good self-massager?

smess,

I think you're working around the issue rather than dealing with it. Sounds like you need some time off the bike, or at least some time just taking it easy on the bike,  in order to rectify whats thought to be tendonitis. Either way in addition to using lower (easier) gearing, make sure that your position on the bike is correct. In addition to using gears that may be too big, patellar tendonits can be caused by a sadde that's too low or too far forward.

Make changes gradually - around 1/4" at a time. For some good info from a respected sports doctor follow the link below. Andy also worked with Specialized to do alot of Specialized's "Body Geometry" shoes and clothing...

http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/bikefit.html

Happy cycling.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points