Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2581 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2008 7:23 AM by MomCat003
mynewhobbie8 Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Bursitis in hip, any exercises?!

About a year ago,I started running quite a bit and within 8 months I started to get a bad pain in my hip. My doctor diagnosed me with bursitis and as of now, I've been cross-training by swimming  and running not as frequently.Although my hip still has pains, I try to do extra warm-ups and things to prevent the injury from getting worse, it is better now than it was, but how do I prevent it from getting as bad as last year with out having to stop running? Are there any excercises I can do that will help?

This will be a great help if anyone has any tips.

Thanks.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Dec 14, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to mynewhobbie8)
    Re: Bursitis in hip, any exercises?!

try a 3 -4 week break from running and then building back slowly again - you basically have an overuse injury so using it -even less frequently - is not allowing it heal

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    3. Dec 14, 2008 3:49 PM (in response to mynewhobbie8)

HI there~

I too have Bursitis in my hip.  When you get extreme pain prop your feet up and rest.  If it hurts a little you can do hip flexor stretches.  I do a couple different ones.  One is the "Warrior pose" you see in Yoga, the other is sitting with my feet heel to heel and then GENTLY pushing down on my legs.  These two are good stretches.

I have also taken ibuprofen for the inflamation when it gets too bad.

I haven't let it stop me though, i still run and sometimes when it hurts a little before i begin a run by the time i'm done it doesn't hurt anymore.  I don't get it but it works so i'll go with it.

I hope you find relief soon.

Christine

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Dec 14, 2008 4:39 PM (in response to mynewhobbie8)

hmm - well I would revisit your doc and have him do futher checks to confirm the diagnosis if you have not already done so

I had hip problems last year - icing after running, warm up stretching and post run stretches helped and I believe that training with kettle bells strengthened my hips

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    5. Dec 14, 2008 4:58 PM (in response to spicegeek)

For me it first started on a labor day race.  It was finaly gone for the turkey trot race.  Went for theraphy, the whole nine yards, but rest and absolutley no running was the only thing that cured it.   It was the worst  and longest injury I ever had so far.    Good luck. 

• christine94 Expert 56 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    7. Dec 14, 2008 6:37 PM (in response to mynewhobbie8)

You are welcome.

Yes it's very good to take a day off a week.  You should do that always.  Even when your feeling great you need a day "off" from all the training.

You should only be training 6 days a week.

Finding your balance is key and knowing how to read your body is as well.  I know when i've "pushed" it too much and i step back and rest. 

Resting is never a bad thing, always a good thing.

Christine

• sherrymclaughlinpt Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    8. Dec 17, 2008 4:31 AM (in response to mynewhobbie8)

This is usually due to a limb that is overpronated. The culprits are primarily tight calf muscles and/or weak gluteus medius or maximus. I would love to give you some exercise suggestions if you are interested. Contact me at smclaughlin@mihp.net. Or else, you can hunt some down. It is fixable, but it just won't go away with rest. You want to fix this thing now by correcting muscle imbalances so it doesn't amount to pain elsewhere.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sherry

• MomCat003 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    9. Dec 17, 2008 7:23 AM (in response to sherrymclaughlinpt)

I had a terrible bout with bursitis in both hips a couple of years ago when I was training for a marathon. I went to a sports med doctor and here's what he told me. The bursitis is aggrevated by repetitive motion. He told me that cycling would be no better than running since it would be repetitive, also. He told me to (1) vary my route, even if that only meant running a loop and running it backwards every other day instead of the normal way. (2) take an anti-inflammatory. I had been taking Anaprox on occasion and rather than re-writing/re-filling my 'script for it, he told me to take Aleve. (3) get new running shoes every 300 miles rather than every 500 miles. (4) use ice packs after every run.

I also met with the PT and he gave me a list of stretches and exercises to do. Unfortunately, I don't have that list anymore so I can't share it with you. I never did the exercises but a couple of times, anyway.

Taking some time off from running and implementing the plan that the doctor gave me when I started back took care of the problem. Over the years, I have had minor bouts of bursitis in one hip or the other and treated it myself by taking an anti-inflammatory and getting new running shoes. This particular time was the worst, I suppose because of the higher mileage I was putting in.

Fortunately, the doctor that I saw was a runner and understood the problem from a runner's perspective.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...