Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1336 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2008 1:44 PM by Kim Runs RSS
ericalyn Amateur 13 posts since
Dec 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 15, 2008 4:48 PM

Introduction - future marathoner :-)

Hi all

I just joined the discussion boards here as a way to support myself as I lead up to a marathon in October 2009...seems like a long way off but I need time.

I am a 39 yo woman who is going to run the Portland marathon just before her 40th birthday (we are moving there this summer). I am about 20 lbs overweight from stress...trying to cope in a different way now. I am engaged to a super-fast-super-thin-super-talented-runner so it can be intimidating to waddle along and try not to care about pace and distance when he keeps asking for my times :-). But I am doing it, doing it MY WAY!! And I am having fun at it.

Currently I am training for a 1/2 marathon the first week of April and will then transition to a marathon plan. Right now I am concentrating on dropping weight so that I can increase my speed...those 20 lbs REALLY slow me down.

I have only done a couple 5K races in the past and a couple sprint distance Tris...so this is a step up. More importantly though, the past couple of years have been super difficult for me and I am TAKING MY LIFE BACK!!!

I hope to make some friends here that I can offer support to and get it in return.

best

erica

Whether I believe I can, or I believe I can't - I am right!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...