Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16733 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2009 10:23 AM by euphoric RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Dec 29, 2008 9:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - December

Rich - with no emergencies arising I will hit 2900 miles exactly this year.  I had a secret goal of 3K but a few weeks of easy running after Hartford took care of that.  I think I ran around 2500 last year.   I also think I could run less but with more quality and still perform at the same level I am now (whatever that is ).

I was curious if you had a dr's diagnosis of your heel problem or self diagnosed.   That's a mistake a fairly new runner makes (self diagnosis) and sometimes just time off isn't the real cure for a problem.

Next time you email Jim; tell him to get his butt back over to this forum.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    136. Dec 29, 2008 10:12 AM (in response to fred-urie)

The trick to running every day is making sure that you have genuine recovery days.  Today was 2.2 miles on dirt as slow as I could go, then a full stretch and core workout at the Y.  Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    137. Dec 29, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I was reading an article by Scott Douglass on commonalities among elite runners, and he says one common trait is to run very slowly on recovery days.  Here is the article, which has a link to Jack Daniels in it that's also interesting.

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15247

I haven't been running much due to a serious chest cold that I just got over.  Yesterday I was out on snowshoes for the first time in about 40 years.  This morning I tried to run but my left hammy got real sore real fast, so I only ran for 15 min.  I can walk OK and push off OK but when I try to lift my left leg up (to climb stairs) it hurts something awful along the back of my hip.  I think I'll be out of action for a few days, if not longer.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    138. Dec 30, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribs, re the running every day, did you catch the segment on one of the national news broadcasts the other day about the guy who has run every day for 40 years? There's apparently a "streak runners" organization, and he is at the top of their charts now. Of course, living in California helps in one way. He gave a mileage total, but I can't recall it (certainly in the many 10s of 1000s of miles).

I had a great run yesterday with a new subgroup from my running club, but back at the campus venue that I know so well. Did 6 miles on a beautiful cold but sunny morning. Most of the group of 8 were 40-something women, so it was pleasant from that standpoint, but they were also faster than my usual weekday pace and I got a good workout keeping up with them (although finishing near the back).

Message was edited by: rochrunner attempting to fix the paragraph breaks once again!

Aug 14, 2007
    139. Dec 30, 2008 9:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Tigger for the article.  I began thinking about my range of training speeds.  My very very fast training speed gets down to around 6:15 and my ez pace depending on length of run gets as low as 8:45.   At either end of the scale I feel I'm at risk of injury.   If I run slower it feels like I'm "hitting the brakes" with every step.

As far as the elites are concerned: what they do is not an exact transfer to non elites.   He talked about how slow they ran one workout but in the same day they did a hard workout.   Most of us aren't doing 2 a day workouts regularly.   I certainly agree about warm up and that will be a goal to improve in 2009.   In highschool and college we generally ran the entire course for warm up depending on the length of the race but always put in some good quality time getting ready.  I've gotten lazy about that.

Hey Ribz.  My dw is going to run cowtown.  You and the saint might run into her?

Roch - good scenery is always worth the extra effort.

I wonder if Fred will show up to start a new thread, or we continue in Dec into eternity, or we just stop posting as we can't post in Dec anymore?

Raider is boycotting us I guess; saw he posted in another thread.   Come make us interesting Raider.

Morning Euph and Jim and JP

Dec 14, 2007
    140. Dec 30, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Tigger thanks.  I posted the link on RA because I am trying to persuade some of them to make a recovery run a real recovery run.

Roch, my brother-in-law Joe (West Point class of '62) lives in California and is way up there on that streak list with over 30 years of not missing a day.  These guys know each other and keep track.  Clearly, the younger you are if you are up there, the better off you are as the older guys die off.

Ks, let's plan to talk before Cowtown, as I will be there with my wife and we will certainly want to connect with Mrs ccrunner.  Are you coming up?  Weather today is sensational here, mid-70's.  What are you guys getting?

5 easy miles at the dirt track today.  Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    141. Dec 31, 2008 6:24 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Yes, I agree that not all things elites do are transferable to us sloggers.  My range is 8 min (5k pace) to 12 min (very slow) per mile.  It's funny with slow running.  On the TM I notice that my HR drops as I move from 12 min miles to about 10:30 or so.  Then it begins to rise again.  I take that as a sign that my best easy pace is around 10:30 to 11 min.  Any slow and my form prolly begins to suffer, causing HR to rise.

Fresh snow last nite....about 8 inches of powder.  Wish I were in good shape so that I could go for a ski.

Two very uncomfortable nights of sleep.  I either have a bruised hammy or bursitis.  It's surprising how much something like this limits your daily activity.  Any time I go to sit, including going for a dump is very difficult.  Putting socks on is equally challenging!  I feel it's a bit better today, so maybe I can go for a walk or something.

Happy new year to everyone!  If Fred doesn't start a new post we can just pull Mr Ribs' trick and keep on posting on this one!

Aug 14, 2007
    142. Dec 31, 2008 8:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Last night dw ran 5 X 880 yds w/ 440 recovery all sub 4:00.   I'm adding 1 per week to see if she can do 10 at sub 4:00 and testing her with the yasso 800 theory.  She would need to run a 4:05 at a fall marathon to qualify for Boston.   Hoping she can run 4:15 at Cowtown in Feb.  She is coming off her best of 4:30 something last Oct. and she just ran a 2:01 1/2marathon.

I ran 11 miles of hills this morning after last nights 5 X 1200.   I'm stuck between wanting to try the yasso's or 1 mile repeats so I'm going to split the diff. until I get to 10.  Ran all of them at 6:15 to 6:06 per mile pace.   I want to run 6:50 -55 at Boston.

Have a safe evening all if you go celebrate somewhere.

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    143. Dec 31, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Has anyone found Fred yet???  Come out come out where ever you are.  Ribs has enticed me to venture into acitve.com and post with you grumpy old guys, and Euphie.  I can tell you that I have missed this group, a lot.

I am excited about being back out on the roads, and December was my highest miles in a long time(over a year) with 65 for the month.  I hope to do an easy 4 tonight and then an easy 4 tomorrow, one for the old year and one for the new year. 

I don't like this reply thing, I can't see what you all have been saying, I can only see Freds first post.  Hope I am doing this right.  (hope a don't get a zillion emails by posting, I can tell you I am scared of what active has done here)

Happy new year everyone!!!!!

Good runs to all and to all a good night! 

Aug 14, 2007
    144. Dec 31, 2008 9:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Liz,

I'm afraid Raider and Fred may be fulfilling their bucket list?  

Dec 14, 2007
    145. Dec 31, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Liz!

Ks, that plan for your wife sounds good.  You can't go much wrong with the Yasso's, as it is a gentle workout with good recovery and you can build as you go.

2.3 slow jog with my dog around the neighborhood.  Despite all my setbacks this year with injuries and the heart thing, I logged over 1,000 miles in '08.  I hope '09 is a better year for me.   Spareribs

Sep 29, 2007
    146. Dec 31, 2008 12:30 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi KS!  Hi Ribs!!

We are getting winds up to 50 mph here now...that ought to make my last run of 08 very interesting.  Going out in about an hour...will report when I return

Aug 14, 2007
    147. Dec 31, 2008 1:23 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Liz, 

I've seen your picture.   You might want to put some rocks in your pockets if you're going to run in 50 mph winds.

Sep 29, 2007
    148. Dec 31, 2008 4:12 PM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, that was funny...that avatar is not me...I haven't yet figured out how to do the pic thing here.....

But lucky me, no 50 mph winds, just 23 mph and no rocks needed....but that just let me do an easy breezy 4.1 miles in 49:38 for an avg 12:10 m/m. 32F feels like 13F. There were a few times I wondered where the wind would take me. I piled the clothes on so I could fight this weather head on. I did not have to tie my jacket around my waist, but I did unzip it just a little (no fines for unzipping, right??). Splits: 12:04, 12:39, 11:36 and 12:04

I hope to do another 4 tomorrow...ring out the old with 4, ring in the new with 4. That's the plan. Then a 9 miler this weekend. I am so very happy to be running again.

Good day and good runs everyone

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    149. Dec 31, 2008 4:52 PM (in response to runningindc)

Liz, good to see you running well, good for you...

I took Monday and Tuesday off, so didn't post here. It's an unwritten rule I think...

Anyway, today I spent 45 minutes on the Nordic Track ski machine, gimme 4 miles. No stress to my heel, so life's good.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...