Skip navigation

8319 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2009 12:45 PM by Dan Palmer RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Mike Albers Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2009 5:06 AM

Computer wanted: Wired or wireless?

I’m in the market for a new computer.  I’ve been less than satisfied with the Cateye wireless I currently own… (cross talk issues with my heart rate monitor, no cadence, and mysterious interruptions in data) I do however, like not having to deal with extra wires and zip ties.

I’m interested in a rear wheel mount this time around, so that I may use it on my trainer as well. 

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    1. Jan 2, 2009 9:48 AM (in response to Mike Albers)
    Re: Computer wanted: Wired or wireless?

I own the Cateye Strada Cadence and like it a lot.  http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/407  Its a simple computer that does its job well, its rear mounted so it works with trainers, and the cadence feature is nice. 

That being said, I have my eye on the Edge computers from Garmin.  They are very high tech and offer a bunch of bells and whistles that are useful and fun.  I live in Albuquerque NM and would love to have an altimeter on my computer, the Edge computers have an altimeter and measure the grades of the hills you climb.  We have some incredible mountains and altitude changes available here that would be fun to keep track of.

• RunJBike Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    2. Mar 1, 2009 9:12 PM (in response to Mike Albers)

With respect to interference, you hit it on the head.  Let me just ask you one thing, do you think there are going to be less wireless devices to interfere in the future?

While you do have to deal with the wires and a couple zip ties, ultimately it comes down to wether you want it to be dependable everyday.  Are a couple extra zip ties worth it to you?

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 29, 2009 11:35 PM (in response to RunJBike)

Check out SigmaSports.com for their line of bike computers.  They have several features others lack incuding a capacity to reset individual values, say average or maximum speed, without deleting the other values. Also, they have the capacity to have sub unit sections of the ride going on as well. Say you ride to your friend's house and you then do a loop back to the frined's place.  Then you ride home. With the Sigma's you can check out the distance overall and the distance of  the friends loop.  Neat. Or you could measure the distances say of individual days of a weekend and at the end of the weekend see your overall Trip total.

Headlights often cause problems with wireless systems if you are commuting at night.   In the meantime, I never use zip ties.  Go to the hardware store and guy some clear 3M tape and just tape the wires you do have along the bottom of the tubes or inside the fork. You don't see the wire nor the zip tie which looks unseemly to me on your cool bicylce.  It spiffs up the look.

E.J.

• Terry Lindemann Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2009
    4. Apr 10, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to Mike Albers)

i can get you a garmin 305 full package for about 279 which includes shipping , i have been using mine for three years now

terry lindemann

• crikki Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 19, 2007
    5. Apr 17, 2009 7:55 AM (in response to Mike Albers)

i have used wired, wireless, and gps for several years.

i, like you, did not want to go wired for the same reasons. Gps is too unreliable. but after countless wireless computers, i have decided to go wired. i would not even think of going back to wireless or gps now!

Jul 9, 2007
    6. Apr 17, 2009 5:29 PM (in response to crikki)

Hi again,

Not sure who "you" is in this thread. I've used both wireless and wired. The wired are a bit more reliable as there are more batteries to contend with and the magnetic field that radiates perpendicular to the flow of current in the lighting systems does interfere with wireless as well. On my track bike though I like to have a computer but since there isn't a brake cable to string it up, using a wireless is better. 

Again, I like the Sigmas because of the feature that allows to reset the average speed http://amongst other resets such as max etc. so that I can reset the average for example after the warm up so that when we get on the open road my "average speed" measurement actually means something.

EJ

• bikehawaii Rookie 5 posts since
    May 2, 2009
    7. May 4, 2009 4:06 PM (in response to Mike Albers)

I have been using a Sigma Rox 8.0 wireless which replaced a Cateye wired. I have been very happy with the Sigma and it has the widest variety of ride information. You can get this computer from www.treeforkbikes.com for $143 and it retails for $199.

Jul 9, 2007
    8. May 4, 2009 7:46 PM (in response to bikehawaii)

How has the ROX been with heart rate and cadence?  Do you find it easy to navigate from one feature to the other. Unlike other SIGMAS it does not have the features I mentioned earlier about resetting one particular mode without resetting them all. I found the altimeter to be pretty accurate. Any comparisons to GPS out there?

EJ

May 2, 2009
    9. May 4, 2009 8:58 PM (in response to MotiveForcer)

I have found the heart rate and cadence to work very well. I haven' experienced any interference; however, I'm not riding in my normal territory where I use to have an area that made my Polar heart rate monitor go crazy. Won't be able to do this ride for a while but it will be interesting to see if effects the Rox. It was easy to install but took a little effort to set it all up. I think it is easy to navigate but then someone else might not think so. I especially like to review all my data after the ride. I don't have any experience with the bike GPS so I can't provide any useful info only what I have read on reviews, which is easy to find by googling.

Jul 9, 2007
    10. May 5, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to bikehawaii)

Thanks for the prompt reply! I have had a little difficulty getting the cadence on consistently and think the magnet is in the right place.

Navigation has been a tad difficult and once I deleted my data when I was looking for the trip miles!

I'll work on it!

EJ

May 2, 2009
    11. May 5, 2009 7:32 AM (in response to MotiveForcer)

EJ, I haven't had any problems with my cadence but I did place the magnet very close to the sensor. I haven't deleted anything that I didn't want to delete, yet, but navigation does take some practice. I fool with it when I'm not riding to get a better feel. I like it so much better than my Cateye. Lots of useful information for training. I think you will be very happy after you use it for a while.

• JeffSchre Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    12. May 7, 2009 10:07 AM (in response to Mike Albers)

Just throwing in my two cents worth.

If you're looking for a good wireless computer I really can't say enough about the Garmin 705...Specifically the Edge 705, Heart Rate, Speed/Cadence & Data Card with Street Maps bundle....part number:  010-00555-40 on Amazon right now for $569 with shipping (as long as you don't mind waiting a coulple of weeks).  It's a little on the high side....but it's one of the most feature packed pieces of equipment out there.

Not only do you get HR, Speed and Cadence in one transmitter mounted on the chain stay with wheel magnet on rear wheel but add an ANT+Sport compatible power meter and now you have everything you could ever want to record all in one compact unit, HR, Speed, Cadence, Power, Elevation.

Not to mention a press of the mode button and you're looking at a street map with current location marked, comes in really handy when you're out in the middle of no-where and don't have a clue which direction to go to get back to your car.   It has saved my butt on numerous occasions.

I prevously had a Garmin 305 and Cyclops Powertap and never had any issues with interferance...the 305 sometimes took several mins. to pick up Satelite signals but the 705 hardly takes any time at all (30 sec. at the most).  Oh forgot to mention that if the battery dies on the speed/cadence sensor it fails over to GPS to calculate speed.

Compliants that I've seen from other people is the maps are not usable in Garmin's Training Center application without buying a software upgrade, I got around that using www.motionbased.com ($95 yearly membership) they take the GPS data and overlay it on Google Maps.

The only thing I would really like to see changed is to have the ride route displayed in real time on the map....right now it doesn't show your ride route unless you use the "Back To Start" navigation feature....then it will overlay the ride route.

Jul 9, 2007
    13. May 7, 2009 7:57 PM (in response to JeffSchre)

Interesting.

SO, can you anywhere along the ride reset the average speed?  That is without losing the miles logged.  And access that average speed right then and there without having to download it?  How about more than one distance mode?  Could I ride to your house, reset the distance but still have a trip distance, say of 10 miles, and then do your route with you, say of 30 miles then ride home and  the trip mode reads 50 now? 

That is what I need. The 1606L from Sigma does that but not their ROX 8.

Thanks for the Garmin advise. I would also be interested in knowing if it can measure downhill linear mileage separated from uphill mileage...?

EJ

• JeffSchre Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    14. May 8, 2009 8:29 AM (in response to MotiveForcer)

Well as far as a non-resetting trip it doesn't have that that I know of anyway...holding the lap button for 5 sec. resets all counters and starts a new recording.  Now that I think about it, hitting the Lap button once may do that...I would have to play with it and find out...that is once I get a new one, it went MIA last week.

You can view some stuff through ride history I haven't really used it's history navigation much so I'm not to familiar with it.

I included an attachment with screenshots of the Summary and Elevation pages from Motionbased to give you an idea of what you can get.

Motionbased does not however pull power data....but since I use a Cycleops Powertap (thanks to Cycleops working with Garmin-Slipstream) they have updated their Power Agent software to import Garmin .tcx files.

Attachments:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points