Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5018 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2009 12:53 PM by EPMoto200 1 2 Previous Next
C-Rock Pro 70 posts since
Aug 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2009 6:20 AM

What mp3 player?  Besides ipods...

Obviously the shuffle and nano ipods look and function great.  Without going into a rant I don't want to use them.  What is the best option for a window's based mp3 player?  Durable, compact, economical and functional.  Thanks.

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    1. Jan 5, 2009 7:47 AM (in response to C-Rock)
    Re: What mp3 player? Besides ipods...

The Zune series by Microsoft is GREAT.  My wife and I have zunes, Microsoft makes several different options for there mp3 player.  They have several different solid state (flash drive) options and a couple of hard drive ones (huge amounts of storage but larger size).  The Zune software for your PC is much cooler and has a lot more bells and whistles to play around with than the itunes.  I can not say enough about how superior the Zune line is, the only down side is...because its not IPod, there is not 547829457289 products to go with your zune.

Dec 3, 2008
    3. Jan 5, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to C-Rock)

Yeah, you have to give credit to the people at Apple for there ability to make people think there is only ONE option for listening to music.  It makes me laugh/cry when people are like, "I have never seen that Ipod before" when refering to my Zune.  I then tell them that IPod is not the umbrella term for digital music players and there heads explode right in front of me.  lol

• gsurla Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 17, 2007
    5. Jan 5, 2009 8:25 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I have to agree with the Zune.  Their Zune Pass is awesome.  For $15/month you have the ability to download any song in their catalog to put on your Zune.  You also get to keep 10 of those songs permanently.  Their 4,8, and 16GB players are solid state so those are the ones you will probably want for running.  I have their hard drive version and while I've dropped it many, many, many times while on the treadmill, I don't think I'd take it out on the road for a run.  It's a little too bulky for me.  My wife has the 8GB SSD version and it's pretty light so I use that one when she's not looking.

Dec 3, 2008
    7. Jan 6, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to C-Rock)

Well, here is the deal.  If you get the hard drive kind, it has 120gb of storage on it, so you can probly put as much music on it as you want.  Alleviating the need to move music too and from the player.  However, if you would just like a simple and strait forward player, try the sansa line.  They have ones with a color screen http://go.shopsansa.com/content/fuze or my wife and I have the Sansa Clip http://go.shopsansa.com/content/clip.  We use this a lot as well, its just seen by your computer as a drive, so no problems with moving music back and forth, or any data for that matter.  The batterie life is good, and the quality for the price is great.  I just recomended the zune first because I like it better, but for a simple "get the job done" player, its hard to go wrong with this little player.

• gsurla Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 17, 2007
    8. Jan 6, 2009 8:10 AM (in response to strangerthanfitness)

I've never used the Sansa line before but I have heard a lot of good things about them.  Creative also makes a pretty small and simple mp3 player called the Zen Stone Plus.  It's about the size of the shuffle but has a small l.e.d. screen and an FM player.  I have used this one and it's pretty nice but I really love my Zune.

• Rogerd430 Expert 49 posts since
    Sep 15, 2007
    10. Jan 20, 2009 2:31 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I don't own any Apple stock, but, I wish I owned it last year with it's great big run-up....

But, I've used iRiver and a few other types of MP3 players and have gone thru them like water, but, my old iPod Nano is goingon 3 years now without a hitch... now I just jinxed myself. The shuffle looks like a great idea.. It is but, it doesn't hold up to the stress I put it to.  And, if you have the shuffle for longer than 21 days, and it malfunctions, you can't bring it back to where you bought it, you've got to return it to Apple.  So forget the Shuffle.

I use the iPod, MP3 player at least 5 times/week and have used them for long "lonely" runs of over 4 hours and more than 20 miles --- iPod works the best...

Wish I could say the same about my old MP3 players....

Roger, an Old'n'Slow NH Runner
  • tomwalling Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    11. Jan 20, 2009 3:00 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I use the mp3 player in my cell phone with a stereo bluetooth headset. My phone is just the standard Sony Ericsson flip phone and it works wonderfully! I just need to find an arm band so it's a little easier to carry around/

• Ringbat Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 11, 2008
    12. Jan 30, 2009 11:06 PM (in response to C-Rock)

Check out the Creative Labs Zen Stone. I do not know if they still make them but they still have them at Wal-mart.

It is alot like a Shuffle but alot less expensive and remarkebly durable. I have had one for over a year, use 3-4 times per week while running. It fits nicely in those little pockets that they have in running shorts and is very light-weight. It is only 1GB but that is plenty to get through a workout.

• clokoro Amateur 23 posts since
    Nov 16, 2007
    13. Apr 24, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I just got a 2GB Sansa Fuze last month for ~$65. I like it a lot. It's light and sleek (less than 1/2" thick). It takes microSD cards up to 16GB, I think. It plays music, video, FM radio and audiobooks. Found a cheap silicone cover and LCD shield for it online, so I feel less paranoid about dropping it. I can't comment on what it's like running with it, though. I prefer not to run with music.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE:  I've run with my Fuze a few times now, and I'm still pleased with it.  It didn't get in the way or slide around when I clipped it into a pocket of my waistband.  The earbuds stayed put.  No complaints.

Message was edited by: clokoro

• SOJO9 Amateur 30 posts since
    Nov 6, 2008
    14. Feb 23, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to C-Rock)

I have a 4 gig Sony Walkman...it is small, easy to use, and fits in my running shorts pocket.  I would love to have an IPOD though...but not for running.

"Confidence is relatively high"

National Heritage Corridor 25K 2:06:18.1

Journeys Marathon 4:07:34

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 1:46:21

Whistlestop Marathon 3:51:39

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...