Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1733 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 12:46 PM by chuntley RSS
sgyohe Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 10, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2009 8:42 PM

Peroneal Tendonitis - Anybody have experience with this?

Anybody have any experience with this?  I have been running for a little over a year.  I had a flare up when I first started running - and had it diagnosed as Peroneal Tendonitis.  During that flare up, I just assumed that it was because I was a new runner and my body wasn't used to it.  I had increased my mileage too quickly and was pushing too hard.  I ended up moving inside for a few weeks - to the eliptical.  That helped.  But I hated every minute of it. 

Well, almost a year later...it's back:(  And it's worse this time!  I'm running between 20-25 miles/week...mostly outside.  A few weeks ago - I had to run on the treadmill for 3 days....and that is when it started to hurt.  I had increased my pace on the treadmill...but not my distance.  (I hate the treadmill - so my philosophy was to run 4miles as fast I could...to get it over with;-) 

That's when it started hurting again.  Now I have pain along both tendons - with the pain starting in my ankle, running along the outside of my foot and now also running down to the ball of my foot.  (I didn't have this during the first flare up)  From what I am reading, that is the peroneal longus that is impacting the ball of my foot?  Or could this be two separate issues?

Do I need to stop running completely in order for this to go away?  I am struggling to do that.  I have cut back mileage - and am taking 2 - 3 day breaks between runs...but I hate not running.  The thought of having to stop completely for a couple of weeks makes me want to cry.  But, so does the pain I have in my ankle when I run now:-( 

Anybody have experience with this?  What steps do you take to help prevent it?  What seems to bring it on?  How long do your episodes last? 

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you!

Sarah

• dbrown1177 Expert 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008

Check this out   http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/peroneal-tendon.htm

Have you seen a doctor? I delayed seeing my doctor for my knee pain and made my condition worse.

• dbrown1177 Expert 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008

Sorry,

My only injury so far had been Patellar Tendonitis, which I am recovering from now.

I understand your frustration, it is driving me crazy to not to be able to run for almost 8 weeks now. hoprfully in 2 more weeks I can start back slowly.

• R Mathews Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2009

Sarah,

I have the same condition and tried to let it heal with rest.   This yielded limited results. 

I reccomen seeing podiatrist or Physical Therapist who is a runner.  I saw both and received a short term, get rid of the pain, and a long term fix.   Yes I am back to running versus just biking and working out.

Rob

• bob_ellis Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I'm going through this right now (or so I think).  Did a 10K on June 6 and started having problems almost immediately after the run was over.  Could hardly walk that day (although I remained on my feet for most of the day, limping around) and spent the next day on the couch with ice on the foot (pain is on the outside of my foot, about midway between heel and toe). 

On Monday, I took the day off work - could barely get dress shoes on - spent the day on the couch again.  Had some leftover vicodin from a separate incident and started taking it (alternating between that and ibuprofin depending on the pain).  Was finally able to start moving around a little better by the end of that week....still had pain though.  On that weekend (the 13th - a week after injury) I mowed the yard and when finished, was in pretty bad pain again...but that was the longest I'd spent up on my feet in motion like that since the 10K. 

Pain started going away again over the next day or so...went to the gym Monday (6/15) and did work with weights...pain was bad the next morning, but went away almost completely by that night (was able to wash two cars with no pain last night).  Pain was back again this morning...but subsided as day went on...sometimes get a twinge of dull pain, but for the most part feeling good right now - will go to the gym tonight and do some weight work again...maybe try an eliptical and see how that goes.  Will probably stay away from running for at least the rest of this week - maybe longer depending on how the pain comes and goes. 

One thing that seems to have made a big difference for me is using a gel called BioFreeze (I bought a knock off brand, actually, but been working) and then wrapping the foot with a sports wrap.  By the time I get home from work, I'm usually feeling good enough that I take off the wrap and just walk around barefoot or in flip flops. 

Thie injury has been a real pain...but I'm hopeful the progress I've made over the last 3 days or so is a sign that it's starting to go away...guess I'll find out for sure when I start trying to run again.

• bob_ellis Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Update:

After lifting weights hard and heavy on Mon/Wed (including some leg exercises) I got bored tonight around 8:00 (central time) and decided to go for a short run to test the pain while running.  I ran a little 1.35 mile route in about 11 minutes with no pain....still no pain about 2 hours later...fingers crossed that I don't wake up in the morning a cripple.  If I'm good, I guess I can kick the running up a notch and see how it turns out - hoping to be able to do a 5k around middle of July that I've been wanting to run - but if I wind up in pain from this run (and the pain continues) will probably have to back it off and maybe not do any more races this summer.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

I've dealt with this kind of pain before and it can be a tough one to beat.  Some of the best ways to speed the healing process are to ice it 3-4 times per day for 20 minutes at a time.  Really numb the area, alternate with elevating your foot above your heart.  Once the acute pain phase is over, here are some great ways to prevent it from happening again:

1. Get rid of your bulky shoes - try something that puts your foot a little closer to the ground.

2. Run on trails or grass instead of pavement.

3. Run 4-8 barefoot strides 1-3 times per week.

4. Put a damp towel hand flat on your tile/linoleum floor and scrunch it up with your toes.  Do that 10 times.  When you get good at it, put a 1, 2 or 3 lb. weight on the end of it.

5. Don't wear shoes in your home.  Strengthen your feet by being barefoot as much as possible.

I hope these help!  Good luck.

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009

After you've gotten the inflamation down, you might try some stretching to keep it from recurring. 

I use a towel stretch. It eliminates the peroneal pain almost immediately.

1. Sit with your legs straight in front of you.

2. Loop a rolled up bath towel around the middle of your right foot, with the towel crossing over itself. The end of the towel touching your instep should be held with the right hand. The other end, the part passing around the outside of the foot, should be held by the left hand.

3. Pull with your right hand so that the bottom of your foot points inward. You should feel a stretch on the outside of your leg, just above the ankle.

4. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 2 more times.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the left foot (and left hand).

To make it easy, I just keep the towel next to my bed so I can stretch before going to bed and again when I get up in the morning.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...