Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8895 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2009 9:48 PM by Nikedude RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • cchelseaa77 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 9, 2007 7:42 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)
    Re: why do football and xc hate each other?

I just don't like how my school gives such a big deal on football, who barely won any games, than my team (XC) who won countless races and won state. But whatever. Football is more "traditional."

• Runner213 Amateur 10 posts since
    May 11, 2007
    16. Sep 9, 2007 8:29 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

I am a pretty good cc star at my highschool but freinds with all the football players. We kick it all the time. Just won day we had a kamanchi club for football and they asked me to come. I came out and it ended with a 2 mile run. I ran a 9:43 pretty good for me and all the football players ran 12+. They then started showing me more respect for the sport. I got two busses from my school to go down to state with me last year  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!.

• XCchicky Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 6, 2007
    17. Sep 21, 2007 5:43 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

At our school its not that bad... We have a few FB players on our team and we dont have practices on Fridays just because of the games (its our rest day)... Its really fun to tell them that I ran 5 miles this morning and will probally run a few more after school and watch their jaws open... mostly their answers are WHY! and i just say... Why not? I gets you in shape... But at our school FB and VB dominate and who cares about XC... At school they always complain that more ppl should come to their games and its like "why should we go to VB games when you guys dont even think to go to our meets"

• DAVEEEEDx7 Expert 40 posts since
    Sep 17, 2007
    18. Sep 21, 2007 9:03 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

quote:

Originally posted by Crazy1:

Because football players are f-in morons.

Football=Dumb, fat, slow, stupid, pointless, cocky, big, self-centered, waste of oxigen, waste of space, waste of waste.

xc=chill, cool, sexy.

How are football players hot. I suppose if you go for the dumb fat look.

I AGREE, they're cocky annoying and dont have the uttermost respect for runners. and well cross country is so underated at my school. we're probably the most hated oranization and we get no respect :[

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Sep 23, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

I found that I never really had a problem with football players at university (my high school didn't have football). I find that the good football players have a respect for any and all athletes and when you actually sit and talk with them they are usually in awe of the effort that runners put in. The problem is with the 4th and 5th string guys who never play but for some reason think they're king poop. Your best bet is to just ignore them.

• longrunt Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    20. Jul 16, 2008 9:30 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

IMO it's because of the differences in definition of a sport. Many football players don't think of running as a sport and many runners don't think of football as a sport. It's just a game. My definition of a sport is competition in which the athlete suffers SELF INDUCED pain which is much harder to go through due to the fact that you know you can end it at anytime, but yet you keep going and pushing harder. This leads me to not think all that highly of football as a sport, but more as a fun and very respectable game. On the other hand, a football player's definition of sport may be "competition involving a team effort with scoring, fans, physical contact, and a complete necessity of victory." Because running supposedly lacks physical contact (we all know this isn't true, but it is common belief) football players who don't see all the training and pain we go through don't think too highly of running.

• bendaruna7 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008
    21. Sep 23, 2008 4:17 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

becaus XC runnas work way harder and football peeps cant work near as hard as us runnas so they make fun of us

• LingoRC Rookie 37 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Sep 23, 2008 7:11 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

Well, I've been outta high school for a few years and after that the hate kind of goes away. If your all still competing in college then there's a lot of respect for each other... at least in my experience.

In high school, the track is around the football field so they seem to feel they "own" everything in the vicinity of their lovely field. My problem was always that, they would decide that even though we're doing a workout on the track and they're chugging down water doing nothing they have the right to stand in the middle of the track and not move. Sure they were good, but they were still morons.

• longrunt Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    23. Sep 23, 2008 7:54 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

While we have practice, it's the freshman team on the field, so they're pretty easily intimidated. If I'm on the track & they don't move, they get plowed-in pads or not. They've started to learn that if I'm charging, they better get the **** outta the way.

That reminds me. who hates the band? They're even worse than the football players-the entire band used to march right across the track while we were doin repeats b4 they moved to the parking lot. I'm pretty sure we damaged a few of the instruments belonging to the idiots who didn't move.

• PAthe3rd Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 11, 2009
    24. Jan 11, 2009 5:42 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

the band isn't so bad here, although I'd probably feel differently if they were marching over the track. I get very sick of the football team practicing by the track and being "so cool." I hate getting hit with a football during a speed workout! Some of the guys are alright as individuals but when you get them all together they are less appealing. A lot of the xc girls are liked by football players(as they should be we are so fine) but the guys don't seem to always get along quite as well. Different kinds of people. Runners: smarter(generally), a little bit quirky(in a good way), funny, laid back

Football players: high maintenance, less intelligent(again, generally. about 8 of the best freshmen are supposed to be sophmores), show offs, need recognition for everything they do

• NicktheAviator Amateur 8 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    25. Jul 5, 2009 2:16 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

I ran XC and played baseball & football when I was in school (not too long ago). Let's face it. As sad as it may be, XC will never dethrone football as the most popular sport in America. What do many Americans do on Saturdays and Sundays? Attend or watch football games! Varsity Blues, Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights...this is life for a massive population of high schoolers in America. XC will always remain in the shadows of American athletics behind football, baseball, and even basketball.

Doesn't mean it's an easier or less cool sport. It's just American culture. And not all footballers are cocky jocks and not all XC are shining examples either. Let's not stereotype.

Just my $0.02.

And for the record...IT IS more important to be able to out-run, out-bike, and out-swim your opponent than to be able to run a few 40-yard sprints and squat 500 pounds.

"Adventure is the best souvenir."

"Never stop exploring. If you're not constantly pushing yourself, you're leading a numb existence."
    -Dean Karnazes

"Army helicopter pilots are God's lunatics."
    -Joseph Galloway

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Jul 5, 2009 4:20 PM (in response to NicktheAviator)

Don't worry runners......more U.S. elementary school children are playing soccer than NFL-style foot ball.  This year, for the first time, the US men's team made it to soccer championship finals.  In one generation, NFL-style football will be financially extinct and American boys, girls, and pros will be playing the football played by the other 96% of the world.......

soccer.

• bp30 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    27. Jul 9, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

XC is for people who can't hit. I played football in high school and college, but I'm older now and can't hit, so I run marathons.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    28. Jul 24, 2009 6:35 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

FWIW:  Brothers and I all played high school football, brothers played NCAA football and competed in Track and Field (mostly field - Discus, Shot, 35lb etc), I played Club Rugby (Div 3 and 4)into my 30's.  Along comes my son who decides to RunXC.  My youngest brothers initial reaction:  XC?  Thats way harder than playing football.  At my highschool however, there was no hate and discontent between Football and XC.  Finish line for XC was next to football practice field.  On days with home meets, our coaches made sure that we (Football team) cheered home the XC runners.  Gave us a break in practice and them I nice boost at the end of the race....

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• Nikedude Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 1, 2008
    29. Jul 24, 2009 9:48 PM (in response to Bugmenot043)

Im an xc runner at my school and the football players and xc runners get along pretty good I think. Most of my best friends are on the football team. mainly because I run track with them in the spring. I really don't see where football players and xc runners hate each other.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...