Skip navigation

3780 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2009 7:07 AM by brettsp
CoachW7 Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2009 12:31 AM

New team problems.

Hi, I'm coach of a new men's team, not doing too bad on the season so far with a record of 3-4. At the weekend scored 96, so it seemed there were no problems with offence.

However, played one of the "weaker" teams midweek, and scored 6 points in the first and 13 in the 2nd. Offense was rushed, no composure, turnovers galore and the team was unrecognisable. On defense, players seemed to be lazy and not bothered by guarding the ball or rebounding. Rotation on defence is also a problem even though many things we work on in training go missing in game time. We have a centre who mops up most rebounds but this means the rest of the team rely on him too much.

Basically, I was shocked by the performance in the first half.....we eventually won the game but every player was upset with the performance.

I have two training sessions before the next game, which is also against the number 1 ranked team in the league.

A few questions, how hard should my next session be and what should the focus be on? Also, after going from nearly 100 points in one game to half that in the next I am worried about offense. My starting guard was injured in the last game but offense was rushed,forced, not relaxed and the first half was just ugly. How can I get the team to share the ball more? They played some good offense second half by giving the ball up to team mates but this didn't happen at all first half.

Finally how do I get a team to step up in 2 training sessions after a demoralising victory?

I would appreciate any comments/help you could offer.

• brettsp Legend 307 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    1. Jan 16, 2009 8:25 AM (in response to CoachW7)
    Re: New team problems.

Well I think first you have to see what is your teams idenity. Are you an athletic group? Do you have a great low post player? For offense you need to incorporate that in your game plan. Knowing your teams idenity is the key to knowing your succes. Second you need the players to believe in you. Defense always wins game no matter how many points you score and eventhough its a cliche it is true. Get them to believe on playing defense and if they make a hustle play or draw a charge commend them bc they will be more likely to do it again. The team does have a losing record right now so focus on them achieving to win together and be part of a winning team that should help bc no one wants to be part of a losing squad. Good luck.

• joliversptv SportsPowerStaff 84 posts since
    Mar 3, 2008
    2. Jan 16, 2009 1:18 PM (in response to brettsp)

Give them the day off.  It does wonders for a team that may not be playing well at a particular point in the season.  Either that or have them come in for practice and let them pick teams and scrimmage for 40 minutes (no coaching, just play) and let them go after that.

Jan 16, 2009
    3. Jan 22, 2009 1:39 PM (in response to joliversptv)

How did it go???

Jan 16, 2009
    5. Jan 23, 2009 8:58 PM (in response to CoachW7)

That sounds like a shame. Yet, you must teach them values they can learn on teh court but most importantly how to translate that off teh court. You can change their lives more than you know but little subtle teachings. Look at the impact many coaches have made of their players lives. If you touch one of them you have done your job.

• Bring back Lil Penny Legend 764 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    7. Jan 25, 2009 11:31 AM (in response to CoachW7)

You are the coach so their playing time depends on you. Sometimes you just gotta lay down the law

Jan 16, 2009
    9. Jan 26, 2009 7:07 AM (in response to CoachW7)

I think you need to put the players out on the court who buy into your system. I agree with your argument abt defense. You need to have them believe in what your doing but alot of that in their mindset comes with winning.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...