Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2009 8:20 AM

Carlsbad Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Carlsbad Marathon below

Back to event details page.

• Triple T Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2008
    1. Jan 26, 2009 8:20 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Carlsbad Marathon Reviews

Great event organization!  The wave start was great!  Perfect weather and the volunteers passing out water were great!

• TammiSchmidt Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    2. Jan 26, 2009 8:32 AM (in response to Guest )

Weather and course were beautiful! Getting out of the parking lot after the race was impossible - took an 1 hour to get out!

• Karen Hardy Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    3. Jan 26, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 1st half marathon and I highly recommend it to first timers as well as repeat half marathoners.  I was extremely impressed with the organization of this event from the parking, to staying on schedule with start times and the abundance of water stations and volunteers!  Good times!  It also helped that we lucked out and had perfect running weather

• Active T Amateur 6 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    4. Jan 26, 2009 8:57 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a great event!  I though it was extremely well organized!  The volunteers were amazing as they cheered on the runners and provided drinks and snacks the entire race. I liked how they did the wave starts and kept a continuous, energetic pace.  I would recommend this event to anyone looking for a fun beautiful course to run!

• ActiveRD Pro 9 posts since
    Mar 24, 2008
    5. Jan 26, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to Guest )

The weather for this event was perfect and the course could not have been better marked.  This was my first half marathon and I would definitely recommend it to any newbies.

• delasol2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    6. Jan 26, 2009 9:58 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 2nd time running this great event, this time I ran with my wife and pushed my 6-year old son in our awesome Bob stroller! The event is very organized, lots of bathroom stations along the route I highly recommend this event. The weather was perfect, I was so grateful to be with my family and seeing a lot of my Active co-workers in the event! - Great Parking Tip for next year - park across the street next to "Smart and Final" & "That Pizza Place" then take a left on El Camino Real 10-15 minutes to the 5.

• LizzieA Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Jan 26, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the first race I participated in, so I was especially impressed how the organizers managed the field of sold out participants.  The wave start was really effective, course volunteers were friendly and cheerful and aid stations were well spaced.  The crowd at the finish line as runners were trying to exit the course was pretty hard to navigate through, especially when I was tired and just wanting to get out of there.  Overall it was a great event for my first race and would definitely register again if I decide I am up for more pain disguised as fun.

• marc v Expert 25 posts since
    May 17, 2007
    8. Jan 26, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I was extremely impressed with this event.  It was well organized, lots of water/sports drink stops, enthusiastic volunteers, live music, perfect weather...you couldn't ask for anything more.

This is my signature and you will like it.

• EmmAyeArrKay Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 9, 2007
    9. Jan 26, 2009 7:26 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 marathon and I had such a great time. The weather was perfect, the course had an amazing view, and the event went flawlessly.  Thanks to all the volunteers who helped make this race go so smoothly.  I had such a great time, I don't even mind that my legs are so sore!  =)  Can't wait to continue and complete the triple crown this year!

Be the change. Make a difference. Tri for a cause.
  • Jabalos Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008
    10. Feb 7, 2009 6:59 PM (in response to Guest )

My first ever 1/2 marathon and running event, it was a great first running event for me that I'm looking forward to running more events and continue to run the Carlsbad Marathon!  The event, although my first one, was run perfect!  I'm surprised with all the people that there were no flaws that I experienced.  Thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, bands, and supporters along the route, I ran further without stopping because I couldn't wait to see what I was going to experience ahead!  For someone that hasn't ran in over 17 years and started training a month in a half before the race, I can truly say I had a great time and has made want to keep on running just like Forrest Gump!   Alo-Her and thanks again!

• jpack51 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2008
    11. Jan 25, 2010 3:05 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the marathon and found the course beautiful, which contributed to a great run. The volunteers and crowd were awesome and helpful. Kudos to the water stations - best I ever experienced. However, there were several drawbacks to this marathon. First, there were no lights at the start, which was completely dangerous as it was pitch black. There was no way to determine what the road looked like or if you were going to step on a bump, etc.  In addition, there were not enough bathroom stations on the marathon course, so I had to wait over three minutes at mile 10 for a free porta-potty - not good!! Also, the second transition to the half marathon really was a downer. I found myself weaving around large groups of walkers. Not only was this annoying, but it was exhausting at mile 23, 24 and 25 to be forced to go around groups of walkers who did not seem to care that it was a timed race for others. Also, the course was not very controlled at this stage and I almost tripped on several dogs who were running the course. Also, the crowd at 22, 23, 24, and 25, while very enthusiastic, started to press into the road and run across the street, which left very little room to navigate an already crowded course. Overall, a beautiful marathon, but could be improved.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...