Skip navigation

5342 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 1:05 PM by Immer treu RSS 1 2 Previous Next
badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
Jan 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2009 7:22 PM

Motivation

....or lack of motivation is more like it.

I am now on training week 5 for Pittsburgh and have yet to be motivated to run.  As many times as I set out all my gear the night before or psych myself up to run after work, I just can't seem to get motivated.  I know Pittsburgh is still a ways off but I feel like I won't be ready - when training for MCM I hardly ever skipped a run and now it seems like I'm NOT running more than I am.  I feel like I'm having such a hard time finding TIME to run - I either have to get up at the crack of dawn (well, out of bed and down to my workout room by 5am since that's when it open) or find time after work and I just seem to be exhausted or working constantly.  I know most of you work long hours, balance family, work, running, hobbies....

....how do you all do it?

I know we've had this thread/topic before but there are some new people and I feel like it would be a great mood booster for me.....but what motivates all of you to get up and find time to run each day?

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 27, 2009 8:02 PM (in response to badgergrl)
    Re: Motivation

Shell - I'm sorry to hear about your motivation problems.  Go easy on yourself.  Maybe your body is telling you that you need some down time.  It is the dead of winter too, which can make training more difficult...physically and mentally.  One thing that always gives me a boost is running with someone.  Is that an option for you?  If you are running on the treadmill all of the time because of weather try treating yourself to some new music.  Hang in there! This will get better!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    2. Jan 28, 2009 4:06 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell my cheddar-head sister,

I just try to keep in mind why I need to get up and train.  Sometimes having a partner helps.  Other times clothes that used to be loose can help too.  Take a couple days off if you need to.  Once you get back in the routine you will be fine.

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Jan 28, 2009 4:32 AM (in response to badgergrl)

This might not be the best time for me to respond because my run last night absolutely sucked.  (Although if misery loves company, maybe that helps you!) 

Sometimes when I hesitate about running I tell myself to screw it and run - before I can think about it anymore and keep on hesitating and thinking about my pillow.  Just do it.

Like Kat said, your body might need a little break - maybe not from running so much, but maybe for sleep, or maybe due to stress.  Stress and lack of sleep will wear you down too.

Refuse, absolutely refuse to give up on your long runs!  Get them in.  Switch days if needed but try to get them in.  You legs need to be used to running for a few hours at a time.

Good luck!  One good run will have you feeling much better about all this!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    4. Jan 28, 2009 4:51 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell, if you're running on the treadmill all the time, therein lies your problem.  Who the he!l can get motivated to run on a treadmill every day??  Try layering up and running outside.  The cold is invigorating once you get past the first half-mile.

Enlist Ike to run in front of you.  That should keep you going!

Or get a couple of days of GOOD rest (you know, so you're not running with a hangover? ) and try again.  Your body/mind may just be exhausted.  Good luck!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Jan 28, 2009 5:56 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell, it happens to all of us.  Sometimes the job, and everything that comes with it can be overwhelming and when that happens the body wants you to take care of it with rest.  Take the rest you need and as soon as you get the slightest urge to run, go out.  Do you feel like going out for a walk?  At a time like this, anything you feel like will do. Hang in there, it will change.  BTW, what motivates me most, is the feeling I get after I'm done, that keeps me running.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Jan 28, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Shell, if you want to see lack of running motivation, I can show you my log from December. It's pitiful. Some of it was travel. Some of it was school stress. A little bit of lazy and a dash or sick, but very little running. I've learned that there are some days my body does not want to run.... it's telling me something. I've been feeling under the weather recently and I've been resting more than I'd like, but it's clearly on my agenda to get back at it. Everyone else has good suggestions. New playlists help. If your treadmill has a TV I find running to sports or action movies makes the running much easier because everyone has all sorts of adrenaline going. Switch things up.... don't run for time or distance, just put on your shoes and run around the neighborhood for as long as you feel like... 20 minutes or an hour. Find a new route. Explore a new trail. Make a running date.... partners hold me accountable like crazy. I wouldn't have done half my runs if it weren't for running buddies. If you need to, cross train. Running hundeds of miles can be mind numbing. Mix it up.... hitting the pool or bike will be good for your fitness and sanity. Oh, and this is huge... do you keep a log? If not, start one today. There is nothing that motivates me like seeing giant gaps in my log. Makes me want to kick my own @ss. Try runningahead.com for a great, free one.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    7. Jan 28, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I had been having the same problem.  Some of it had to do with going back to school and not getting home till 8:30.  So far this week looks like I'm on the right track, I have been able to get up early enough and do my runs before work but I'm tired, really tired.  I just gotta get used to it I guess. Because I take the bus to work I spend alot of time on the road.

4-530 Run

8-5 Work

530-7 school (M-Th)

830-10 eat, homework, family time, and relax...

10-4 sleep

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

Aug 15, 2007
    8. Jan 28, 2009 7:08 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Shell, I think another thing is finding what works best for you in terms of your schedule. I am usually busy in the evenings because I do research and therapy with kids... I can only see them when they're not in school. I could run after my clients at 9 pm but by the time I'm home I am DONE. Some days I have class starting at 9 am and clients until 8 pm. I'll infrequently run in the morning before all of that, but I do try to take a break in the middle of the day to run and/or swim. It mentally breaks up the day, allows me to sleep in and I get to crash when I get home. It's perfect.

My Blog | i2P

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    9. Jan 28, 2009 8:02 AM (in response to badgergrl)

...because it feels so good to stop and it feels that way all day long.

now suck it up and run (or just take a walk).

Happy Running!

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    10. Jan 28, 2009 8:18 AM (in response to badgergrl)

My motivation? Two things:

1. My health. Having the blockage and a stint put in last year gave me a new perspective on making sure I continue to stay active.

2. I paid the entrry fee, damned if I am going to run a race and look like an a$$.

See you in Pittsburgh.

Chris

PS.  Yes, 10 miles on a treadmill can  s&ck, but so does not training at all.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    11. Jan 28, 2009 8:42 AM (in response to badgergrl)

I go through periods like that too. Times when, despite having a goal, the only thing that keeps me running is habit. With your move and change of job, habit may be something you don't have yet. I know that feeling of coming home and being bushed. That's one reason I rarely run after work. Ultimately what keeps me going is I love running, I love challenging myself to get the workout done (though others may find my pace pedestrian), I love being part of this community, I value my health, and I don't want to end up riding a cart around Disney World!  (Even when I'm 90.) So there!

Len

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    12. Jan 28, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to badgergrl)

I haven't run since Saturday. I feel like Re: Motivation about it, but I am just exhausted and hungry when I get home from work. I am too tired in the morning to force myself to get up to run unless it is for a race. I need to run at least a little everyday to keep in form. I know that I will feel it on Sunday when I run my next marathon. But that's not even enough motivation.

It seems that the best time for me to run is around lunch. I may have to start taking the time at lunch to do it.

Do you think changing your schedule might help?

One of the things that keeps me going is that when I do run, whether it be on a treadmill for 30 minutes or outside for however long I want to run, I never, ever regret going out for a run. I always, every single time, feel better after the run. I never have a bad run. I may feel tired. I may run slowly, but it is always worthwhile. I don't understand the term "junk miles". For me, they are all good.

After my runs

1. I have a sense of accomplishment.

2. I feel more lucid, my mind is clearer.

3. My body always feels better.

I only regret when I don't go for a run because that opportunity is lost.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Jan 28, 2009 9:08 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Hi Shell...

I just finished my first run of 36 minutes on the road back.  With 11 minutes to go, I wanted to die.  AND I wanted to quit.  I told myself that the only way I could come back upstairs and give you some encouragement was if I continued to run for the next 11 minutes and complete my 36 minute goal.  Done.

GO SHELL!!!  Some days running is easier than others.  There are no easy answers.  I think that's probably why we're all runners.  We're not the kind of people to look for the easy way out.  I would offer to run with you, but not until I get faster and some more endurance.  Thank you for getting me through the last 11 minutes.  :- )

Aug 15, 2007

Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... wrote:

Hi Shell...

I just finished my first run of 36 minutes on the road back.  With 11 minutes to go, I wanted to die.  AND I wanted to quit.  I told myself that the only way I could come back upstairs and give you some encouragement was if I continued to run for the next 11 minutes and complete my 36 minute goal.  Done.

YAY Lauren! A completed run and motivation for someone else. Sounds like success on all fronts!

My Blog | i2P

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...