Skip navigation

5235 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 1:05 PM by Immer treu RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 28, 2009 9:28 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Motivation

Well... you could always ask your fat neighbor with the pack of marlboros why they don't run and see if you agree.

Go baby-steps.  How many miles do you need this week?  When is your next race?  Plan accordingly.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    16. Jan 28, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

Or ask the guy in my Comm class, he easily weighs at least 400lbs or more.  Last night he was snoring in class!!  You couldn't really tell he was asleep because his head sits on his body, and what I mean is that you can't really tell where his shoulders are, it's just this roundness and then his head in the middle.   It's actually kinda sad.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• stewilli Pro 87 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    17. Jan 28, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to badgergrl)

All great suggestions so far.  For me paying for a race keeps me very motivated.  I can't stand the thought of wasting money.  Are there and short local races coming up?  Also someone mentioned that feeling of accomplishment when you are done.  One way that helps remind me about that, without running, is to watch something that inspires me.  Perhaps renting "Without Limits" and taking a night to rest help.

• DoubleEye Legend 645 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    18. Jan 28, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to badgergrl)

I can personally attest that Shell is one of the hardest working friends I know. She's often working from the time she gets up until her eyes start to shut at night. She's very good at her job and she helps many of her clients, that I can see why she works so many hours.

Therefore I think working so much, and the cold winter weather, is a combo that makes it difficult to find the energy or time to run.

My advice would be the following:

1) Need new shoes? Getting new gear not only can help you run faster and more comfortably, but also be an inspiration in general to get out there and put it to work!

2) Update your weekday run schedule to one that fits your life better, but also one that is set in stone. For example, since you are an early riser, make it so that you run on the treadmill from 5:30am-6:15am every Tuesday and Thursday no matter what your work schedule is looking like. Make it top priority.

3) Always do your long runs outside, snow or sunshine, fast or slow. Just getting outside and getting the miles in is critical. Make it an adventure by trying new routes, trying new energy foods, etc.

I have found that it's very easy to get off of the schedule...and when this happens, your mind starts to tell you that this is easier, it's no problem to skip another run, etc. But when you start to get back into a regular schedule, whatever it might be, your body will thank you and your mind will too since you'll feel so much better.

There's still plenty of time before Shamrock and tons of time before Pittsburgh. You already have a great foundation from MCM'08, so no worries this time around. Just try for a PR, even if it's by a second, and you'll be surprised how successful you can be.

PS. Since we hang out, I feel somewhat responsible to make sure you stick to your schedule. Maybe we should come up with an incentive program? Like every time you complete your long run, I'll cook you dinner the next day! Now whether that's actually a reward or a punishment is still to be decided... 

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    21. Jan 29, 2009 4:13 PM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell, I will YAY you again here! 

Through a thread you started a while ago, I have started to use running ahead for the first time this month.  Being a type A person, I love to look at the Calendar with all my workouts (including bike and elliptical) on it.  Sometimes just the thought of an empty calendar square gets me in the gym.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008

Bump ............Hey, Ruby!  Hang in there.  History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme...........

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...