Skip navigation

6827 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2011 7:03 AM by spyderjackets RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2007 11:35 PM

Best Ski/Snowboard Mountains in the US...

Snowbird ski resort is situated in Little Cottonwood Canyon in Utah and it is definitely my favorite spot I've been too.  It has lots of great and unique trails, it is more of a local place so not too crowded, and the powder is perfect. I really enjoyed the mountains in Utah in general, but Snowbird is my favorite.

What mountains do you like?

• mvalenti Community Moderator 84 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007
    1. Nov 20, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Best Ski/Snowboard Mountains in the US...

Vail! After living there for several years I know just where the secret powder stashes are and there is enough terrain for all levels. Now, if it would only snow!

• Vicki S. Legend 262 posts since
    Aug 31, 2007
    3. Mar 24, 2008 10:21 PM (in response to saraallent)

I learned how to ski last January. It was the Mt. Rose slopes between Lake Tahoe and Reno.  It is a little mom and pop place  not a big resort , but the palce just sticks on you. The crowds were not all that big and was really peaceful.

• Keep Running Pro 75 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    4. Mar 24, 2008 11:56 PM (in response to Vicki S.)

Telluride, Colorado by far one of the best places I have skiied.  I've been all over Utah and all over Colorado, haven't really tried Jackson Hole or Whistler yet but best place so far is Telluride.  I think it's far enough away from a lot of MAJOR cities so people have to "make trips" out there as opposed to driving up for the day but even saying that, I know when the parking lot is packed the slop is not because it is so huge.  The terrain is steep and fast which is what I like to ski.  The grades are harder I think too.  A green at Telluride would be like a blue on the Front Range, Colorado mountains.  Wide open runs and not an excessive amount of stupid SLOW SIGNS!!  Maybe it's just because I have such a good attitude about Telluride too but it seems like people who go there know how to ski/board better and know how to keep a line and not ski across the whole run doing the "pie" getting in everyone elses way. 

• RJ A Expert 15 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    6. Mar 25, 2008 12:25 PM (in response to saraallent)

I have skied a lot of places espcially living in Colorado for five years. In Colorado I like Vail because I skied it so much, Winterpark because it was off the beaten path a bit and Steamboat because of it's charm and what always seemed to be good snow whenever I went. Southern Colorado is nice as well, more hype then substance however in my opinion. I really liked the Lake Tahoe resorts that I have skied as well. I have never been to Utah but I need to see Alta (No Snowboards) & Snowbird. And I have heard fab things about Whistler in Canada.

But bar none my favorite ski area in the US is Jackson Hole Wyoming. I love steep difficult terrain and Jackson Hole has it and then some. It also has had great snow everytime I have been there. If I had to pick just one place to ski it would be Jackson Hole. Simply an awsome ski area.

• Edward E. Meyer Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008
    7. Feb 5, 2009 12:01 PM (in response to saraallent)

You can call me bias being that I'm an East Coast skiier (NY, NY) and have only had the opportunity to venture west, but my vote is for The Canyons!

I went to Utah in March '07!  The conditions were epic!  Our flight landed at Salt Lake at 12AM in the middle of a winter storm!  Schools were already closed for the next day.  We hit our hotel, then hit up Park City for a day and spent 2 days at the Canyons.  Needless to say, it snowed each day (I forget how much accumulated), but never had I experienced such open trials than at the Canyons.  The morning was spent swaying through fresh powder and hearing the bombs in the backgrounds of the avalanche patrol (another feature not included in the East Coast)!

By the afternoons the sun was shining as my buddy and I caught video footage of each other (him riding, me gliding).  The glades were perfect for this time because we had captured the highlights of the bowls by this point and wanted to tap into other resources.

I want to venture west again, but it probably won't occur until 2010 (new Macbook purchase +upcoming Lasik procedure in 09).  I do want to hit up Snowbird and C-rado as well as BC for future ventures.  Maybe I'll have a new answer to this post by then haha

• spyderjackets Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 6, 2011
    8. Sep 6, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to saraallent)

which jacket you will wear when ski in those best mountains.

I wear spyder jackets,this brand give me max protect keep cold away.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...