Skip navigation

3158 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2009 4:06 PM by Cuneiform RSS
robb81314 Amateur 25 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2006 6:48 AM

Goggle Issues

I am a triathlon focussed swimmer without any formal training. I am concerned about the strong impression that my goggles leave in the soft tissues around my eyes after long periods in the pool. After a 45 minute swim, I will have noticeable marks for several hours and maybe bags under my eyes the next morning. I wonder if I might be doing long term damage to these tissues and if I am wearing the goggles wrong. The goggles have to be fairly tight to keep the water out, so it doesn't seem that there any options about how to wear them. I am 49 years old, so the skin isn't as supple as it used to be. Thanks

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 29, 2006 8:42 AM (in response to robb81314)
    Re: Goggle Issues

For training, wear the goggles as loose as possible without having them leak.  For races, you may want to tighten them more in case of wave action, fists in the face, etc.  I am no doctor, but your problem is quite common, and I don't think it's a big deal.

• HodsonSa Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. May 2, 2006 3:09 PM (in response to robb81314)

Different faces need different goggles to maintain that "loose enough to not leak" I love socket rockets, but they don't work for other people.

• Doris J48 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 3, 2006 9:01 AM (in response to robb81314)

I don't think you will be doing any damage.

I became allergic to one of my pairs of goggles, I ended up with the sunburnt panda look for a couple of days.

I find its trial and error finding the best googles.  What works for one person may not work for another.

I personally find Zoggs or Speedo work best for me.

• sfwliymgirl09 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 21, 2006 7:29 AM (in response to robb81314)

when im searching for goggles, i find that rubber leak gaurds work the best, for the longest time, i had the same problem. maybe you should try the womens speedo vanquisher?!

• RandyMolson Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 24, 2006 2:32 PM (in response to robb81314)

I recommend the Barracuda foam goggle. They are expensive (around $35) but worth it, and the package says they were developed especially for distance swimmers. Besides a leak-proof seal, they are comfortable and leave no imprints on your face. My last pair lasted over 10-years. They are available in different lense shapes that fit faces differently, so you should try on the different shapes at the store for the best fit.

One warning though.  I can only use the white foam versions. The black foam gives me severe eyelid dermatitis, and there is a medical paper abstract on teh interweb that says the same thing.

• RandyMolson Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jun 24, 2006 2:35 PM (in response to robb81314)

I swim an hour per day, by the way.

• Cuneiform Amateur 27 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    7. Feb 11, 2009 4:06 PM (in response to RandyMolson)

You might try out swedes (or Swedish racing goggles). I swear by them.

They fit right into your eye-socket and  do not need to be tight. There

is no rubber seal.

The good thing about these is that they are very very inexpensive

($4.00) . I have tried $40 baracuda's speedo's... you name it. They all

leaked... or hurt my eyes.. but the swedes never let me down. I swim

60min 4-5 times a week.

If you try them... I recommend using dental floss rather than the string they sell

with them for the nose piece. Run it through a few times. The string

stretches out and causes the goggles to leak after awhile. Floss holds.

They are not for everyone, but at $4.00 it may be worth trying out. They have them online and at swim meets.  I have never seen them in chain sports stores. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...