Skip navigation

8282 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2009 4:32 AM by tburgraff RSS
ManintheArena Community Moderator 109 posts since
Jul 3, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2009 10:48 AM

Listening to Music While Swimming

After watching Natalie Coughlin swim with headphones on while filming her new swimming tips videos she was using H2O Audio's new Interval system I was seriously intrigued. I used to make mix CDs so I could listen to them and get those songs stuck in my head before practice. On a post on the Swimming boards (What do you think about when swimming?) I admitted the James Bond them was one of those songs.

But after watching Natalie, I started thinking about how I would align music to my workouts. I think during 100 intervals it'd have to be something with a fast tempo or strong beat, like "Sandstorm" by Darude, "Dashboard" by Modest Mouse or "Shipping Up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphy's.

For a long set I'd put on the "Gladiator Waltz" from the Gladiator soundtrack. At 8:25, it builds into a strong finish that's perfect for negative splitting a set.

My cool down song? "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey!

So what would you listen to?

• Gregg Fogel Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2008
    1. Feb 18, 2009 10:12 AM (in response to ManintheArena)
    Re: Listening to Music While Swimming

Jesse:

I am a recent Tri newbie and started training in the pool on a very consistant basis.  Understand I never swam competitively in school but was an athlete.  I quickley learned how difficult the cardio aspect of distance swimming can affect my workouts and searched for an edge.  Music has given me the ability to let my breathing become less labored and I swam nearly 2 miles the first time I incorporated into my routine.  Maybe not too impressive sounding except I have only been swimming for 4 months.  I used to think 100 meters was long distance :-)...  I listen to a large number of artists and have not taken the time to create the perfect sequence but your comments have helped me realize there is a next step for my routine.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I would totally recommend music and the  H2O audio system....

• silvercannonca Rookie 5 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Feb 23, 2009 6:32 AM (in response to Gregg Fogel)

I second Gregg's thoughts.  As a new swimmer, I get too caught up in all the aspects of the stroke and don't swim fluidly.  getting the H2O systems really helps me just swim  and not over think it - and I too can suddenly swim for an hour without stop -- and that's two months into learning how to do the crawl. HIGHLY recommend the system

• tburgraff Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    3. Feb 24, 2009 4:32 AM (in response to ManintheArena)

I do Van Halen, Queen, ACDC with sound tracks like from the wedding singer.  I love surfing I tunes and finding fast tempo new music.  Just dont plan on doing your tri swim with the h2o, you should train without them at least part of the time.  I have had mine knocked out and pulled out only to slow me down debating if its worth stopping to put them back in and get ran over a few more times or just let them hang which is really annoying.  I have my shuffle attached next to my bike computer and wrap on headphones that fit nicely beneath my helmet ready to go for the rest of the race.  Just make sure to check race rules, some will dq you for wearing any such device and its something they leave in the small print.  If you need to listen to something stay back for the start of the swim or listen to yourself, think about writing an autobiography start with naming the chapters and then let your mind dig for some info to fill them up. You will be amazed at what you will remember all while swimming.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...