Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4921 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2009 1:27 PM by Krista Edwards
Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2009 8:57 AM

trouble scheduling a 'practice' half IM

doing a flat iron distance in sept and my plan calls for a practice half in early august and of course there aren't any my options are

A) DIY - do it yourself half w/ training partners

B) a hilly oddball distance race 1 mile swim, 40 mile bike, 8 mile run right on the date my schedule calls for

C) a 93 mile fundraiser ride then do a long run by myself

what would you do?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Mike_R Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    1. Feb 16, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to Joe_h1)
    Re: trouble scheduling a 'practice' half IM

I've never done a an iron man so I'm not the expert, but I do believe in training and experience. I do sprint triathlons and ran my first half marathon this weekend, and if it wasn't for the training, I'd never be able to push this now 230 lb. 57 year old body of mine to complete these events.

I would say it's about your goals. If the goal is the experience of running an Iron Man and finishing is most important, get some training buddies that will offer you the challenge you need to keep going. And do everything consecutively to simulate an iron man as best you can. But the other part is the experience you can only get by  running in an event like this and it's more than the distance. You don't know what you don't know and no amount of active.com bulletin boards, magazine articles, or training races can really duplicate an event like an iron man. Just as the sprint triathlon is different than the marathon, there must be differences between the sprint triathlons and the longer distances. So if there's any way you can get to one of the four half marathons between July 26 and August 15, do it. FYI, according to Active.com the five are in Chisago, MN and Defiance, OH (July 26; Manson, IA (Aug 1); Morgantown, WV (Aug 9), and Provo, UT (Aug 15).

• emly211 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2008
    2. Feb 17, 2009 6:35 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

I say the best answer is ...

DIY - do it yourself half w/ training partners

By doing this you will best be able to replicate the workout your training asks for.  At least for me I know how important training schedules are , as far as staying on "course" and directing my training.  The other choicesare great options, but maybe not the best for your goas.

Enjoy the ride.. it's always over sooner than you think! 

• Mike Mullins Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    3. Feb 17, 2009 7:55 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

I did IMWI in 2006.  I was supposed to do a half IM as a tuneup that July but it got canceled about 8 days out.  That left me scrambling, but I compensated by putting together my own half.  I swam at the local pool, biked a 56 mile loop, and ran a couple 6.5 mile loops from my house.   I treated it just like I would a race -- wore my race clothes, used my race wheels and helmet, set up my nutrition on my front porch as a T-area, etc.  

It worked out very well and I recommend you do the same.  Your IM race is already costing you a ton of money, don't spend any more just to do a race that doesn't fit your needs. 

Best of luck,

mm

• Krista Edwards Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    4. Feb 17, 2009 11:38 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

I think in order to answer this question, you need to ask yourself, mentally, what are you most anxious about? The DIY half may be a good option if you are just worried about putting everything together and transitioning.  But are you pretty comfortable already with transitions? Do you feel comfortable with your swimming abilities? Are you already comfortable with the half iron distances?  Perhaps the hardest part of the iron man to get your head around is doing such a great distance on the bike combined with a long run. The fundraiser ride should have SAG volunteers, which makes a long ride much more enjoyable and much more race like.  also, the difference between 93 miles and 56 will also be more race specific, as far as the demands placed on the aerobic system.  I would take the buddies you were going to "triathlon" with to the long ride and run 10-15 miles after.  take caution that you don't push too hard on the run however, as the metabolic demands of a workout of this magnitued are pretty great, and you want to be able to recover fairly quickly.  I think this route will give you a bigger mental boost than the half, as the distances are more similar to the race.

• Krista Edwards Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    6. Feb 17, 2009 1:27 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

I kind of wondered if that was the case   I was fine with the swim and run, but the bike distance terrified me!!  if you have friends that were willing to just grind out a five + hour training session anyways, then you can probably rope them into doing the long brick with you as well.  Make sure you wear the clothes you will be wearing that day, even if you look a little silly with the roadies...:)  also, with the longer distance, you should get a better idea of what your stomach can and cannot handle, to a better degree than you would on the half.  Don't know about you, but I can get by with just a few GU packs in the half.  that's not gonna cut it in the full. Also, don't waste this session.... make notes as soon as you are done as to what did and did not work for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points