Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

33644 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
Robin J. Expert 53 posts since
Sep 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2009 11:17 AM

Nervous About My First 5K!

Hello Fellow Runners!

I signed up for my first 5K on March 15. Now that it is about 3 weeks away, I'm feeling very nervous. I don't know if I can do it. I just turned 50, and have been running for just a few months. I have tried to increase my distance each week, but I currently only run about 2.5 miles. My training plan has gotten screwed up because of the weather and also I got the flu so had to miss a week of running. It was almost like starting over when I got back out there!

I know I could at least finish using a walk/run combination, but I really wanted to run the whole thing. Any suggestions on how to relax about this? I'm afraid I need encouragement or I might not do it.

Thanks!

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Feb 19, 2009 12:28 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

Robin,

Congrates on running your first race! Second, relax!!!!!!!! to get yourself all worked up about this isnt doing you any good. Doing something that your suppose to enjoy shouldn't be this stressfull, your way to hard on yourself.

Running during a race is not really running a race unless you plan on winning, for most its just a way to gauge the progress on your training you have made from one race to another it's only you against you, not against anyone else. Like i said unless you plan on winning the race, just go out and have fun, its not like they will take your birthday away if you dont finish under a time.

Its your first one Smile, be happy and enjoy yourself, your working yourself up for no reason there suppose to be fun, but then again

Its easier said then done about relaxing on your first one I understand this, but yourve trained for it, you signed up for it, and you CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Just finish the first one and then worry about all this other stuff later.

Goodluck but you DONT need it!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• jilly44822 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2008
    2. Feb 19, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to Robin J.)

2 words....DO IT! 

I know exactly what you are feeling.  I turned 48 this week...started running July 7, 2008....ran my first 5K in September....3 other 5K's and a 4 miler since then and have a Duathlon and 2 more 5ks already on the calendar for 2009!  I have been visiting here and learning since day one of my new running life but I believe this is my first post....shows how strongly I feel about encouraging you to GO FOR IT!  You won't be the fastest, you won't be the slowest, you won't be the oldest, biggest, skinniest, tallest, shortest etc, etc, etc.  You'll just be you...doing something that will give you a HIGH for days! 

I, like you, knew that walking was an option in the races but didn't want to...so I didn't.  Just watch your pace, slow a little if you need to, speed up when you can.  Listen to your body.

There are TONS of people on here with MUCH more running experience and knowledge than I have...just wanted to give you a high five and atta girl.  Good luck!

Edit - I stand corrected...this is my 2nd post!   :0 :0

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    4. Feb 19, 2009 4:35 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

You'll be able to do it no problem!  If you realy want to run the whole thing and you think you can't do it, slow down your pace.  My pace can be slowed to a near crawl just so I can say I never stopped running.  I swear when I think I'm done I can still run a 14  min mile and other people walk that fast but in my book I never quit!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Feb 19, 2009 7:01 PM (in response to Urbster)

You have more than three weeks to train before the race, right?  You are at 2.5 miles now.  You can do it!

Here is the very LEAST you need to do to be able to run the whole thing.   Do five or six 2.5 mile runs between now and then.  Get comfortable with the distance.  Don't worry about going for 3.1.  Just run that 2.5 miles twice a week with shorter distances and/or cross training on other days.  If you can become very comfortable with that distance - and I mean that you aren't pushing it to the limit to run 2.5 miles - then you will be able to run 3.1 miles on race day.  I'm not saying you'll necessarily place in your division, but if your goal is to run the whole thing you should be able to do it.  You can always run a bit farther (and faster) in a race than you do in training. 

If you are already very comfortable with 2.5 miles then you can increase your potential by lengthening that distance over the next couple of weeks.   You only have about 1/2 mile to add to the distance you are doing now.  Go ahead and pick a 3 mile route and plan to go the whole distance several times before the race.  The first couple of times, give yourself short walk breaks as necessary but go the WHOLE 3 MILES.   Once you have done the distance then aim to gradually decrease and eliminate the walk breaks.  Going the whole 3 miles several times before the race will give you confidence that you can easily finish the race.

Good luck.

• neonshaw Expert 53 posts since
    Jun 8, 2008
    8. Feb 19, 2009 7:27 PM (in response to Robin J.)

think of the really hard things you have done during your life, the big challenges, you thought you could not do at first -  things like graduating from school; giving a speech or presentation in front of alot of people you didnt know; having a baby; taking on a special project at work - and think of the tremendous feeling of accomplishment you had once you met that challenge/goal. 

that is the feeling you will have when you finish that 5K, and that is one of the greatest benefits of running  - you challenge yourself - you look fear in the eye - and you meet and exceed that challenge - and it is very addictive

hold a sock out in front of you and think of that as your current comfort zone.  now stretch that sock really hard and release it, and notice how it doesnt go back to its original shape - i.e. you have stretched your comfort zone - that is what running does to you - it makes you get outside your comfort zone, you build your self confidence -  and move to the next level

yea the first 5K can be a little scary , but you will finish it - and just like the sock you stretched - you will never go back to the old comfort zone - you will have achieved a new plateau and a new measure of self confidence - and you will be so proud you wont be able to talk about anything else for days -  and you will set a new challenge or goal for yourself - and you will start to believe you can accomplish anything

• loverun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 18, 2009
    9. Feb 19, 2009 8:19 PM (in response to Robin J.)

I just signed up for my first 5k and I am very nervous too!  Just be proud of yourself for doing it!!  I just REALLY REALLY want to finish by running!  Good luck!

• lisapoet Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    10. Feb 19, 2009 10:49 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Run your own race. I'm 49 and I train and race running intervals... run 6 minutes then walk 1 minute. I may never "win," but I always finish.

p.s. I've only run for a year. Welcome to a fun addiction.

• Candy57 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    11. Feb 20, 2009 1:06 PM (in response to Robin J.)

I have my first 5k tomorrow!  I too am nervous!  We can do it! I will definitely keep that Dory song (from Nemo) in my head too.. just keep running! =)  Good luck!

• TChard Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 20, 2009
    12. Feb 20, 2009 2:20 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

Congratulations on setting a goal to run your first 5K!  The great thing about running, particularly in races is that it is more of an "event"  filled with supportive people cheering you on, including other runners.  When you are out there on the course, just remember why you set this goal in the first place and know that you can do it!! 

Good Luck!

• pearl8872 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 3, 2007
    14. Feb 20, 2009 3:15 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin i am slowly approaching 56 and started running about 4 years now. I am not a fast runner but i truly enjoy the sport. You will do fine, when race day comes around and you will be able to relax because everyone is in a good mood. The first race I just wanted to finish and everyone is fully of energy at the finish ,cheering you on. this just made it all worth it. Now I just try to beat my time from the previous year. I did finally get third in a race, i was so excited.

Your will be fine....and good luck....

Joyce

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...