Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1065 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2005 7:35 AM by runrgrl1 RSS
runrgrl1 Pro 225 posts since
May 16, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 9:09 PM

Fuel belt or Camelbak?

At the risk of repeating a beaten and dead horse topic, any opinions on what's more comfortable for long runs? I currently use the Siren, a smallish backpack style Camelbak, but I've heard that the Fuel Belt with all the little bottles is also a nice way to go.
What do you people use and like?

[http://This message has been edited by runrgrl1 (edited Oct-07-2005).|http://This message has been edited by runrgrl1 (edited Oct-07-2005).]

• MikeJL Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 7, 2003
    1. Oct 7, 2005 10:56 PM (in response to runrgrl1)
    Re: Fuel belt or Camelbak?

I use a four bottle Fuel Belt. A useful feature is that you can mix and match bottle sizes (7oz and 10oz) depending on the length of the run. Also, having multiple bottles means being able to have two with an electrolyte replacement, one with plain water, and one with pre-mixed gel/water (or whatever suits your needs).

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    2. Oct 8, 2005 6:29 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

I recently went from a 4 bottle to a 6 bottle fuel belt. On shorter runs I do not use all the bottles. I can mix and match water and gatorade as well.  I now have a hard time running without one, you get used to it.

• wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
    Oct 8, 2003
    3. Oct 17, 2005 1:36 PM (in response to runrgrl1)

I used my fuel belt for the first time this weekend. I ran 16 with the 6 bottle one. I loved it, hardly moves at all!

• Mikey the Pig Rookie 46 posts since
    Aug 7, 2005
    5. Oct 18, 2005 8:33 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

I use a camelback - similar to yours - functionally it is fine.  The nice thing about a fuel belt is you could have 2 with water and 2 with gatorade.  In a camel back you usually go all water or a gatorade water mixture - yuck.  (Substitute your sports drink for gatorade.)

Why do I keep using the camelback? I am use to it. I also like the zip pocket in it for toilet paper and money / cell phone. I also believe it provides better insulation for those very cold days (Hose insulator).

More people use fuel belts these days - I would guess there is a reason why.

• kmhilliard Rookie 13 posts since
    Feb 11, 2005
    7. Oct 20, 2005 9:23 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

quote:

Originally posted by runrgrl1:

I imagine in the winter, though, I'll have to go back to the Camelbak because those little water bottles would freeze up in a heartbeat!

Make sure you try one out before you buy it.  I thought it would be perfect for me but I have a short torso and my arms kept whacking the bottles.  Drove me nuts and I never wore it again - bought a camelback instead.

• lbonney Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Oct 20, 2005 9:28 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

quote:

I imagine in the winter, though, I'll have to go back to the Camelbak because those little water bottles would freeze up in a heartbeat!

Thye won't freeze due to the sloshing around. Unless you ditch them in a snowbank for a couple of hours.

• topdown Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Oct 20, 2005 9:58 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

quote:

Sorry to disagree with the above poster, but they will freeze. What I found worked last winter is to put the belt on UNDER my jacket. No more freezing problems.

----

topdown[/URL" target="_blank">

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    10. Oct 21, 2005 6:33 AM (in response to runrgrl1)

Nothing I did last winter prevented them from freezing up. It was just too darn cold. If you are running 3-4 hours in freezing or below freezing, they will freeze, we would even put warm liquid in them to start with. I am looking into a camelback for the winter. Don't they make some with 2 bladders?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...