Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34239 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 10 Previous Next
  • Support Our Marines, Inc Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 26, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 20, 2009 7:04 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

Robin,  I am by no means a prodigous runner but, one thing I learned training for my first triathlon (which I started doing about 6 weeks before the event and couldn't even run a mile when I started training) is that  the key to finishing your 5K is PACING.  I do my races carrying over 20% including combat boots in an effort to honor our heroes deployed for war so my pace is pretty slow.   I often see people shooting past me only to see them walking up ahead .. to see them shooting by me and so on.

On my last race .. er even .. a 10K, I saw a woman doing that for a few miles and finally suggested that she just pace with me as I was doing a slow 11.25 minute mile pace .. when we crossed the finish line, she told me she was amazed how easy it felt and that was the first time she had ever been able to complete that much of a 10K running ..

Just a little advice as passed along from my tri coach.    I have no doubt that you will be able to do it, if you pace correctly Good luck

Dianne

• mmherrera Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 20, 2009
    16. Feb 20, 2009 9:09 PM (in response to pearl8872)

I just ran my first 5K on January 30th and like you, I was a bit nervous as this was my first race. I actually surprised myself and did much better than I even anticipated. I finished 6th in my age group. I am 35 and I am doing my first 8k next week.  The races are so inspiring. There are people from all walks of life and they are all there to either support a cause or for the fitness of it and it is a wonderful feeling just to be a part of it.  You will do fine if you just do your best !!! Best of luck!

• byron1970 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    17. Feb 21, 2009 9:09 AM (in response to Robin J.)

I just ran my first 5k in over 13 years. At first I was nervous and felt alone, so I just stood in the back since I had no clue as to how fast I can run a mile. It was a bit intimidating but as soon as I got started the fear went away. I ran past a lot of people which surprised me. But there was even a young girl in front of me with an inhailer. This was no ordinary race it was a come one come all. I was so into the race that when I crossed the line at 33:33 I was just glad I finished it:^0. But I forgot to get my chip before the race so when they clipped them off I had none. I just looked at the volunteer and said "I'm here to get in shape not to compete."  and ran along with my kids on their run and enjoyed the rest of the day. Now I have 3 more 5k's to do so far.;)  Everyone goes through it just signing up is the hard part. Best of luck!B-)

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    18. Feb 22, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin

LMAO, just keep swimming, just keep running!!!  That is so funny I LOVE it!!  I know on my next long run I will be singing that.  

I'll probably do a St Pat's race too, yet another time you (and Dori) are sure to pop in my head.   Keep up the awesome job.

Carole 

• veryberry1 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 29, 2008
    19. Feb 23, 2009 4:35 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Hi Robin,

I started running last August, and I ran my first 5K in October.  I was extremely nervous.  I drove my husband nuts that morning.:^0   If you're already running 2.5, I'm pretty certain that you can do the whole 3.1.  The adrenaline alone might push you that last  half mile.

My best advice is don't try to keep up with the pack when the race starts.  I've participated in four races, and in every single race, a lot of people start out too fast.  I say this because the people who pass me at the beginning are usually the ones that I pass at the end.  In my last race, a lot of people started walking at 1.5 miles, and I was comfortably passing them (and secretly loving it!).  I sprinted the end of the race.  So, ignore the people around you who start out trying to run 5-minute miles and run the pace that you normally run.

My goal for my first 5K was just to finish it without walking, and I did.  Considering that I couldn't run a full mile without walking just two months before that, I was pretty happy.

May 27, 2008
    22. Feb 23, 2009 11:07 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

If you did 2.5 in 29 it's time to bump up the mileage.   Don't be scared  :-o    You can do it , and you may even be suprised how easy it is. 

Carole

May 27, 2008
    24. Feb 23, 2009 6:32 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Yes I do think you should increase the distance, what do the rest of you think,... anyone? 

That good feeling will stay with you as long as you allow it.  It's a wonderful feeling,  when you keep improving and getting better but keep in mind eventually there will be off days too.   Days where you can't figure out what went wrong.  Nothing is wrong, that's just the nature of running.  So don't get too discouraged when things don't go just right, keep at it, don't quit, remember good days alway follow the bad days sooner or later and that great feeling comes right back.   Keep plugging away.  I love your enthusaism!

• Barry King Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    25. Feb 23, 2009 7:43 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

I have never been a runner and was talked into doing the Disney 5K last year. I was very nervous also. But when you get out there, watching all the other people, you just keep going and concentrate on passing some, watching them, and watch where you are going. I actually went faster during the 5K then I ever ran during training. It was a very high motivational boost. I loved it. You will do fine and eat a high Carb meal the night before the run. Relax and have fun.

• Teachermeg Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    27. Feb 24, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to pearl8872)

My first 5K is this weekend. I have been able to run it on the treadmill, but I have a hard time getting out on the road to run. I'm sure you can do it and I know there are lots of other newbies out there with you. I'm hoping I don't faint in front of my students who come out to see me! haha

• RunningBob Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    28. Feb 25, 2009 10:23 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Hello Robin,

Like everyone has said, congrats on your entering. I am also 50 and started running last year, did my first 5k on new years day 08. I had also smoked for the previous 30 years and I am just glad I am able to get out there. Just run at your own pace,  even if it is run /walk, all that matters is to finish in the vertical position! I went on to run 17 races last year. I am not fast at all and basically compete against myself. Relax, Have fun and just do it!

1 2 3 4 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...