Skip navigation

11573 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2009 12:39 PM by Healthymommy1 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • sslavin Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 4, 2008 8:34 AM (in response to elishabelle)
    Re: sports bras...any good suggestions?

I wear an uncommon size (32 D or DD) and have need of high impact support as I'm a runner.  The Fiona style running bra from Moving Comfort is great.

While it will never be confused for sexy lingerie, it's decent looking (for a high impact sports bra) and does a great job of preventing/controlling bounce. 

Very comfortable, no chafing. I never put mine in the dryer.  I've had several for the last year and they haven't stretched out at all.

My best advice to all women athletes (at any level) is to get fitted at Nordstrom or somewhere good so that you're wearing the correct size bra. 

Then, don't settle for the wrong size in a sports bra.  The s,m,l versions are only adequate for low impact or the smaller chested among us.   

• kgdc Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 16, 2008
    16. Sep 22, 2008 10:13 AM (in response to sslavin)

I learned a lot about sports bras from my local running store. They know their stuff and have real sports bras, not sports tops available for all sizes especially for me (34D to 36D). I love my Fiona and new updated Maia bra by Moving Comfort. They are so supportive and comfortable. Most pull over the head type bras haven't worked for me. Bendon Sport has a bra I used to wear until I discovered the new Maia bra. They are all about supporting active women.

• gmavmcl Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    17. Oct 5, 2008 10:23 AM (in response to elishabelle)

I have tried numerous bras, being a size 34D is extremely hard to find good support.  I love the Fiona with the adjustable straps.  I also had my two daughters try it and they love it as well.  I do not put any bra or stretchable material in the drier.   Good luck. 

• jensterling Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 18, 2008
    18. Oct 18, 2008 6:46 PM (in response to elishabelle)

I have a problem too with sports bras.  I finished breast feeding and turned into a D yes a D and it won't go away. So I play tennis 3 times a week and am also looking for a good supportive sports bra that fits snug.

I am playying cardio-tennis 2 times a week and this is crucial since it is mostly running ,

Help...

Jenn

and my baby cate is so cool since she will play too eventually:) .

• Theresa57 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    19. Feb 21, 2009 4:40 PM (in response to TallAngel11)

Hi there, I'm new to this site, have been reading about the sports bras, I've tried a couple and after a few washings they seem really tight. I line dry them, is there a website for the Enell that you mentioned. Thanks, Theresa

• Sonja Dozois Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 1, 2008
    20. Feb 26, 2009 8:31 PM (in response to elishabelle)

Check out handfulinc.com. The Handful Sports Bra "flatters not flattens". It is the only bra that I wear for workouts and under everyday clothes. It is feminine, super comfortable and and very functional. It provides the support that I need without flattening or squishing me. So many sports bras make me women look like boys or like they have mono-boob. The Handful has removable pads that conceal and contour. It is the bomb. I highly recommend this bra for anyone who doesn't want to buy a bra for every event or occasion in their life. It is my one and only. You can buy them online or they are available through retailers, websites and catalogs too.

• briteeyess2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2008
    21. Mar 6, 2009 7:04 PM (in response to elishabelle)

Hey girl.....

Saw your post on here from awhile back and thought I would add my suggestion.  I always went to the running stores, but yeah, they always stretch out too quick.

I went to Victoria Secret and bought a Shockabsorber.  They aren't available at every store, so you have to look around, but when you find one it will last for awhile.

Good luck,

Tammy

• bridgeview1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    22. Apr 9, 2009 8:08 AM (in response to elishabelle)

I love UnderArmour even though it gives you uni-boob.it certainly does keep you from bouncing   they seem to last forever! even with lots of washer and dryer time

• firekicker Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 1, 2008
    23. Apr 14, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to elishabelle)

Figured this is a 'timeless' topic so I would add in my 2cents...   I am 32DD  (down from DDD finally) - I get my sports bras almost exclusively from Title 9.  They have several different brands and a good range of sizes - with the 1-5 barbell ratings for impact level.  I love the 'thriple threat' - though it will test your flexibility a bit to get in/out of.  I have also liked their 'AC' bra, which I think is a Champion.   Have been really happy with their customer service as well - if you try it on and don't like it, they're easy to work with on refunds/exchanges.

I had a Moving Comfort (not sure what style) and it chafed a LOT. and wasn't adjustable enough to stop the bounce.  I may look into a couple of the other suggestions given too... 

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    24. Apr 29, 2009 6:03 AM (in response to elishabelle)

My daughter was having a problem with her sports bras stretching out too. After discussing it with her, I found that:

1. She was wearing them two or three times between washings (yuck).

2. She was drying them in the dryer (probably on high heat... she's not very patient).

After she started washing them after every wearing and stopped drying them in the dryer (as a couple of other people mentioned), the bras lasted a lot longer. This may not be your problem, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case...

By the way, I have several Moving Comfort Fiona bras. They're great!!! Some of them are over a year old and are still in good shape!

• Displacedbrit Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jun 4, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to elishabelle)

HI

My recommendations: as previously mentioned, buy your bra size not Sm, Md, Lg. Champion is by far the best I've found for support and durability. I line dry mine.I always buy a bra that fastens at the back instead of a pull on type as I saw the same thing, it stretchs out. I would highly recommend Champion Double dry distance underwire sports bra. Style # CH6209 for C & D cups and they come in a 32, which is hard to find. Gives you good shape as well no bounce. The website has a great seach engine.

Once or twice a year they have a big sale and the bras are usually $20-$25. Sign up for email newsletters. I have tried moving comfort, some Nike and continue to come back to Champion. They are also available in most sports stores too.

Hope that helps!

• JenniferParks Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2009
    26. Oct 11, 2009 11:49 PM (in response to Displacedbrit)

Hi,

I have recently stumbled upon a new a sports bra made by Breeze Comfort.  They claim to have a patent that enhances breathability.  So, I gave it a try.  I was quite skeptical at first.  I am a C-D cup and natually need the support.  I don't really like the very tight fit with the strap digging into my skin to provide the extra support.  Typically I find having a cup inside along with good materials helps with the support.  But usually it gets way too hot.  To my surprise, this bra is quite comfortable.  It was able to give me the support I need while keeping my breast area dry and cool.  This allowed me to work out even harder.

Jennifer

• Healthymommy1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 17, 2009
    27. Oct 17, 2009 12:39 PM (in response to gmavmcl)

I am the same size - where did you find the Fiona?  Where can I buy one?

Running is my ME time!

Proud member of Internet Ceo Moms

http://www.internetceomoms.com/healthymommy

Read my article about being a stay at home mom

http://www.examiner.com/x-26395-Charlotte-StayatHome-Moms-Examiner

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...