Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21818 Views 195 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 5:29 PM by Imgellin Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Feb 25, 2009 1:41 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Same name, it's my real name so not much imagination, but without the extra "n", which was how I spelt it here before I got shut out somehow when the changeover took place.

Perhaps I should add that I have not yet run a marathon, but have done several 10k and half marathons, which may be distances for which I am better suited. I plan to train for Toronto half this October using a marathon plan as a "dry run" to see if I can handle the full distance next year. I did a 20 miler last summer, but found it tough sledding for the last couple of miles, perhaps I can overcome this by training-everything is hard if you haven't done it before. I have got just far enough to realise how little i really know about running, not sure what my potential may be.

I know Fred follows university track and field pretty closely, my son goes to York in Toronto, where I think they sometimes host the masters track meets. I work just down the road a few blocks, so would like to spectate if there are any events this summer. Perhaps there is a website with scheduling info?

Thanks, Simon.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    181. Feb 25, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to SimonnR)

I have a son at Waterloo and a daughter at Western.  She runs but is not competing this year.

Here's a link to the OTFA website.  http://www.otfa.ca/content/home.asp

Here's one to York U.  http://www.sport.yorku.ca/interuniversity_sport/teams/track_field/index.asp

Right leg is starting to come around again.  I walked for 25 min on the TM yesterday.  I also tweaked the right hammy while stretching, but it's fine today.  Each day gets me a feeling a little bit better.

For those who love cold weather...it was -30C here this morning.  Supposed to warm up and rain by Saturday.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    182. Feb 25, 2009 6:33 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Hi all,

To KS1, good job to you on that workout, and KS2, for supporting him.

I've been busy these last few days and taking in the conversation here. I've never puked when I ran a race though I've fallen once (spectacularly) in the Oakland half-marathon, and felt like I was going to pass out at the end of the Russian River half-marathon (my PR in 25-29 age group). I have a fierce competitive streak when it comes to running. I hated to be passed at the 6 mile point in the Russian River run. I was in first place in my age group at that point and knew it. There was only one female runner ahead of me, and I watched the eventual winner in my age group pass me--I held on, though, in those last miles, to come in second. No one else was going to pass me if I could help it. I went out too fast in that race, and that was a lesson to be more patient. What I love most about running is running itself, and I just wanted always to run with, as they say, no finish line. Racing is the creme, but it's running daily, seeing what I can see, going faster than I thought, or slower, or longer, that's important to me. I'm definitely a right-brained runner. Whatever happens happens, however it goes, there it is.

After the 12 miles Sunday, Monday was an extremely slow 3 miles. Yesterday I ran with my group of work friends, all under 30, for 6 miles along the coast at dusk. I felt great. Running with a few other people helps to pick up the pace. It was just over an hour with some 9:00-9:15 miles. It was an easy pace, and I felt like I could have run much faster in the final miles. Today I ran with my dog, Cody, for three miles at 31:00 minutes. This weekend we're going out to the desert again, so I'll see more dirt road running. Perhaps I'll go 10 tomorrow--then I'll have 35. If I run a few in the desert, it will be gravy then.

Paul, it's been a long time but I think that when I first began to run I slowed down in the winter. I grew up in California's cental valley and it gets cold and foggy there in December and January (even moreso when I was a girl). I remember running faster because of it sometimes, just to try to get warmed up. But in a colder climate, I think you do hunker down more when you run.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    183. Feb 26, 2009 5:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra wrote: "*I have a fierce competitive streak "    - *I love that!   One of the younger girls we train with is just like that.  She ran a tune up 1/2 marathon locally in prep for her first marathon (Houston).   Goal was to run strong and get a feel for marathon pace.  But on the way back she kept noticing women in front of her and she couldn't stand it.  Reeled in most of them before she ran out of time.

6.5 ez miles this morning.  Already 70 ° wind, and humid, 

DW leaves in the morning to drive to Ft. Worth to run the cowtown marathon Saturday.  Goal is 4:12-4:15 which will be a 10-12 min. pr.  Trying to get her ready to run a 4:05 in Portland in the fall so she can go to Boston next year.  Pretty amazing as she was never any type of athlete until about 10 years ago.

Good runs to ya.

Dec 31, 2008
    185. Feb 26, 2009 6:09 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Tigger, glad you're feeling better. Fred, take care with the sore knee.

I thought I had mellowed out some when I raced again in 2007 at the Love Run (10K) in Camarillo, CA. Since I hadn't trained for a race, I thought I'd just run it easy. But, fat chance of that. Once the race started, it all all came back to me. That racing fever It's funny but if there are men around me that are running a similar speed, I'll race them. But generally, it's the women that I'm conscious of.

Today was 7 miles, and that was about all I could do comfortably. When I started, I thought I'd run 5, so glad I felt like going farther. It was on the track and road. I felt the residual from the 12 miles last Sunday and the consecutive days running without a break. The two slow 3 mile days helped, though, this week. Tomorrow, maybe I'll run 3 miles before we leave for the camping trip. Then, I'll take Saturday off (maybe). We'll see.

Aug 14, 2007
    186. Feb 27, 2009 6:38 AM (in response to fred-urie)

10 miles this morning in the hills and wind.  Tomorrow schedule calls for 17 and the wind is suppose to gust to 50 mph.  This week is a cut back week of 15 miles so will have about 73 miles.   Now have to go paint bedroom while wife is on the way to FT. Worth to run cowtown.  I'd rather run a marathon (or any distance for that matter) than paint.

Have you puked yet Fred?

later

Dec 31, 2008
    187. Feb 27, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Good luck on the 17 KS-50 mph winds would be very tough to run inand the painting job. Since you're running fewer miles this week, it sounds like the job landed in a good week to do it.

No run for me this morningI woke up late, and then repacked my stuff for the camping trip. We're going to the same general area as the other trip to keep our dog out of cactus-that part of the desert (Inyokern--near the town of Ridgecrest) has no cactus. It has a lot of creosote and sagebrush. This time I'm bringing garlic olive oil for pasta, fresh tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. And, two good bottles of a Merlo/blend. I guess I'll have to run a few miles tomorrow to justify the pasta

Have a good weekend everyone.

Also, wecome Simon.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    188. Feb 27, 2009 12:45 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I know Simon from RA.  Welcome here Simon.

Really enjoying Sierra's posts, as I do Euphoric's too.  Both of you are fine athletes and have a great attitude toward fitness and racing.

This is a planned cutback week for me, but unlike KS who had a mileage target, I had determined to run as I felt like, when I felt like it.  Work was very tough this week and I missed two days, breaking my streak of consecutive days from Jan. 8th.  Nothing like fred or KS however.  So instead of 40 miles this week it will be about 28.  I ran 5 today, 3 slow, 2 easy.  Feeling good.

One key thing about mental toughness is that you have to pick your spots when to be mentally tough.  You cannot kill through every workout or you'll get hurt.

Fred, I was in that same Falmouth race as Alberto Salazar.  He hit the finish when I was at about the 5 mile mark!

Good news on Tigger's recovery.

KS, my wife has also developed as a runner.  She is in the 50-54 AG and will run the White Rock spring half-marathon in 2 weeks.  Her previous best at this distance was 2:16, but she is doing much better now.  I am running it with her to pace her and expect her to be under 2:10 with ease.  Your wife is doing very well and I wish her a great race tomorrow.   Spareribs

• Imgellin Legend 515 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    189. Feb 27, 2009 2:01 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I ran 9.3 miles today. 50 degree weather did not hurt. About a 30 mph wind. My hip flexors were typically tight, and I am not sure what to do about that. I might have to double my reps of hip-stretching exercises. I am running the Quonset Point Ten Miler on sunday, and it is supposed to be cold and very wet. Hey, as long as i do not have to run in scuba tanks and flippers and weight belt, then all the rain is just like water off a duck's back.

Oh, I tried gel for the first time today. I had heard you are supposed to take it with water, so I took it at the beginning of my run. i don't know what I expected, but it seems I had a good amount of energy during the run. It was Karb-Boom Apple Cinnamon.

Lauren, it'd be nice if you could find some wild herbs on your trip to put in that super pasta!

Paul

Dec 14, 2007
    191. Feb 28, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul, I hope you won't mind if I offer my opinion here, but you will be much better off if you avoid using Gu's and gels and sports beans and the like for short runs.  And especially don't use them before you run.  The basic idea of these supplements is that they give you an infusion of sugar at a point in a distance run where you are depleted.  When you begin to run there is already sugar in the muscles and in the blood, and as this is used to sustain the exercise, your liver will break down stored glycogen ot continue to supply you.  At slow paces of course you are also burning fat.

You can run for a couple of hours or more on stored glycogen, which means you needn't rely on candy etc to obtain more.  Daws uses this analogy.  If you and i decide to race our cars over a one mile course and I have a full tank of gas and you have half a tank, who will win?  The answer is that the amount of gas in the tanks is irrelevant, since neither of us is going to run out of gas.

Even worse is to ingest this stuff before you run.  When you give yourself an injection of sugar before beginning an exercise, the pancreas will secrete insulin to lower, or restore blood sugar levels.  Why would you want that to happen at the start of your exercise?  Best is to leave that stuff alone until you get into very long distance runs.

5 miles for me today, giving me just 27 for the week.  Next week it's back to normal.

Rooting for KS' wife today.  Temps are perfect in Ft. Worth for her marathon, but unfortunately the wind is brutal today.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    192. Feb 28, 2009 12:08 PM (in response to fred-urie)

What Ribs said.  We never ran with gu's or gels etc in the "old" days.   I might take a gu maybe even two in a marathon if I'm bonking.   Never in any race shorter.   I don't even stop for water or gatorade in anything under 10 miles unless the heat is just brutal.  Ribs - go over to KR and tell MS about this.  She bonked big time today and started on gels before the run.

17 miles today in a 7:48 pace.  Winds didn't reach 50 but did hit over 30 mph about 2 miles into the run.  Wanted to run faster today as a test (cut back week) but am satisfied considering.

DW ran a 4:39 at Cowtown.  16 mins off her last pr in Oct. but it was the hilliest race she's ever run.  Plus as Ribs noted the winds were brutal.  Plus 2 unplanned pottie breaks which is unusual for her.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    193. Feb 28, 2009 4:36 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Sounds like DW did pretty well, all things considered.  I hope she feels good about her race, even if she had potty breaks.  I only had one race where I potty breaked.  It was mile 4 of a HM when I went rumbly in my tumbly.  By mile 5 I had to pull over for a pit stop that took 02:12, and put me over 2 hrs chip time.  It took me 4 years to finally break 2 hrs.

Today was a new beginning.  Sweetums is recovering from a week long flu, and I am recovering from my leg issues.  But we decided to use up a piece of the day by skiing.  It was only 4k and a bit, and in almost 45 min, but it was a start. 

Dec 14, 2007
    194. Mar 1, 2009 9:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Don't post here.  I started a new thread for March.   Spareribs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...