Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19108 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2009 3:21 PM by Imgellin RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2009 9:35 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing-March 09

12 miles at the lake for my wife and me.  Each week it gets easier.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2009 12:21 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing-March 09

Thanks for the new thread Ribs.  Looks like you and the saint started the month off well.  Congrats on that.

6.25 miles on the fast side of easy today.  This week is a high mileage week for me so had to run today to get all the miles.

Run strong, stay safe.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Mar 1, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Fred, I had nothing to do with this.  How do you like the new shoes?

I couldn't resist a couple of miles in the snow this morning and then taught 2 hours of pool running this afternoon. 

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 1, 2009 1:14 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Your progress has been astounding Mr Ribs, thanks to that brand spanking new washing machine motor!!

Back on the ski trails today for an hour and forty.  It snowed a bit last night and the trails were not yet groomed so they were very slow.  We have done the same route in 90 min easily, but not today.

It's good to be able to work out again.  Hopefully this streak of back to back days will continue for a while.

Aug 14, 2007
    4. Mar 2, 2009 6:16 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Morning all.  Tigger glad your feeling a bit better.  Ribs running well too.

5.75 ez this morning and hopefully another 4 or so tonight.   Last big mileage week for me before Boston.  Hope to get about 85 but will depend on work schedule.  Have a 22 miler planned for Saturday and all my training partners are involved in a 200 mile relay so I'm going to have to do it on my own. 

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    6. Mar 2, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Euphy, the new Kayanos are great. I'm already running faster.

Sunday - 6 miles easy @ 18F

Monday - indoor 200 track

5 minute warmup, 15 minutes @ steady state, 15 minutes fairly hard, 25 minutes warmdown

Basketball 2.5 hours, walk 30 minutes

Dec 17, 2007
    7. Mar 2, 2009 9:37 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Back in the 70's-80's we would a 20 miler 7 seven days before a marathon, then 3 days high protein/fat, followed by

3 days of high carb. The taper would start on Wednesday or Thursday.

If I was running a hard 12 mile progression run last fall  I would take a gel at 3 to 4 miles in.

Aug 14, 2007
    8. Mar 2, 2009 10:02 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey Ribs.   Don't think I'm tapering.   This week schedule calls for 85 miles with long run of 22.  Next two weeks are 76 miles with an 18 and 20 respectively. Then 66 miles with a 17 miler and then a 49 mile week and then a 30 mile week plus marathon.   Last week was a cutback week of 73 miles and two previous weeks were 86 and 87 miles.

Aug 14, 2007
    9. Mar 2, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Included in the above mileage are mid week long runs 12-14 miles on hills.  And at least one "speed" type workout per week.   Ribs, Fred, and others; I welcome your feedback as I'm going everything possible to go under 3 at Boston.    Don't tell me just run Boston and enjoy it.  I can do both   

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    10. Mar 3, 2009 5:59 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Paul, congratulations on your 10 mile race the other day (your last post on the February thread). Sounds like that was a good run.

I agree with everyone about the gels, and am glad you posted about that, Spareribs. I've always only had water on runs and then I usually plan my run so I stop at a water source if I'm running long and it's warm. I don't carry a bottle with me. If you drink up before you run, that's usually just fine. Runners don't need the extra sugar and calories in the gels when your body supplies what you need. It seems to be a new fad, much like the energy drinks you see. Just extra calories--they're like drinking shots of sugared caffeine ("energy" drinks), that's all.

We camped in a very isolated spot in the desert--there were no people around for several miles at least. We were on public lands near the edge of China Lake Naval Weapons Station at a tiny dry lake at the terminus of a rarely-used and difficult at times to follow track and could see the radio towers on two hillsides several miles away in opposite directions. Still, it felt like the ends of the earth, which was fine by me.

I would have liked to have found good herbs in that area for that pasta, Paul, but there was mostly scrubby creosote, and quite a few flowers in bloom. We had a our dog along and we took him for a four mile or so walk on Saturday and looked for signs of historic Native American presence in the area (my husband is an amateur-expert in archeology). Since I had 32 miles by Thursday, and was tired, I felt the need to rest. Sunday was also a three mile walk in the desert with our dog. The roads were too rough for running and I spent a lot of time in a chair reading or looking at clouds. This week is a reduced mileage week for me--only the third one I've taken in three months. I think I need it. Unfortunately, I'm traveling Sunday, so it will be a fairly low mileage next week too. Today was three miles on the dirt track, slow.

Aug 14, 2007
    12. Mar 3, 2009 6:45 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I seem to race better if I train thru my races rather than a full taper.  I will cut my miles back a bit towards the end in hopes of sharpening a little.  Today 10.5 miles avg pace 7:30.   All between 7:50 to 7:17

Dec 17, 2007
    13. Mar 3, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, the problem at Boston is probably the downhills, so 6:50 to 6:55 miles on downhills in training would

benefit your racing.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=7190

"Know the course. That’s the first step toward a successful run in Boston. While Bill Rodgers eventually moved to Boston and trained on the Newton hills four or more times per week, he hadn’t begun doing so in 1973, when he was confident in his ability but naive to the demands of the course. A naturally aggressive downhill runner, Rodgers pushed too hard in the early going and paid the price. Though Heartbreak steals most of the headlines, you only need to fear it if you’ve mismanaged the preceding miles. Heartbreak didn’t knock Rodgers out in 1973; it merely dealt the final blow following several rounds of steady pounding from the early downhills and the heat. “If runners can run a real moderate first half, they will loooove that last half,” Rodgers says today. “The hills are not tough hills unless you play with fire and let the first half of the course seduce you.” Though it doesn’t have a catchy name like its colleague in the 20th mile, the hill that you’ll be standing on at the start is actually the largest you’ll face. For the first kilometer, you’ll descend at a rate of between five and eight percent. “Everything is just geared toward having you run this race fast, fast, fast,” says Dr. David Martin, co-author of <span style="font-style: italic">Better Training for Distance Runners</span>. But be warned: “The seconds per mile that you run too fast at the beginning turn out to be minutes per mile as you run too slow at the end.”

Dec 17, 2007
    14. Mar 3, 2009 8:07 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Tuesday

AM 80 minutes easy, 10 with Mary, 55 with Alan.

1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...