Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1834 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 12, 2009 6:22 AM by MotiveForcer
moneyguy Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2009 8:29 PM

Help! Looking for a Hybrid Bike ...

A few months ago, I found a website to build a Fixed Gear Hybrid Bicycle. The website was fantastic (you chose the size of the frame, headset, handlebars, wheels, brake types, etc.) and at the end you had a picture of what your bike was going to look like.

Trouble is ....I can't remember the brand name of the bike. My hard drive crashed and I lost all the information as well. I believe the builder was somewhere in the NE United States, but that is all I remember ... and I'm not even sure about that.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If not, can you recommend a brand? I'd like to use the bike to commute to work (about 10 Miles) and casual rides. Hybrids looked like a good compromise and fixed gear would keep the cost down as well as maintenance.

Thanks ahead for anyone's help ...especially with my sketchy memory!

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 12, 2009 6:22 AM (in response to moneyguy)
    Re: Help! Looking for a Hybrid Bike ...

MONEYGUY!

Is it flat where you live? If you've got big hills go with gears. If not a single gear bike is fine. I'd suggest making sure that the bike is able to coast and not perform as a track bike or a Spinning bike in the gym.  There are several on the market from various manufacturers or a local bike geek can get you going.

You could also consider fitness type bikes.  They usually have straight handlebars and while not as racy as a road bike, can be used nicely as a commuter.  Hybrids usually have suspension forks which add weight and do incur some maintainance but not much. If the roads are smooth I'd go with a rigid fork. You will feel quicker and will be.

EJ

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points