Skip navigation

3171 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2009 1:47 PM by High Performance Fitness RSS
SriSri Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2009 12:50 PM

Been excercising for the past 3 and half years but my weight never reduced

I am 5' 9" 172 lbs male. I have been excercising ( run for 30 mins at a comfortable 6.5-7.5 speed on thread mill, and also do light resistance excercises) but could never see myself reducing my weight. I could only see that I feel more active and feel good. But apart from that still see my belly growing up. I am really worried, cannot afford to have a trainer. Appreciate any plans for reducing weight. I forgot to mention that I am asian and basically a vegetarian but eats chicken atleast once in a week. Thats it.

• GladGad Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

A few things to consider:

1. Your nutrition. Although you are a vegetarian, take a good look at what you're eating.  Potato chips are vegetarian, but will pack the pounds on you.  I'm not saying you're eating potato chips, but look at food labels to see how many calories are in the food.  Also, if you're doing a lot of prepared or packaged foods (instant potatos, frozen meals, etc.), those are generally higher in calories versus fresh versions of the same foods.

2. Your body is used to your workout so it's not burning calories as effectively.  You can kick your body into burning fat and calories by changing up the workout.  Try cycling or swimming.  Lift weights or rollerblade.  Anything other than running.

3.  Do the math.  You might be taking in and burning just enough calories to maintain your weight.  Remember that 1 pound is 3500 calories.  So if you want to lose 1 pound a week you need to either exercise more, eat less, or do a combination of the two that adds up to 3500 calories.

If doing all of the above still does not work, then talk to your doctor.  You might have a medical issue such as low thyroid, which can easily be treated with medication.

Good Luck!

• High Performance Fitness Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008

Nutrition is key, but it is not always the only answer.  There are many things that may affect your metabolism.  Sleep, stress, and lack of water are great examples.  Protein may be contributing to your problem.  Ensuring that you are a well rounded healthy individual will put you on the right path to success.    Eat balanced meals often along with healthy snacks, drink lots of water, get lots of rest.  Your cardio seems to be challenging enough but the more intense you can train, the more calories you will burn, so change up your routine and try to add intensity little by little.  The body is an efficient machine and will adapt quickly.  Resistance training may be another way to increase your metabolism.  More lean tissue means more calories burned doing the same work.  Take some time to learn some good routines, or seek out some help.  A good strength program can almost guarantee results... at least in the abdominal area.  With resistance, you may not always lose weight, but you can definately tighten up the waist line a little.  Before you begin any exercise program you should consult your doctor, and let the doc know whats going on.  The doctor may have better insight to what your challenges are and how to address them, or at least give you the go ahead for a full on exercise and nutrition program.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points