Skip navigation

25235 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2011 1:13 PM by Karrie K Smith RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • clarizic Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 20, 2009 8:08 AM (in response to chavez333)
    Re: acl injury.anyone been there?

Hi there, i am 35 years old and play in a recreational league and a competitive leage....i tore my ACL and Medial Meniscus on June 6, 2008....did treatment on the injury for 3 months straight, twice a week....September i stopped my treatment, met with an orthopedic surgeon, did my MRI in October and surgery Dec. 1, 2008...i am now just over 3 months into my rehab, my goal is to be back playing in june for my outdoor season...I miss it sooooo much...by the time i get back to playing it will be exactly a year.....IT SUCKS....it's a long process but one thing i can say, with the rehab program i am on, i will be fitter then i've ever been, and my legs will be stronger then they've ever been.  I go to rehab three times a week, 3 hours each time i am there, and i feel AWESOME....pain, yes, still there, weakness, yes still there, but i think i;m doing pretty **** good for three months!!!  All i can say is if you are determined to get better, and if you are consistent with your rehab program and work hard, you will get better, and you will be stronger and fitter then ever before....i know it's frusterating...there are days that i say, i just can't take it anymore, this really SUCKS!!!  But on those days, i just think about my teams, the tournaments i've played in, the wonderful rush i feel when i get onto that field and believe that SOON i will be back to playing the sport that i LOVE....my passion.... Good luck to all you out there recovering from reconstructive ACL surgery!!! CHEERS!

• MarkHall33 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    16. Mar 24, 2009 2:42 AM (in response to chavez333)

I had a similiar accident before about 3years backs. I had to lay off footie for nearly 3 months.One piece of advice though, if you are not feeling 100%, don't push it. When I had mine, I thought I felt better and went back to play for about 10 minutes, I felt the pain again and that set back probably caused me to take longer to completely heal. Take your time, I bet you will be back to your best again in no time. Patience is key....

Mark Hall

London, England 

My favorite  price search site

My favorite sports site

• soccermomII Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    17. Mar 25, 2009 1:39 PM (in response to nuudragonsrock)

My daughter was 15 when she tore hers it was a nightmare first she was misdiagnosed and then the second doctor wanted to wait for the growth plates to set.  Big mistake.  She played for 1 whole year with the kneebrace but she was only 50% and in a lot of pain.  Finally decided to look for a third opinion.  This new doctor (young and he's specialty is ACL pediatric recostruction) he told us that it is possible to do the surgery around the growth plates.  We did it and my daugfhter is now on her 4th month after surgery and counting the days when she'll be able to get back.  She is already running (light jog) but she is happy she is finally touching the ball, for that same reason she doesnt want to loose her foot skills,  so even when she is sitting down watching TV shell have the ball between her feet.  Your son is young so my opinion is you should get it over with now before he starts getting serious about college.  Good luck and keep me posted.

SoccermomII

• IamNotMyEgo Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    18. Sep 21, 2009 2:57 PM (in response to chavez333)

Unfortunately yes, I have been there. All of the negativity an discouragement is only usual. Like you, I was also a soccer player but I was just out of high school when i tore my acl and Meniscus. The problem with that injury is that it takes so freaking long to heal! So as months go by and your still feeling weak let me tell you that it's only normal. The stupid therapy sessions that seem to never end, the constant reminder that your injured due to the extreme halt in your soccer career. It's all very discouraging. Let me give you some advise and some things I wish  I would of done differently.

Although the Physical therapy sucks and its probably a half hour drive everytime. Stick with it! I ended up giving up on mine after 3-4months into it. I just couldn't take it anymore(or so I thought) and it eventually caught up with me. My recovery took much longer and I'm still not and never will be 100%. It led me to becoming a couch potato and I regret my desicion even 2-3 years later. Hang in there! You still got half your varsity career left and you'll shine the most your Junior an Senior years anyways. The annoyance is much better then the regret. Trust me.

Never play sports again? Sounds familiar. Well let me just tell you right now, if you want to play sports again you will, unless you let the injury get to you mentally. I've finally picked my butt up and started playing again and it feels good, but I waited too long and lost the edge I used to have. Don't wait! get back in there a soon as your therapist says your ready to go! Go to an empty field and get your shot back and practice you touch. You'll be surprised on how much of your skills you DIDN"T lose. It took me a solid 2 years to get back on the field and even then I still had a good shot or two in me.

The guy or girl who goes into a 50/50 ball the weakest will always come out with an injury if there is one. So if you let your injury get to your head and you start playing conservatively you WILL get hurt . If you go in playing and have the same aggression and hunger as you did before you'll be fine. Keep in mind this injury is sort of like a freak accident for soccer players.Your knee had to be planted at the perfect time, and it had to be knocked in such a way that would provoke this injury. You became a statistic not by choice, but by luck of the draw. lightning never strikes in the same place twice, Unless your holding a ten foot steal poll. Go in there with the same heart you left the game with, and prove not only to your older teammates but to yourself that a bad dealt hand wont keep you from playing the next round. Your best High school soccer years are to come, so buckle up and do what you have to do. It will be as satisfying when your done as your first Varsity start.

• soccer717 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    19. Mar 26, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to chavez333)

My 11 year old son tore his ACL last Sept. He had surgery that didn't touch the growth plates. He is back practicing again 5 months later with a brace. The biggest factors he is dealing with now are conditioning/fitness. He was basically inactive for 5 months and now he is lagging behind his team in fitness. He was a very fit kid before. The fastest in his school. I'm planning to work with him this summer doing some running, etc. so hopefully he will be back in much better condition come fall. He is young, but I fear he will tear it again and basically be finished with soccer. I just want him to be able to do whatever he wants as a young boy and not be handicapped by this. I guess we just need to let him play. The doctor cleared him to play, but the fear is still there. He was playing up on an older competitive team. It is just a very sinking feeling as a parent to have a kid who is very athletic and competitive, and then to have them injured in such a way that may take away a big part of things they enjoy doing.

Baby steps I guess. One day at a time.

• Karrie K Smith Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    20. Jul 10, 2011 1:13 PM (in response to chavez333)

like many here on the replies, I have torn my ACL.Both of them, 4 years apart. Played at SClara '81-'85 and had 2 major injuries ACL right after. Posts about "you'll be playing before you know it" are dead on. But be patient and work hard.

Funny thing is: 20 years later, it's not my kness that are goin out, it's my ankles from the 100 times I had turned my ankles, sprained, swollen , taped up and went back out-and not cared enough to the future to rehab them correctly. Now, I  am a mom of 4, had to quit playing, that killed me, but I have taken up biking and treading water, since my cartiledge is completely toast. I'm having stem cell procedures done (take bone marrow out of hips and reinjected into ankles to try to rejuvenate the cartiledge thats left...). The moral to my post here is: do your rehab. Do it like you play. Do it, complete it, and even tho it may take a bit longer to get back, you won't be a poster-child like me that touts "do your rehab".

My other reason for posting: anyone transfered their love of competition to a sport completely different to the one you left? Any words of wisdom?

I'm struggling with how to manage my love of one sport, being UNABLE play it, and also unable to live normally because of the pain, and trying to find my way into biking...

Thoughts?

karrie

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...