Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14176 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2009 5:03 PM by Runner Chick'en RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • b-e-b Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 8, 2009 12:06 PM (in response to Max-1)
    Re: running the morning

interesting to see the variety of habits... we are all different and it's important to find out what works for you.  I run without eating, but if I'm planning to go more than seven miles, I take a gu at about five miles and every three-five miles after that.  And of course water in small amounts periodically.  So I also plan my routes to go past a public restroom at least a couple times during the run.

but for race day:  banana and triscuit crackers 1-2 hours before run time.  Since I can't sleep anyway, there is always time.  Plus of course I pack gu for the run.  I've done four half marathons and am currently training for my first full marathon at the age of 48.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    16. Mar 8, 2009 12:23 PM (in response to Max-1)

As a rule I never ate before I ran, I'd just get up and go,  come back home and chow down.  I can get away with that for 4 to 6 mile runs but once I started doing 10 miles I was wondering why I was getting light headed.  Duh!!!    So I say depends on how long your out there.

• EricVpool Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    17. Mar 9, 2009 11:11 AM (in response to auj)

I have the benefit of being able to wait until 10am for my runs so I eat a normal breakfast and let it sit for a couple hours.  However, for some cruel reason, races usually start around 7:30 or 8 so I just wake up drink some water, eat a bannana, and the 20 minutes it takes to stretch is enough time to let that settle.  Then you can eat a normal breakfast when you get back.  I have read that for best recovery: drink fluids immediately after work out, then stretch for 15-20 minutes, and eat your meal 30-45 minutes after that.

• elze Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 7, 2009
    18. Mar 11, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to auj)

Good for you Eric  thanks for sharing your experience and advise!! I think the gu and water is great along the trail....I may do a Marathon if I have qualifying time ever and with my brother's aid as he is an avid marathon runner.  I am extremely resilient and cross train and swim instructor so it doesn't take much to get me on the trail.. I don't like hot weather running so really don't do it much at all. That's when i head for the water...sports..   good luck w your running!!

Oct 5, 2007
    19. Mar 14, 2009 2:43 AM (in response to elze)

something else I thought of...

since I've been doing long runs (10-18 miles) on Saturday mornings, I've noticed that the quantity eaten the day before makes a difference.  So I make a point of eaten larger meals (healthy of course) on Friday.  One of the many benefits of running!

• Max-1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    20. Mar 14, 2009 10:38 AM (in response to elze)

What is a gu.

Max

Max
    Oct 5, 2007
    21. Mar 20, 2009 2:14 PM (in response to Max-1)

gu is actually a brand name... it's a high-carbohydrate gel substance (100 calories) that you ingest during endurance activities.  Lots of flavors available, with and without caffeine.  There are other brands out there, as well as chew varieties and liquids.  For me, I need something or I completely run out of energy after 90 minutes or so.

• Runner Chick'en Pro 145 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    22. Mar 20, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to auj)

I find that if I eat a piece of whole wheat toast before a run, that is usually enough.  For longer runs I take something with me.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...