Skip navigation

2039 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2009 3:58 PM by JacqJackJohn RSS
kenr7485 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2004 5:12 PM

Sugar

I am border line diabetic and try and avoid sugar. All the sports drinks seem to be very high in sugar content. Is their one that has little or no sugar? I am a biker and ride for 5 to 6 hours in the Texas heat. I drink only water because of the sugar and all the sport drinks make me belch the flavor yuck.

Ken

• seebohar Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 18, 2004 8:56 PM (in response to kenr7485)
    Re: Sugar

Great question Ken!  While it is important to monitor carbohydrate intake, it is not necessary to completely void your training regimen of sports drinks.  The following excerpt is from an article found at the GSSI website (http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/554/Gatorade__diabetes.cfm?pid=38):

+Regular physical activity is a critical part of diabetes control and an important part of a healthy lifestyle for everyone. Type 1 and type 2 diabetic persons can obtain the enjoyment and benefits of unrestricted physical activity provided they use good judgment in preparing for and engaging in exercise.

Always carry a source of fast-acting glucose (e.g., a sports drink);

Always exercise with a friend who knows you have special considerations;

Always carry identification that indicates that you have diabetes and includes your doctor?s phone number;

Always carry enough money to make phone call;

Carry a mobile phone if possible;

As fitness improves, gradually increase the intensity and duration of exercise and adjust insulin dose and carbohydrate intake accordingly.+

Bob

• JacqJackJohn Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 22, 2009
    2. Mar 21, 2009 3:58 PM (in response to seebohar)
    Re: Sugar

I am in a similar situation, I can have NO sugar whatsoever unless balanced out by at least double the grams of protein. I usually try to eat my regular high protein diet, and while upping my work outs I get the water with electolytes! It helps a ton! No sugar but still has the minerals, Smartwater is my favorite right now.

I also try to maintain a steady intake of complex carbs and starches, but are there any gels that contain a BALANCED amount of carbs and protein? I would really love to know, I am still learning how to manage the balance during longer runs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...