Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

492 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2005 8:47 AM by wndctyrnr
wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
Oct 8, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2005 10:40 PM

Half Marathon

Can anyone recommend a good half marathon training program?

In the past I have used half marathons as a training run but recently have started to take them a bit more serious. My best time is a 136 and would like to get it down to a 133. I currently run 25-30 miles a week with a speed workout occasionally.

Thanks!

• leon2 Rookie 315 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 20, 2007 9:24 PM (in response to wndctyrnr)
    Re: Half Marathon

Yes. Back in February I did a topic specifically about the half marathon. In the first post there are several links to half marathon programs for different levels, as well as John Kellogg's training advice. See:

half marathon[/URL" target="_blank">

Depending on how long of a program you want, the first link is a 24-week schedule. There's another one that is 12 weeks. They're both from Running Times.  Although the 24-week schedule is called a 'basic' program, I think it's one of the most challenging half M programs I've seen. And since you say you're currently at 25-30mpw it's one you might want to consider. It starts out at 30mpw and gradually builds up from there.

There's also a training article on doing tempo runs, examples of elite runners who have used half marathons as training (i.e. Mizuki Noguchi), and more.

Good luck.

----

"Running well is a matter of having the patience to persevere when you are tired and not expecting instant results. The only secret is that it is consistent, often monotonous, boring, hard work. And it's tiring." - Robert de Castella

[http://This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Nov-08-2005).|http://This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Nov-08-2005).]

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...