Skip navigation

4702 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2009 2:09 PM by MikeDaMarine08 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 11, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to FLKaren)
    Re: It's Saturday...get up and RUN!

Hey all,

Sucked it up and got out for 5 despite pouring rain the whole way. The extra weight from rain soaked clothes added a little extra pleasure. Happy to get it in. Felt good despite the weather.  Pace was slower for obvious reasons. Off to play raquetball for a couple of hours with my girlfriend, then a power walk tonight while she trains for the 2 day breast cancer walk. Gonna sleep well tonight. Hope so 'cause I'm planning on 4 tomorrow morning before church. Happy easter everyone!  Kris

• WM Blondie Pro 146 posts since
    Apr 3, 2009
    16. Apr 11, 2009 8:36 AM (in response to Becky8846)

It's about the cool t-shirt at the end, the competition, and butterflys in the stomach. Doesn't he know that? I love it!  That is so funny that you wore him out on the run. Keep it up-girl power! I have a feeling I'll be sucked into this every year until my legs fall off. You people are great!! No run today for me- weight training.

GO FASTERS
  • mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Apr 11, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to FLKaren)

Good job Kris!

Karen... how did it go????

It was a 10 mile for me today (longest yet) and I was looking for a 10 min pace.  Here's my splits:

1    09:12

2    09:23    

3    09:38    

4    09:47    

5    09:54    

6    10:23

7    10:37    

8    09:58    

9    09:17    

10    08:42

I was happy with the run...got lost once, and stopped to chat at mile 6, but otherwise it was just me and the trees.  I used the time to recite memory verses that I started trying to learn a few weeks ago.  I did scare up two ducks and one turkey.  One of the ducks took off in front of me and couldn't gather any altitude until he took a huge dump...it was funny, must have woken him up. 

Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    18. Apr 11, 2009 8:58 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

Nice job, Mike!

I just finished 16 miles at 9:18 average pace.  My one and only long training run for CMM, so hopefully it'll do.  Felt really good.

What the crapp is going on on the East Coast?  It's heaven here in Texas, perfect running weather, 45 at the start, 55 at the finish, gentle breeze, mostly sunny.  Unfortunately Easter is supposed to be nonstop severe thunderstorms.  Glad all the kids are too old for Easter egg hunting!  Now I just leave them a basket full of candy and cash.  Seems a little silly for a 21-year-old man though

• andrewblur Legend 530 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    19. Apr 11, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Great job everyone ! And you Nita.9 :18 Wow !  "A basketful of candy and cash.." Sound like a Rascal Flats song.  I think I'll put the idea to music.

To live a life of safety and complacency is to live without passion or purpose.

Wenn Sie es oben haben, erhalten Sie es aufrecht !

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    20. Apr 11, 2009 9:15 AM (in response to FLKaren)

So, I get up this morning for my 20 miler, put on all my gear (Garmin, Body Glide, etc) and head downstairs for a quick PB and Mashmallow Fluff sandwich, and head out the door.  And it's raining - not much but still raining. Well, to heck with the rain. I drive to Quantico, park by McDonalds, and head out. Its about 720AM, and the rain is holding off, though it is pretty humid but the temps are good - right about 55-60 degrees.  Todays route is taking me out to my old stomping grounds at OCS and the trails out there.  Everything is going fine, head out on the trails and I feel great.  Jump a few deer as I start down Iwo Jima trail - always love seeing deer when I run.  Start down Da Nang trail and the sky opens up.  But, I'm still feeling pretty good.  I've got 8 miles down and 12 to go to get my 20 in, but by the time I get off Chosin trail and leave OCS (10 miles down), I look like the largest wet rat you have ever seen.  So I make the decision to head back to Mickie Dees and pick up my car. But I did get a good 14 in.  Glad I stopped when I did as my feet, socks and shoes were soaked.  Good run nonetheless. 

3 weeks to Pittsburgh.  Taper time.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    22. Apr 11, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to FLKaren)

Got back from our Disneyland - Sea World trip yesterday at about 4:00 in the afternoon.  Went for a hard 30 minutes on the bike this morning. Legs are feeling pretty good.  I've got an appointment Monday morning with the physical therapist to make sure everything is on track with the Achilles tendon recovery.  Still the usual morning stiffness, but it feels normal by about mid morning by the time I do my stretching.  After I see this guy Monday, I will have a better idea of when I can lace them up again. My hope is that I will be able avoid the lower leg injuries this year since I have been working pretty hard on stretching and strengthening them.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Apr 11, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to FLKaren)

Well, on the run front, EPIC FAIL.

I went out for "a few miles" (translation, mom: no I don't know how far I'm running, and no I don't know when I'll be back. I know that's not helpful to you, nor does it make for good conversation, but this is a test run to see how my legs are.) and realized after a scant half-mile that there was no way I should be doing anything other than icing, stretching, and resting. The damp and the chill doesn't help, either. Seriously? Legs? On fire. On. Fire.

The good news is, it was a sort of dispersed generalized pain all around the lower shin and calf, in a "sock" shape feeling.....which means it's soft tissue. Which means it's all about the stretching and the ibuprofen, and not about the bone.

The crappy news is, it hurt like he!!.

However, I have to say that this was definitely a case of right injury, right place, right time: on my way through town feeling defeated, I passed a local bakery just as a rather old man slipped off the wet curb and fell down in the parking lot. His wife was ahead of him and unaware--especially since as he's lying there in a puddle on the asphalt, he's hitting the remote unlock button so she doesn't have to stand out in the rain. Um, how about instead of making sure your wife doesn't get wet you do something like yell, "Help! I fell down and am lying in a puddle on the ground and can't seem to get my feet back under me!" Nope, not this guy.

Needless to say, I slammed on my brakes and went over to help him. His wife came rushing over when she realised what had happened, but we couldn't get him on his feet until a third woman (who also came to a screeching halt on the side of Route 12) came up and had him lean forward onto her. She was a bit more sturdy than either his wife or I....we were having no luck with this very tall man.

He seems ok, wouldn't let us call anyone, wouldn't let his wife drive....but was still sitting in his minivan in the parking lot getting his bearings when I finally left.

Yeah, I'm still not enjoying the tight tendons and ligaments, but if I had to curtail a run, this was certainly the one I'm glad I didn't run!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    24. Apr 11, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to thefirecat)

One of those incredibly timely events for you, firecat.  hope you are feeling better.

Nice runs, everyone!

I did 3 in the pouring rain, then came back and did 2X resistance workout...cook hip lifts, side lifts, quadrupeds, dead bugs, broad jumps.

22 tomorrow...and i'm going to easter vigil services just to clear Sunday Easter morning...no more easter egg hunts with all the kids up and out.

then taper time until NJ Marathon on 3may09.

happy running!

Happy Running!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    25. Apr 11, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to JerryX)

Great runs everyone!

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• renegadejb Expert 53 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    26. Apr 11, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

Weather is great here shiner is getitng low need to get my wife to take me to get some more lol. the pork is smelling wonderful can't wait.

Jimmy,Shiner is just to rare to find around here so when I do manage to get it I love every bit of it.

Josh

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Apr 11, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to thefirecat)

Epic Fail Firecat?  No, you were there when someone needed you.  That's a success no matter what you wanted to be doing today! 

Here's to a quick recovery for you.  I know very well the frustrations of legg pain, and not really being able to do anything about it other then Motrin, Ice, Rest, and maybe icecream (Icecream is proven to help everything be a little better). 

Thanks for being there.

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    28. Apr 11, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to thefirecat)

Im so glad it was you to see this and not me- he sounds just like one of my patients- I guess I will be getting a referal....lol. Im sorry you are having such a hard time with your running- Im still in the walking phase after my debacle playing basketball and can only hope I will be able to run the half May 3rd since obviously the full is out of the question. Stretch- stretch and stretch, blah, blah, and blah!

• skigirl60 Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 30, 2008
    29. Apr 11, 2009 1:04 PM (in response to FLKaren)

We ran 5 hilly miles.  It seemed like we had a head wind on every uphill.  Now we get to go to Greg's granddaughter's 5th birthday party.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points