Skip navigation

6365 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2009 2:16 PM by mikeyactive RSS
RyanActive Active.com Staff 87 posts since
Jun 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2009 1:32 PM

Cheap Equipment Ideas?

Hola!

My wife and I just moved into this new house in Southern California, and now we're itching to start our new life. One thing we didn't really move out with us was all of our sports equipment, which we ended up giving to relatives because the U-Haul was full.

Whoops.

We're itching to get our bodies in gear again, especially because the California lifestyle is full of active people. Right down the street from our crib is a batting cage, and I'd love to get a great wood bat and go down and whack some baseballs. I also want to use the basketball courts about a mile away. My wife wants to get something for in our extra bedroom like a treadmill or an elliptical (sp?) so she can get in shape while watching all of her boring shows. She's also thinking about taking up tennis or golf (I kept my golf clubs so I'm all good there).

Here's the problem: Southern California ain't cheap, so we're all for cutting corners. Anyone have any good tips to get some equipment without killing our checkbook? Can you trust sites like ebay for stuff like this or are there other ways?

• MelissaE Community Moderator 39 posts since
    Jun 7, 2007
    1. Apr 16, 2009 1:43 PM (in response to RyanActive)
    Re: Cheap Equipment Ideas?

Welcome to California! It's a beautiful place to get outside. I don't know why your wife wants to run inside on a treadmill when you live in SoCal. Tell her to run outside. That'll save you a TON of money. AND she can enjoy the beautiful weather.

As for the bat and ball and other gear, have you checked garage sales? They usually have lots of good deals. Ebay is also a great way to grab second-hand gear. I have a lot of luck there and on Craigslist.

Good luck!

• mikeyactive Community Moderator 27 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Apr 16, 2009 2:16 PM (in response to RyanActive)
    Re: Cheap Equipment Ideas?

Hey Ryan-

It's funny you mention this, but (shameless plug) I just recently wrote an article about saving money on sports eqiupment.

What MelissaE said was right: garage sales and craigslist are awesome places to find exercise eqiupment. Generally, if you're willing to pick it up and move it yourself, you're likely to get it for a super cheap price. (Maybe even free!)

as for the baseball bat--look at Amazon or a second-hand retailer like Play It Again Sports for a great deal. But be sure to google "(bat manufacturer)" and "user reviews" to find out what other people think before plunking down your cash.

Hope that helps. Good luck and welcome to the left coast.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points