Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18462 Views 163 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2009 7:00 PM by tracyrhymer1979 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 11 Previous Next
  • lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 20, 2009 8:31 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: ***Spring Starters 4/20 - 4/26***

Week three advice? I am repeating week 2, as during the 90 seconds of running I was not really able to talk at all and it takes me the full 2 minutes to recover. How is the jump from 90 seconds to 3 minutes? I am really excited about this program. It seems so DOable!

• digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    17. Apr 20, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just checking in - finally made it to week 2 - (maybe it was the sneakers? lol)

This week trying to get into cross training on off days.

Haven't really  had any bad aches and pains or shin splints (thanks to the stretch video rose post(s) at the beginning of each weeks thread.  Just waiting for my cardio to catch up with the rest of me.

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    18. Apr 20, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Determined: I am in Minneapolis! Thanks for the encouragement. Were you able to talk while running at the beginning?

Digital: Yay, another beginner beginner! We can do it. Did you ever think 60 or 90 seconds of jogging could feel so long?  Push on! 

• Noahkitty Rookie 25 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    19. Apr 20, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi All-

My name is Carolyn and I just completed W1D1 yesterday.  Thank goodness for the rest day in between!  I forgot to stretch and now completely understand why this is such an important first step!!

I am a complete novice at this and looking for all the advice I can get.  I have never run before and at 34yo., full time teacher and mother of two (7 and 5), I decided I need to do something for me.  I have many friends that run and have been completely inspired by them.  I typically don't stick with exercise, so I am determined to make this part of my life.  I know it is still really early, but I enjoyed my walk/run yesterday so much that running could be it for me.  We will see.  I have enjoyed reading the posts in the forum and have already found a ton of helpful info.  Hopefully I will keep you posted on my progression!!  Thanks!

• madvinegal Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Apr 20, 2009 9:17 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just got back from the gym and finished w3d1! I was getting a little bit of a side cramp at the beginning (too much coffee this morning), but it worked itself out and I finished.

Rose - just wanted to give you a big thank you for keeping this site updated and posting the links!

Questions:

Are you planning on running a 5K?: I haven't signed up for any yet, but do plan too. I am actually signed up for the mini-maration in Indianapolis on May 2, but I will be walking that with a neighbor. I am hoping to incorporate some jogging intervals with it though...

What is one fear you have about running a 5K? - passing out by the side of the road or getting picked up by the you are too slow bus!

If you already have, what was your time (don't be ashamed, mine are posted below and they reek!) and what's your goal for your next one? I've done a couple, but it's been a few years ago, time has been between 32:00-34:00. I would love to get one in at 30:00 or under!

Congrats to all!

• CinnamonDolce Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    21. Apr 20, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi all!

Brand spank'n new to this site! Started the C25K a few weeks ago. Yesterday I finished W3D3. I plan on starting week 4 on Wednesday. I have to tell you, that I am so proud of myself. I have NEVER been a runner. In fact I hated even the thought of it. But at the same time, I secretly wished I could be one. I've known about the c25k program for about a year or so. Kept telling myself I'd do it and never did. I'm not sure what changed but I just remember waking up and saying, "I'm running today'. Since then, I've pretty much kept to the schedule. I don't do the typical M W F run. I let my body tell me what I'm ready for. Most of the times though I run one day, rest the next. I'm taking a 2 day break today and tomorrow. I've discovered some knee pain that started up after my W3D2 run. Wasn't bad so I just took some Ibroprophin. But after this last run, it's really been making itself known. That's why I'm taking a 2 day break. Give my knee a chance to heal. I don't know if it's a torn muscle around the knee or what. I'm hoping it's nothing b/c I have really fallen in love with running.

Granted, I haven't hit Week 4 yet, lol! But I have always been a determined soul once I've put my mind to something. I won't push myself overly hard but I won't let myself wimp out either.

In anycase, I just wanted to introduce myself and meet others who are doing a c25k program. Soooo.....Hiya!   

• dgabsch Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    22. Apr 20, 2009 9:54 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi, Newbie here..

Name is Dan, 34 y/o. Married with two small kids and work two jobs, upwards of 55-70 hours/week. Haven't run in over a decade. Started W1 on 4/16, will most likely do that through the rest of this week and start off slowly. Also picked up a new bike on 4/17, haven't been on a bike in nearly two decades. Needless to say I have gone in head first trying to whip myself back into shape, and while round is a shape, it's not one I want to be any longer. I started with diet, now I'm throwing in running and biking. Two months ago I was 65 lbs over my goal weight. As of this moment, I'm 42 lbs away. 

Never thought of taking up running again, but several of my co-workers have cought the fever and over the past two years I watched one co-worker go from over 325 down to 165 and he finished his first IronMan last year. Very impressive! While I have no dreams of every attemping a IronMan.. there is a small triathalon (1/4-15-5K) that is runs right past my house that I've been watchin for the past few years.. It's at the end of July and depending on how my transformation from overworked, and overweight to just overworked goes. I may just dive into the water and try it out.

Just wanted to say "HI" and I'll be checking back weekly to see updates!

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    23. Apr 20, 2009 10:23 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

MNBrian - I too completed the C25K, ran my race, and promptly quit running. Let's make it stick this time!

Tinkymore & Gmaxwell - I think dodging lightning bolts is to advanced for anyone! Hope the weather lets up for both of you. Good luck with week 3!

LittleCaryn - You CAN do it!  Week 5 is manageable, speaking as someone who was scared of it.  That race with the 1/2 mile climbe at the end sounds brutal!

cinlo - When I feel like I have to carry my cell phone (any time I'm not running in my neighborhood, and it came in REALLY handy the day I broke my ankle!), I usually wear my Camelbak, and there's room in there for it.  When I don't feel like wearing the Camelbak, I got a neoprene (waterproof) case for my phone, and I'd stuff in my sport bra (sorry guys!).  Never seemed to chafe or bother me at all, but it is small.

MN Grandma - Rain for you too, huh?  Seems everyone is having rain today (including me).  Hope it stops and you can start week 3!

I'm avoiding work right now, so I better go.  I plan to start week 6 tonight.

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Carrie18830 Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    24. Apr 20, 2009 10:51 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi All -

So this is W1 day 1 for me! I have always wanted to be a runner & realized that I just need to start. 

Wish me luck!

So I guess I get a nex to my name....

• maeberryboo Amateur 117 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    25. Apr 20, 2009 10:57 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just finished W1D3.  I am a little bit emotional (at the risk of sounding silly).  Doing this makes me feel so much better mentally about myself that it really is worth the pain.  Have a great day everybody.

• tconfer Rookie 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    26. Apr 20, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to CinnamonDolce)

Hello there to everybody lots of new people that is good.B-)  I completed W3D2 yesterday and plan on completing week 3 tomorrow. It wasnt so bad. I also had knee pain in week 2 and took extra rest days and it eventually went away thank goodness. It is raining here today also hopefully it will be nice tomorrow so I can finish up week 3. Keep Running everybody and have a great week.

Tracy

Mar 27, 2009
    27. Apr 20, 2009 11:24 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Replies to Questions:

Are you planning on running a 5k?

Yes I am already entered in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge - June 11, 2009 in NYC @ Central Park 

What is your one fear about running a 5k?

That I won't be able to finish - that it would take me hours to finish and by the time i reach the finish line everyone will have gone home lol

Don't have a time - haven't run a full 5K yet - still working on it - Fastest mile I have ever run was 17:40(which is intervals actually)

My goal is to just be able to finish - and to hopefully run most of it. (all in the same day of course) lol

Mar 27, 2009
    28. Apr 20, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to lehuagirl)

not usually until the last two intervals....which seem like they take FOREVER

• threpeat Rookie 39 posts since
    Mar 19, 2007
    29. Apr 20, 2009 11:37 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Good Luck this week everyone! I actually did my W2D1 yesterday. Only thing I can say is no issues today.

I congradulate those who are beginning runners and are "pushing through" and returning runners who are not doing "to much to soon". It is very hard to be patient when you remember what you used to do.

Gene
1 2 3 4 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...