Skip navigation

1530 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 1:24 PM by speedsk8ter RSS
speedsk8ter Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2009 1:24 PM

Different Teachers?

I have always been very athletic as far as cardio goes ( I still am), but have never been very flexible.  Even as a child I excelled in P.E. except for when we did, what back then,was called "tumbling".  I am now 50 (female) and am starting to realize how important it is to be flexible.  So I decided to take a Yoga class as my local LA Fitness, even though I have never liked doing this kind of thing.  After the first class with a particular instructor, I came home extremely frustrated and thinking that I just wasn't cut out for it.  I then decided to give it one more chance and this time had a different teacher.  While I don't love it, I find it at least doable with this other instructor and was something I would be willing to work at.  I also felt good after the class.  The first instructor focused so much on breathing, the "mystical side of Yoga"  and rapidly transitioning from one pose to the other that by the time I figured out how I was supposed to do one pose, she was on to another.  I gave up midway through the class and just left, feeling angry & bad about myself.  The second instructor (the one I like), seems to ease you into poses, fully explaining them, and doesn't try to twist you into a pretzle.  She does tell you how to breath, but not so much that it is distracting.  To me, her class seems more of a "stretch & tone" class, rather than hard core Yoga.  Don't get me wrong, it's not an easy workout, but one that I seem to be able to follow and understand.  My question is this.  Is one teacher doing a different form of Yoga than the other or is it just different teaching styles?  Pehaps the teacher I like knows enough to tailor the workout to her students (older women)?   Maybe I need to be in a Stretch & Tone class, rather than Yoga?  Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points