Skip navigation

7851 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2009 8:30 AM by Myblueeyedgurl RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 21, 2009 7:59 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Just so you all are aware

...of using many post...

This place is like home!!!!

Dec 15, 2007
    31. Apr 21, 2009 8:00 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

...to make one statement?

Jimmy

• goindownsouth01 Pro 497 posts since
    Feb 3, 2008
    32. Apr 22, 2009 4:46 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Just chiming in here...  But...

I am a distance runner.  Yes, even at 239 lbs.  And yes, I too am a Weight Watcher.  Not all of them are like that.  I will say this...  Losing weight is a very personal thing, much like running.  Just like any new situation, if anything, I am sure there is excitement, anxiety, and paranoia when getting into running for the first time.  I know when I decided to start running at 345 lbs, I posted on every friggin board I could find.  I imagine I annoyed a bunch of folks with my standardly repetitive questions.  Looking back, I would be lost without that part of the experience. 

I have generally fouond veteran runners on this board and others to be extremely supportive.  Working weekends in a local Fleet Feet store, I get a ton of beginner questions, just like we do here.  Sometimes it is frustrating, but there is something to be said for sharing your knowledge.

But really, they are no different than any of the rest of us.  They are, at the risk of being presumptious, just trying to be better for themselves in order to be better for those around them.

I love this board and the threads.  MCM will be my first marathon and I am looking forward to the experience and, at some point between now and October 25th, I am sure I will ask a "dumb" question.  Thanks for your tolerance ahead of time.

At least, that's my story anyway...

This is in no way a rant.  If anything else, simply a bit of perspective from someone who has been on that side of the road.

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Be well,

Dan

Reverend for the Church of Phidippides.
    Blogging my journey to MCM 2009 and beyond: http://onestrideatatime.blogspot.com

Dec 15, 2007
    33. Apr 22, 2009 4:56 AM (in response to goindownsouth01)

Dan you are impressive. This board has members on it that chime in now and again that are also "weight watchers." Thanks for the outside view of our community. Continue to due good things and while at times the beginner questions get old they are very important to the running community.

Funny story that I like sharing from time to time is the one I have from the Pensacola Marathon. I was running up close to the front of the running pack and when I rounded this one corner this spectator says to me, "Man it is nice to see a big runner this close to the front!"  Now I am 6' 1" and 185 on average and while that is not big to many in the running community see that as big. I spent the next mile trying to find a mirror to see if I really looked that big.  It gave me a complex for a mile.   You will not have to worry about that in this community and if you ever do let me know and I will hound the person until the go to a different forum.

Weight Watchers are welcome here. Dave, Dan, and I am sure there are others that follow that program.

Jimmy

Feb 3, 2008
    34. Apr 22, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

Dan you are impressive. This board has members on it that chime in now and again that are also "weight watchers." Thanks for the outside view of our community. Continue to due good things and while at times the beginner questions get old they are very important to the running community.

Funny story that I like sharing from time to time is the one I have from the Pensacola Marathon. I was running up close to the front of the running pack and when I rounded this one corner this spectator says to me, "Man it is nice to see a big runner this close to the front!"  Now I am 6' 1" and 185 on average and while that is not big to many in the running community see that as big. I spent the next mile trying to find a mirror to see if I really looked that big.  It gave me a complex for a mile.   You will not have to worry about that in this community and if you ever do let me know and I will hound the person until the go to a different forum.

Weight Watchers are welcome here. Dave, Dan, and I am sure there are others that follow that program.

Jimmy

Thanks, Jimmy.  It is because of folks like you and the many other regulars around here that make this a fantastic resource and sounding board.  Personally, I have NEVER had a bad experience on any of the MCM related threads.  Other Active threads can be, well, more "buyer beware"...

Hell, if you were 6'1" and 185 as a "big" runner, what must people think of ME?  LOL

If only the MCM had an Open Buffalo or Clydesdale division...  I would kill it.

Blogging my journey to MCM 2009 and beyond: http://onestrideatatime.blogspot.com

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    35. Apr 22, 2009 5:10 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I don't see anything bad about sharing the boards with different groups/interests.  I think it's more of a competitive and support kind of thing, whether it's running or losing weight.  And sometimes they overlap...if you run or exercise...one will lose weight! Heck, we even have a Biggest Loser group here.

Stack up those posts...the more posts the more active and more incentive for everyone involved.

Dec 15, 2007
    36. Apr 22, 2009 5:11 AM (in response to goindownsouth01)

Buffalo, clydesdale divisions are tricky and many times more competetive then other divisions.  I consistanly run between 3:20 and 3:50 and every time I get passed by a 200+ pound guy.  Size will make running easier but there is always one big Kenyan.

Jimmy

Feb 3, 2008
    37. Apr 22, 2009 5:19 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

One thing I will NEVER claim to be is fast.  So if I see a Kenyan passing me, it is very likely I started way too far up front.  LOL

Dec 15, 2007
    38. Apr 22, 2009 5:31 AM (in response to goindownsouth01)

goindownsouth01 wrote:

One thing I will NEVER claim to be is fast. So if I see a Kenyan passing me, it is very likely I started way too far up front. LOL

We all have an inner Kenyan!

But that one made me smile and chuckle.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    39. Apr 22, 2009 7:03 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

First, I think that while we all have a competitive spirit, the competition in our sport is within ourselves. Who cares what another group is doing? As others have said, lets be encouraging.

Dan, welcome! There are no dumb questions. You'll learn lots on this board. We're here to help

Also, I love that you signed your post "be well".... I recently started doing loving kindness meditation and in the last month started closing more communication in that way. In the chance you are a loving kindness meditation person, I think this is a really interesting video I found last week:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

Feb 3, 2008
    40. Apr 22, 2009 7:17 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    DCtoPgh wrote:

Dan, welcome! There are no dumb questions. You'll learn lots on this board. We're here to help

Also, I love that you signed your post "be well"....

Thank you.  You are very kind.

I am not sure where the "be well" thing came from, but it is something I have been using for a few years.  I am a volunteer coach for a couch to 5K group in town and I have been known to send them motivational emails on a regular basis.  One day I just tossed "be well" at the end of it.

Once the very first group I coached was finished, they got a t-shirt made for me which said "coach dan" on the front and "be well" on the back.

Karma works, folks.

Dec 15, 2007
    41. Apr 22, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to goindownsouth01)

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Apr 23, 2009 3:40 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

I go away for a copule days and THIS is what I find?  

lol... Karen, you crack me up.

Dan - you're an inspiration.

Hope this post helps...now I guess I'd better get off the couch and off to work.    

Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

Feb 3, 2008
    43. Apr 23, 2009 4:34 AM (in response to mikehelvey)
    mikehelvey wrote:

Dan - you're an inspiration.

Grace and peace,

Mike

Thank you, Mike.  I appreciate that.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...