Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18251 Views 163 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2009 7:00 PM by tracyrhymer1979 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next
  • Gmaxwell39 Amateur 43 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Apr 21, 2009 5:29 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: ***Spring Starters 4/20 - 4/26***

yippee I found a 5K on June 20 here in town! it's the kickoff to a little festival even better my husband and 2 girls can come root me on and then we can hang out for the festival . .. AND my very best friend (since I was 2 and now I'm almost 40 so that tells you something) who lives close by is doing it with me!! (she does 10-miler races so it'll be a breeze for her, but I'll love the moral support!)

*I'm signed up for my first 5K! 28th Annual Waterfront Festival 10K/5K, June 20, Alexandria, Virginia.*
  • Running Momma4 Rookie 56 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    61. Apr 21, 2009 6:42 PM (in response to chr1svee)

I see a few new folks WELCOME!! And let me help you and say ...........YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

chr1svee, Im with you I was pretty sore the first few wks of the program. I really feel like the slow pace of the c25k is to help prevent the injuries we would have if we just took off and ran! I kind of felt like the first 3-4 wks were to get my body used to the running AND my brain....once my brain started to relax and not panic over what I was trying to do I seemed to progress faster! Seriously, all of the sudden I went out to run and I could breathe better and run further!  Keep up the hard work....its worth it!

• cristancanoe Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 10, 2009
    62. Apr 21, 2009 10:20 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I finished week 3!!!! 

I tweaked both my knees friday so I had to take some days off of running.  Today, I just felt like doing it! During the last 3 minute run I decided to just keep going and I ran for 6 whole minutes!  I feel ready for week 4 now. 

• CinnamonDolce Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    63. Apr 22, 2009 4:43 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Yay!

Yesterday I did W4D1. It was tough, but I was able to make it through it. My hubby has been going with me and so we've been running trails and let me tell you, it is kinda fun! Running those trails really takes your mind off of TIME. Your going through the twists and turns, up hill, down hill....there's even a few wooden bridges that go over the water. It's great!

Running for the 5 minutes was tough, especially with only a 90 sec recovery time. I may repeat a day by the end of it b/c I don't want to struggle so much before I move on to the next week. But we'll see!!

Go me!

• tconfer Rookie 18 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    64. Apr 22, 2009 5:19 AM (in response to cristancanoe)

Yay I finished Week 3 also I will start week 4 tomorrow. That last 3 minute run got me but I stuck with it and finished. It was beautiful here in Va Beach yesterday so it was a nice day to run. Welcome to all the new runners you will love this program it has really worked for me. Good Luck to you all out there running today and for those of  you who are on a rest day ENJOY..

Wish me luck on to week 4 YIKES!!!!

Tracy

• Kerrster Rookie 40 posts since
    Mar 18, 2009
    65. Apr 22, 2009 5:38 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hello All,

Everyone is doing so well!  I finished week 5 yesterday after 6 days off!  Life got hectic and crazy and everyday that I wanted to get W5D3 done something came up.  But I did it, and am very proud of myself.  I have been doing every day of this program with my husband and he has been sick the past few days, but I got home from work (in the rain) and changed into my running gear and went out for my run by myself.  It was an amazing experience, I actually got pretty emotional when I finished both laughing and crying as I walked for my cool down.  I only managed 1.75 miles in 20 minutes but surprised myself with a really strong sprint to a far off tree, then telephone pole, then the next tree.  It was like I was unstoppable!  I am thinking back to week one when I could barely run three telephone pole distances, now I am running almost 2 miles and sprinting that 3 pole distance.  AMAZING!  Thanks to all that have been part of the forum world, it is because of reading about your stories that I was able to get to this point.

In response to the 5k question, I am aiming for June 6th, but haven't signed up yet.  Now that I did the 20 minute run I have no doubt that I will make myself proud at a 5k and will therefore sign up in the next couple of days.  Keep up the great work everyone....can you believe we are turning out couch potato selves into real runners?!

To love oneself is the beginning of a life long romance. -Oscar Wilde

Graduated C25K - May 29th

Celebrate West Hartford 5K -- June 14th --  38:49

• cinlo Rookie 63 posts since
    Apr 18, 2008
    66. Apr 22, 2009 5:53 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I did W3D2 this morning. So far so good. Not easy by any means, but I did it! I think I'm looking forward to challenging myself in Week 4 although 5 mins. still seems scary!

• FrancesRe Rookie 92 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    68. Apr 22, 2009 7:21 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

It's so fun to see you all progress.  Time is really going by for all of us and you all are doing so well!  I enjoy reading the updates.

I went out 2 days in a row Sunday/Monday, so Tuesday I just walked 2 miles in 40 minutes, nice and slow 20 min mile pace.  Today is a walk/jog day for me though so I'll be back to report. Have a good Run everyboday!

Run/Walk/Run.........................Started 3-19-09
    5K, 5/3/09 39:45
    5K, 7/25/09 37:50

• Kerrster Rookie 40 posts since
    Mar 18, 2009
    69. Apr 22, 2009 7:36 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Holy Moly Rose!!!  You are doing awesome, keep up the GREAT work!!!

To love oneself is the beginning of a life long romance. -Oscar Wilde

Graduated C25K - May 29th

Celebrate West Hartford 5K -- June 14th --  38:49

• Carrie18830 Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    70. Apr 22, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi Everyone!

So I finished W1D1 on Monday & am planning on completing W1D2 tonight. I  am starting this because I would like to lose some pounds but I have also always envied the joy (and less stress) that runners seem to have. 

I have two questions: I am planning on running inside for the first couple of weeks because it's easier for the time tracking - how difficult is it to transition outside and how do you "track" your timing once outside?

AND - What do you do on your days off?  I don't want to push myself so last night I did some light cardio & strength training but I feel like I could spend more time walking/jogging than 3 days. 

Thanks,

Newbie in MD

• Gmaxwell39 Amateur 43 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    71. Apr 22, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to Carrie18830)

Carrie . . . I only walk/run outside, my ipod has a stopwatch on it which I used at first, now I've transitioned into using my ipod+Nike chip that tracks and gives me a running tally on the ipod of time/mph/and distance. I LOVE it!

I do walk on some of my days off . . . or I do pilates (I have a bunch of dvd's).

*I'm signed up for my first 5K! 28th Annual Waterfront Festival 10K/5K, June 20, Alexandria, Virginia.*
  • lissarose Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009
    72. Apr 22, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hey all, complete newbie here.

I just did week 1 day 2 today and I am having a TOUGH TIME.  I am not a runner, nor am I an athlete, but my weight loss seems to be stalled and I'm pretty certain it's because I don't exercise.  I have been looking at the couch to 5k program for about 4 months now and even downloaded podcasts back in January, but just now got off my butt and decided to give it a shot.

Anyway, I can only make it through 4 1/2 60-second runs right now.  And that kills me!  I walk the rest of the time.  Please, please tell me it'll get better if I keep at it!!!  I feel so lame for not being able to complete WEEK ONE!

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    73. Apr 22, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Carrie. I use my kitchen timer and set it for 2:30. I start it and run until it says 1:30, (60 sec) then walk until it beeps and start all over again. I do not mind carrying it so far, it's pretty compact. Now I am in week 2 and I adjusted the times. I will have to get something to measure distance pretty soon.

• Neecan Rookie 17 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    74. Apr 22, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi everyone,

I started my second round of week 3 last night.  I had a busy week the week before last and coudn't get any runs in.  When i tried the last day of week 3 if felt awful.  so I want to repeat and give it another try.  W3D1 last night was not bad at all thanks to the B52's, and a few others!!  I hope to get in day 2 tonight if farm team (baseball) gets rained out, which i am secretly hoping for, just can't admit that one to my son though. 

Will have to do it indorrs because the thunderstorms are forcast to be pretty bad.  By the weekend they are calling for 80"s:p   Looking forward to that and so is my running partner, the border collie. 

keep running

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...